Would You Agree With This?

Hi Guys,

I found this on the "interweb" and wondered what you thought? (we will forget about the knee down bit) but was allways under the impression that when cornering you should be low over the tank and parralell but to the side of the bike on the inside of the corner.

Looking at these pictures the best method (and I define best as being the one where you can go quickest and safest, i.e most grip) looks like pic no 3.

This has the least lean angle, so i would assume has the highest speed?? But the rider is quite high, allthough he is parralell and to the inside of the turn.

I am not worried about looking good (pic 4) but would rather be the safest....allthough looking at pic 4 he seems low but not really hanging off paralell

Just wondered what your thoughts were?

post-16839-1272447649_thumb.jpg

I'd like to see what the riders actual speed was in each of the various pictures personally. There's a few threads on Body Position on the forum already, I like the one in the first link best. None of the examples in the pic you posted look ideal to my eye. Also, you mentioned that in pic 3 the rider looks parallel but that's not the way he looks to me.

*LINK*

*LINK*

*LINK*

I'd like to see what the riders actual speed was in each of the various pictures personally. There's a few threads on Body Position on the forum already, I like the one in the first link best. None of the examples in the pic you posted look ideal to my eye. Also, you mentioned that in pic 3 the rider looks parallel but that's not the way he looks to me.

*LINK*

*LINK*

*LINK*

Hi,

Thanks for those links interesting reading, i will read them again a few times over a cuppa to fully sink in :)

Ta

I have a question... Note that I am due for Level 3 in 2 weeks but I still want to ask now...

When riders speak of Body Position we speak of hanging off style, Kiss the Wrist or Mirror, opening hips and getting body low and to the inside...

Am I right in thinking that this low and to the inside position is MAINLY from apex to end of corner or at least when you are getting good drive out of the corner??

In other words, I never see anyone get into this position WHILE turning in... I kinda notice that while turning in, the pros turn pretty slowly over (I assume that this is because they are trailbraking up til apex and therefore cannot quickturn), with their body off to the side but pretty high up (not low on the tank)

I notice that they get low very gradually and about the time they are getting into the throttle roll on and then drive out of the corner that they really get low, ala Hook Turn???

I don't know what I am asking apart from, are my observations correct?? I ask this because the first post with the 5 positions, it states that straight up gives more traction... and it just made me thing of what part of the corner these guys were in these different positions...

I guess I can't wait to ask these questions in school and be able to experiment with it on track...

I find it very hard to believe that the difference between sitting straight and leaning in is that of 52 and 39 degrees at the same speed. No way. Hailwood cornered just as fast as those hanging off back in the late 70s. Yes, I'm aware that style has evolved, but still - 13 degrees difference is MASSIVE.

For street riding, I very much prefer picture/style #1 most of the time, although I sometimes shift my weight slightly inwards or push the bike slightly down from time to time if that feels natural for a given corner.

DJM,

The rider doesn't have as much of his body to the inside in the last 2 photos. Even up high, his upper body is more to the inside, than in the other where he is lower.

CF

Mr. Magic,

I love that picture! It reveals a lot. What I see superbike racers doing, and what I try to do to a much lesser extent, is get in position BEFORE the turn, then stay locked with the bike and go with the bike as I lean it over. I'm trying NOT to change my position relative to the bike at the apex (or anywhere else) unless I feel or see a problem.

Sometimes, I seem to imagine I'm getting into position, but when I'm in the turn I realize I'm pushing the bike down or want to carry less lean angle. Then I'll lean more inside and the bike springs right back up--it looks like 5 degrees!

This is on my ride to work, so my riding position is nothing radical--I just move my weight to the inside of the saddle and lean my upper body forward and into the turn maybe 2"-4". The forward lean seems to make at LEAST as much difference as the inside lean. My theory is that leaning forward makes me bend my elbows and suddenly, "Hey, look Ma! I can turn the bike!"

Also, when I using standard throttle control the bikes works so much better it's not funny. I hope this helps.

Best wishes,

Crash106