Bmw S1000rr

Looks mega, I've been having a read of MCN's review. I see it's at the top of the page now ^^^^^

Any more info CSS guys??

;)

Its a US thing, we're having Yamaha's again in the UK in 2010. A full fleet of R1's for the coaches, and R6's for hire bikes. :lol:

I have to say, the new BMW does look like an excellent bike though for sure. No doubt we'll get a student or two on them next year, hopefully get a ride on one!

Bullet

Level I no brakes drill will no be performed in 5th gear to keep punters like me from slingshoting ourselves in to the air fences.

BMW? Have they gone quite mad? Really? BMW? Damn.

Congratulations on landing the new sponsorship.

Kawi had to cut back so they stopped in 2008. So even though I personally won't be running out to buy a S1000 anytime soon the sponsorship is great news because it means if I can find the time I can go do level 4 again in 2010 (and by 'anytime soon' I mean 'never' :)).

Is this something we can just try, or is it the bikes CSS will be using? Why go up to 1000, when 600's sell more, and most riders have them?

I'm thinking that too. Just registered for 2 day camp @ Barber, and the BMW is the listed bike for the camp. I've never trusted myself on a litre bike, on the street or the track, and the thought makes me pucker a bit, should I be concerned?

I'm pretty excited about the S 1000 RR. I have been intrigued by it ever since the Aug '09 Cycle World article came out, I couldn't find it online but if I run across it I'll post it here.

From what I've read it really seems like the best 1000 for the $ currently being produced. My favorite quote from the mag was from the general director of BMW Moto, Hendrik von Kuenheim, who said "We have seen the end of the horsepower race. The future is in driveability". In my opinion, that is spot on because for a bike like the S 1000 rr, which has 193 horsepower, to really be rideable you pretty much need some kind of sophisticated traction control to smooth out the peaks and valley of the torque curve. As far as I know, the BMW is the first to offer that outside of an ($15,000 ???) upgrade on the Desmosidici.

Anyway, I haven't even ridden the bike but my point is that this is the first 1000 made in a long time that has really interested me, AND I am really happy to see a new player in the sportbike arena.

The future is in driveability".

It will have to be a sensational system on the BMW to be more tractable and rider friendly than the flat plane crank on the new R1, It can only be described as senastional for throttle feel I assure you, I've felt nothing like it in my life, smooth, linear, power. Driving the R1 this year to the stop, first gear on GP Racer tyres in inch deep water, was just incredibly good and easy, not a scarry moment in sight.

I guess we'll see when the bikes all come together to be tested sometime soon!

Bullet

As far as I know, the BMW is the first to offer that outside of an ($15,000 ???) upgrade on the Desmosidici.

The BMWMotorrad web site http://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/us/en/index.html says that their traction control system is an add-on option. I'm not sure if the ABS is also an option or is standard equipment but the traction control is definitely an extra cost item.

That said, it sounds like it is an awesome motorcycle and one that I cannot wait to ride at the School next spring. The combination of ABS and TC coupled with 193 HP in a 404 lbs. bike is almost an incomprehensible package.

Rainman

As far as I know, the BMW is the first to offer that outside of an ($15,000 ???) upgrade on the Desmosidici.

The BMWMotorrad web site http://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/us/en/index.html says that their traction control system is an add-on option. I'm not sure if the ABS is also an option or is standard equipment but the traction control is definitely an extra cost item.

That said, it sounds like it is an awesome motorcycle and one that I cannot wait to ride at the School next spring. The combination of ABS and TC coupled with 193 HP in a 404 lbs. bike is almost an incomprehensible package.

Rainman

According to my Cycle World the DTC and the Race ABS are both options.

Rainman

According to my Cycle World the DTC and the Race ABS are both options.

You can have the ABS itself but to get the DTC it works hand in hand with the ABS,

Here in the UK the options are

S1000RR basic model

S1000RR sport model which includes DTC, Race ABS, and a very clever quick shifter!

I wonder which model the school will have?

Bobby

Hi All,

Sorry for the lengthy absence, when we got back from Laguna, I took the weekend off, and it's been on the gas this week!

Here is some info for you guys: I rode a pre-production model at the track a little over a month ago. How about just a flat WOW! Keith and a few of the coaches got to ride it too. Keith has also ridden the new R-1, and the new Duc at a recent test, so he had a great comparison.

I did just a few laps, it was one of (the only?) running bike on the West Coast at the time. The engine is linear, man, there are no surprises, doesn't come on in a scary way, but there is what ever you need, whenever you want it--personally, I like that. You don't have to use it, but it's there.

More to come...

CF