Css In The Rain

I did Level 1 at Rockingham last year which was fantastic. The morning was just a revelation (in the dry) and the afternoon was good, but the rain (torrential) dampened more than just the track.

I've realised the only thing holding me back from immediately booking my Level 2 at Brands in May is the thought that it might rain for the whole day. Now I know you guys are good but even you can't control the weather!

What are your guys thoughts on doing the drills in the wet and in your experience, how does this affect the students?

If any of you guys have done CSS in the rain, what did you think of the experience - good? Bad?

Thanks in advance,

Paul

Hi Paul,

Highly biased opinion from me, so here you go:

The techniques absolutely apply to rain riding, and what we often see is very nice improvements on wet days. Granted, it's not as ideal as the dry, but often if the student can keep himself warm and dry, then just work on the techniques at a skill/speed level he is comfortable at, we get a great result.

I hope other students do chime in, get a less biased view.

CF

Hi Paul,

Highly biased opinion from me, so here you go:

The techniques absolutely apply to rain riding, and what we often see is very nice improvements on wet days. Granted, it's not as ideal as the dry, but often if the student can keep himself warm and dry, then just work on the techniques at a skill/speed level he is comfortable at, we get a great result.

I hope other students do chime in, get a less biased view.

CF

Paul;

After a number of Schools in the rain (3 of 4 at Laguna alone) I was tagged with the moniker I use today. That said I have come to really appreciate the opportunity that a School day in the rain offers. If for no other reason than necessity, and if you were the least bit skeptical about the value of good throttle control, riding in the rain will remove your doubts quickly.

The opening two-day camp at Laguna last year saw rain in the morning on day 1 and rain in the afternoon day 2 so we had no choice but to confront the challanges rain provided. After flying 3000 mikes to attend, sitting out wasn't an option I was willing to consider but I was prepared. I had rain gear (cheap Wal*Mart pull over pants and hooded jacket that cost less then 35 bucks) that kept me dry so that getting chilled wasn't a distraction [this item was a big deal]. I was able to use each successive lap to push the limits of traction ever so slightly and could actually get the rear just loose enough to need to practice the art of throttle maintenace until the rear hooked up before resuming the throttle roll on as instructed. The hook turn was also an excellent tool to utilize in the rain because it didn't require additional lean angle (scarry in the rain) to tighten up a corner (Andretti Hairpin comes to mind) so I came full circle on the idea of riding in the rain.

Rainman

I did Level 1 at Rockingham last year which was fantastic. The morning was just a revelation (in the dry) and the afternoon was good, but the rain (torrential) dampened more than just the track.

I've realised the only thing holding me back from immediately booking my Level 2 at Brands in May is the thought that it might rain for the whole day. Now I know you guys are good but even you can't control the weather!

What are your guys thoughts on doing the drills in the wet and in your experience, how does this affect the students?

If any of you guys have done CSS in the rain, what did you think of the experience - good? Bad?

Thanks in advance,

Paul

Mate,

You live in the UK, course there is a good chance it'll rain. :lol:

Seriously though, we usually get no crashes on a day when it's wet allday, (changeable conditions are where we have issues normally) and as Cobie and Rainman put across, we get just as good results in the rain as we do in the dry.

Think of it this way, you might be out oneday when it rain,s doing a school will give you the confidence that you can ride around without a problem and get home safely.

Am sure you'll get some students chiming in at some point.

Bullet

Unfortunately you're just going to have to book it and hope - because if you thought level 1 was good you'll be amazed at what level 2 offers.

The rain? I don't think anyone likes riding in the rain, but after a full day of it I'm usually asking myself what all the fuss was about. My perfect track day at a new track is a wet morning, drying in the afternoon.

Muppett

Greetings,

I've done CSS and another school in the rain. Both approaches stressed the need to be smooth with your inputs and that experience made for better awareness when you are riding in the dry again.

Once you get in a couple of laps, you really forget that it is wet (except for when it is freezing in addition to being wet) and concentrate on the lessons and applying them smoothly.

Thanks in advance,

Paul

Mate,

You live in the UK, course there is a good chance it'll rain. :lol:

Seriously though, we usually get no crashes on a day when it's wet allday, (changeable conditions are where we have issues normally) and as Cobie and Rainman put across, we get just as good results in the rain as we do in the dry.

Think of it this way, you might be out oneday when it rain,s doing a school will give you the confidence that you can ride around without a problem and get home safely.

Am sure you'll get some students chiming in at some point.

Bullet

I don't mind riding in the rain - I ride all winter long through choice, not necessity! :blink:

I suppose if I'm really honest I'm thinking, 'I'm on a track, I want to see what the bike and I can do, I want it hot and dry :rolleyes: '. I know this isn't the right approach and so therefore the rain shouldn't be an issue...

Thanks all for your replies

See you in May!

When we get guys in the US, or coming to the US that really would like a dry day, I recommend they consider one of the desert tracks, like Streets of Willow, or Vegas. Very rarely do we have rain issues there.

CF

may the 10th at brands please dont rain im a pussy in the rain . i just think im going to fall of on every corner unsure.gif

may the 10th at brands please dont rain im a pussy in the rain . i just think im going to fall of on every corner unsure.gif

Nic,

Sssshhhhhhhh!!!! ( My fingers are crossed though!!)

ive been looking at the weather buddy ha ha blink.gif looks cold but dry im not saying one more thing now. i think i mite call my self the weather man ive been looking all bloody week laugh.gif

ive been looking at the weather buddy ha ha blink.gif looks cold but dry im not saying one more thing now. i think i mite call my self the weather man ive been looking all bloody week laugh.gif

Nic;

You need to be careful here or your nickname may change to Nic the Rain Trucker...DAMHIK!

Rainman

laugh.gif good one i like that name rainman its so much better being in my truck wen it raining im in my comfort zone .im of to holland soon for the gp on my bike it rains all the time there how niceblink.gif

• 4 weeks later...

I was at VIR on 17 May for Level 1; it rained pretty much the whole day. Wet, cold, and nasty, and I had a great time.

A couple of observations:

- Trevor started each track session with a reminder that it was cold and wet, and that we should take it easy for the first few laps--just in case we'd somehow forgotten as we sat in the rain--but the reminder shows the school's emphasis on safety. The classroom sessions followed up, emphasizing the need for good throttle control 'in conditions like this'.

- I'm really glad I used the school's bike...traction control/rain mode, plus not having to worry about trashing my bike in a fall helped me get more out of the day. If I'd been on my 848, I probably would've dropped out.

- I was soaked after the first session. I usually choose to not ride in the rain, but if I had to do it again, I'd bring some sort of rain gear that'll fit over the leathers; rainex wipes for the visor; latex gloves for under the gloves; a hat for walking around between sessions; and some warmer clothes for under the leathers that I can bleach the hell out of later.

I might've/would've gone faster on a dry day, but for a first-track experience I think slowing things allowed me to spend more concentration on the lessons and learning the environment, and the water on the track just served to hammer the points on throttle control/bike handling home.

Come prepared, and don't sweat the weather.

-Roger

I was at VIR on 17 May for Level 1; it rained pretty much the whole day. Wet, cold, and nasty, and I had a great time.

A couple of observations:

- Trevor started each track session with a reminder that it was cold and wet, and that we should take it easy for the first few laps--just in case we'd somehow forgotten as we sat in the rain--but the reminder shows the school's emphasis on safety. The classroom sessions followed up, emphasizing the need for good throttle control 'in conditions like this'.

- I'm really glad I used the school's bike...traction control/rain mode, plus not having to worry about trashing my bike in a fall helped me get more out of the day. If I'd been on my 848, I probably would've dropped out.

- I was soaked after the first session. I usually choose to not ride in the rain, but if I had to do it again, I'd bring some sort of rain gear that'll fit over the leathers; rainex wipes for the visor; latex gloves for under the gloves; a hat for walking around between sessions; and some warmer clothes for under the leathers that I can bleach the hell out of later.

I might've/would've gone faster on a dry day, but for a first-track experience I think slowing things allowed me to spend more concentration on the lessons and learning the environment, and the water on the track just served to hammer the points on throttle control/bike handling home.

Come prepared, and don't sweat the weather.

-Roger

Roger;

Excellent post and I share your sentiments about riding in the rain.

The School used to go to Watkins Glen and it rained there often whether it was their spring School or their fall School, it always seemed to include some rain. Anyway Judy Code suggested that I go to Wal*Mart and buy a cheap set of standard rain outerwear but buy a size too big and wear the pants and jacket over my leathers. The rain gere I am wearing in my avitar photo is the same set I bought in 2002. I think a replacement cost would be about 40 dollars now. The latex gloves you can buy at Rite-Aid or Walgreens and it is always a good idea to bring your inexpensive rain covers to any track event you attend.

Rainman

I was there as well doing level 2. For sure dry would have been more fun but I felt I was able to learn what I was supposed to learn; I'll work on it at speed on my next (hopefully dry) track day. I can say though I've never gone so fast in the rain!

• 2 months later...

I've been fortunate enough to do both levels 1 and 2 in the dry, although level 1 was at Stowe and it had only just stopped raining. We weren't really going fast enough for the wet to be a big problem. The first couple of bends at Stowe (Silverstone) have a nasty section where the old paint has been removed, this was very slippery in the damp, but added a new dimension to the throttle control drill, when you really can feel one end or the other (or both) trying to break away!