Level 4 Report From Silverstone, Uk.

How much more can you learn through the CSS programme…..loads is the answer. I have just completed Level 4 at Silverstone and I’m amazed at how much more I was able to improve.

The day started off with an individual programme assessment, identifying areas that needed help, then drills to target those specific areas. Each rider has their own agenda for which areas they want to improve upon, but as with most things in riding, we all seem to struggle with the usual suspects, VISION and LINE. As the sessions progressed, the on-track coach (Bullet) and Level 4 liaison coach (Badger) began to really focus in on the problems we were having and getting them corrected. For me especially, being a paraplegic added another dimension for the guys to think about, as I’m unable to move about the bike. We tried a number of different ways to help me keep the bike steady whist braking and going into the corners, some worked well whilst others were canned. The overall result was that on the final session I was riding faster, smoother, on the right line and loving every second. Well, that was up to the point where my right foot came out of the stirrup and started dragging behind me. I had to stop as I didn’t know how long it was going to take for the toe of the boot to wear out and then start grinding down my foot. There weren’t any marshals around, no Bullet, no barricades, no grass, so I spied the large gravel trap, decided it was the best place to stop and fall over into and made my way slowly over. It’s a weird feeling knowing you are about to fall over and it could hurt, but I knew it was preferable to losing my toes, as although I can’t feel them I quite like them being there! The gravel proved to be quite soft, but the bike was trapping me underneath it and the exhaust burnt through the boot and has left a large burn on my foot, at least it’s still there. Very quickly the coaches were around me, the bike lifted off, the medical services arrived and I was soon back in the pits and looking at the bike, which escaped with nothing more than a few pebble scratches. Looks like the Velcro came un-glued from the base of the boot and as I am now leaning on my knees to lock me in for turning, the pressure must have pushed them off.

All in all a great day, everyone at CSS made me feel so welcomed and at ease. It made for a great learning environment and I can’t wait to come back to repeat Level 4 time and time again, as I know I can never stop learning and improving.

My time spent with CSS has helped me to gain my ACU licence and I hope to complete my first race on 4th September. I just have to get my stabilizer unit approved by the ACU and we’re good to go. Once again, my thanks go to all at CSS.

Christ mate you should be on 60 minutes at least it would be worth watching. I thought I was having a shi??ty week, then I read this and it doesnt seem so bad... mind you I get the same feeling as you..expecting to fall off every time I get on the trackbiggrin.gif

Hi Talan,

Well, may I first say, what an honour and privilege it was to work with you the other day. Badger and myself both really enjoyed it, you're just a dream student really. You're attitude, your attentiveness, and your ability to comprehend and acknowledge what we observe is absolutely brilliant. It just makes my job as on track coach great, and badger commented on how easy you were to work with as L4 liasion. Come again, I'll work with you mate, and you go alright as well. wink.gif

I have to say, your relaxed manner about the crash is just brilliant. I was at the end of the straight and saw a bike go straight on, and as I got closer, I realised it was you, and started to panic as I saw you lying under your bike. As I pulled over quickly and got the session red flagged, you were just remarkably cool about the whole incident. When I got a couple of coaches and staff to help out, you were just laughing and joking about wanting to keep your toes. My favourite quote was when you were being checked by the medical guys, and you said" I'm paralyzed", and the medics face was a picture when he'd not actually twigged you meant "Already". rolleyes.gif

I'm really glad you see the value in your coaching, and you're without doubt improving all the time. Keep practising sir, keep those visuals strong, and you'll see really great improvement in your racing in no time.

Keep us posted my friend.

Bullet

How much more can you learn through the CSS programme…..loads is the answer. I have just completed Level 4 at Silverstone and I'm amazed at how much more I was able to improve.

The day started off with an individual programme assessment, identifying areas that needed help, then drills to target those specific areas. Each rider has their own agenda for which areas they want to improve upon, but as with most things in riding, we all seem to struggle with the usual suspects, VISION and LINE. As the sessions progressed, the on-track coach (Bullet) and Level 4 liaison coach (Badger) began to really focus in on the problems we were having and getting them corrected. For me especially, being a paraplegic added another dimension for the guys to think about, as I'm unable to move about the bike. We tried a number of different ways to help me keep the bike steady whist braking and going into the corners, some worked well whilst others were canned. The overall result was that on the final session I was riding faster, smoother, on the right line and loving every second. Well, that was up to the point where my right foot came out of the stirrup and started dragging behind me. I had to stop as I didn't know how long it was going to take for the toe of the boot to wear out and then start grinding down my foot. There weren't any marshals around, no Bullet, no barricades, no grass, so I spied the large gravel trap, decided it was the best place to stop and fall over into and made my way slowly over. It's a weird feeling knowing you are about to fall over and it could hurt, but I knew it was preferable to losing my toes, as although I can't feel them I quite like them being there! The gravel proved to be quite soft, but the bike was trapping me underneath it and the exhaust burnt through the boot and has left a large burn on my foot, at least it's still there. Very quickly the coaches were around me, the bike lifted off, the medical services arrived and I was soon back in the pits and looking at the bike, which escaped with nothing more than a few pebble scratches. Looks like the Velcro came un-glued from the base of the boot and as I am now leaning on my knees to lock me in for turning, the pressure must have pushed them off.

All in all a great day, everyone at CSS made me feel so welcomed and at ease. It made for a great learning environment and I can't wait to come back to repeat Level 4 time and time again, as I know I can never stop learning and improving.

My time spent with CSS has helped me to gain my ACU licence and I hope to complete my first race on 4th September. I just have to get my stabilizer unit approved by the ACU and we're good to go. Once again, my thanks go to all at CSS.

Talan, after reading your experience on your level 4 class. I just have to tell you "GOD BLESS YOU".

You showed the will and determination with the end result of your accomplishment. Something to be proud of.

it gives me encouragment to continue learning and taking the rest of the levels with CSS. My regards to you with all the respect you deserve. Keep it going and again God Bless you.

The razor

Just had a phone call from an ACU representative, in-fact the same representative that said I had the "green light" to go racing provided the stabilisers were modified, telling me that the ACU had decided that I wasn't going to be issued a race licence for any event that involved mass starts - ie racing on tracks. As you can imagine I am not impressed.

Just had a phone call from an ACU representative, in-fact the same representative that said I had the "green light" to go racing provided the stabilisers were modified, telling me that the ACU had decided that I wasn't going to be issued a race licence for any event that involved mass starts - ie racing on tracks. As you can imagine I am not impressed.

Gutted mate, though of course, you're not going to leave it like this are you? wink.gif

Give them pain mate.

Bullet

Gutted mate, though of course, you're not going to leave it like this are you? wink.gif

Give them pain mate.

Bullet

I have already contacted the other paraplegic who races motorcycle/sidecar, and will wait for the official letter to arrive before passing it on to a lawyer for appeal and possible discrimination.

I am trying very hard to remain an ocean of calm!

T

Give them pain mate.

Bullet

I have already contacted the other paraplegic who races motorcycle/sidecar, and will wait for the official letter to arrive before passing it on to a lawyer for appeal and possible discrimination.

I am trying very hard to remain an ocean of calm!

T

Bugger the calm mate do your nut!!! what a bunch of wank.....ers

Well done on your riding (and controlled crashing!) :D It's SO great to see and hear of your unlimited approach to life. Another fellow down this way (Sydney) is in the advanced group on trackdays, we're the guys (staff) at the pit exit who 'catch' him if there's a problem during the lineup at pit exit.

Why do I love it so much? You've turned a challenge into constant levels to conquer, and you're accomplishing all your goals! and in such a humble way. Way to go Talan!!!!

Maybe ACU are just afraid of what they don't know? Any chance ACU would let you get your foot in the door by doing a rear-of-grid assisted start for the first round to give them an understanding of how real you are - you might just be a name on a piece of paper right now.

Hi Talan,

Saw you doing your L4 while I was doing L2 but didnt get chance to come over and say hi. Like all the above points I think it is great what you are doing and you will for sure be inspiring a whole lot of people. I can imagine if I was in your position right now that I would be going crazy with the response but cant help thinking that you will get a better result if you keep your cool for the time being, might be worth asking the ACU for the regs under which the motorcycle sidecar guy can race and comparing them with the bike ones. Like Jason has mentioned a well set out proposal if they remain in the position that you are not allowed would be hard to turn down, if like Jason suggested the risk elements were minimised, I.e assisted start or whatever they have issue with.

Keep going friend, they are bound to cave in eventually!

Andy

• 3 months later...

hi Talan

i take my hat off to you mate . don,t think i,ve had chance to meet but hopefully will .

theres me thinking i,m quite commited at times but reading your efforts knocks mine in to touch .

all the best for the future .

• 1 year later...

Thought this thread was worthy of a bump up, Talan is racing this weekend!

Link to article

http://www.bikesport...end&newsid=7304

best of luck fella!

Best of luck Talan!

And thanks for posting the link. I hope we get to see how he does. Post up any results you find.