Hello From Germany (Introduction)

Hi, my name is Uli (52 y/o, male, 2009 fireblade), I'm from Germany (near swiss border, black forest, turns and turns everywhere, a bikers paradise).

I've been driving motorcycles on and off for 35 years now . I just read TOTW 1 + 2 , I find it quite amazing that I drive turns now faster and safer (with 0 to 10 degrees Celsius outside) than during summer (which is both good and embarressing ;-) ) . I've attended several motorcycle security trainings but what you guys teach people is way beyond anything I've ever gotten as "good advice"...

what can I say.....thank you :-)

Uli

welcome Uli,

I have riden alot of your roads between Germany, Switzerland, and Austria and they really are quite amazing, anyway get posting about the areas of the books that opened your eyes the most!

Bobby

welcome Uli,

I have riden alot of your roads between Germany, Switzerland, and Austria and they really are quite amazing, anyway get posting about the areas of the books that opened your eyes the most!

Bobby

Hello Bobby, :-)

I'm all into TOTW 2 (got me both the book and the DVD)

My biggest improvements came from:

-the throttle rule ("once the throttle is cracked open....") : I used to be a "let it roll"-guy, not really paying any attention to when and where I rolled on the throttle... now I have this new safe feeling going through turns.. it's a diffence like day and night.

-"Power steering" : you know, I had already thought about getting superbike handlebars for my fireblade, but that's all history now... the blade is perfect as it is for flipping it into corners using the "power steering" method.

-Too tight on the bars : I had never really held on to the bars, but not leaning on the bars conciously added more safety, especially when going downhill.

-The twostep viewing technique : takes some time to learn (or get used to), but it makes things much easier, again, it's the doing it conciously that makes the big difference, before that I never looked into the curve before I had reached the turn point.

haven't tried much hanging off yet (too cold) , althought with the "power steering" I sometimes automatically stick my knee out (depends on the turn)... but haven't yet tried changing the knee position prior to entering the turn..(yes, the bike wiggles <G>)

... can't wait till it gets warmer outside

Uli

• 5 weeks later...

Hallo Uli, herzlich willkommen in diesem tollen Forum.

Hi Uli, welcome to the cool forum. :rolleyes:

How tall are you?

I am looking at getting a 2009 Fireblade later this year (after Level I and II in April).

Any advice be most appreciated.

Currently riding my 2009 Kawa 650r.

Are you close to Stuttgart?

In case you are wondering (I'm originally from Austria). :)

Tschüß,

Klaus

Hi, my name is Uli (52 y/o, male, 2009 fireblade), I'm from Germany (near swiss border, black forest, turns and turns everywhere, a bikers paradise).

I've been driving motorcycles on and off for 35 years now . I just read TOTW 1 + 2 , I find it quite amazing that I drive turns now faster and safer (with 0 to 10 degrees Celsius outside) than during summer (which is both good and embarressing ;-) ) . I've attended several motorcycle security trainings but what you guys teach people is way beyond anything I've ever gotten as "good advice"...

what can I say.....thank you :-)

Uli

Welcome Uli. I lived in Germany for a couple of years in my late teens/early 20's. and miss it so much. I started riding at 28 years old, and now understand all the experiences I missed starting so late. Would have loved to have ridden there.

How tall are you?

I am looking at getting a 2009 Fireblade later this year (after Level I and II in April).

Tschüß,

Klaus

Hi Klaus, thanks for the welcome :-)

I'm 5' 11'' (1.77 meters) tall, the Fireblade fits perfectly for me. I live near Freiburg, Stuttgart is about 200km's from here.

Fireblade is the best bike I've ever had, just make sure you always watch the speedometer, at least until you're used to it, when I got it new the first day I got a speeding ticket ;-)

See you around,

Uli

Welcome Uli. I lived in Germany for a couple of years in my late teens/early 20's. and miss it so much. I started riding at 28 years old, and now understand all the experiences I missed starting so late. Would have loved to have ridden there.

Hello Jasonzilla :-)

what can I say, Germany is still there, you know ..come on over and ride your brains out :lol:

I've seen many of your posts, I bet you would have a lot of fun here.

Thanks for the warm welcome.

Uli

How tall are you?

Tschüß,

Klaus

Hi Klaus, thanks for the welcome :-)

I'm 5' 11'' (1.77 meters) tall, the Fireblade fits perfectly for me. I live near Freiburg, Stuttgart is about 200km's from here.

Fireblade is the best bike I've ever had, just make sure you always watch the speedometer, at least until you're used to it, when I got it new the first day I got a speeding ticket ;-)

See you around,

Uli

Hi Uli,

Thank you for the feedback. I'm 6'2" (so another 3" - have long legs) so want to make sure its still comfortable.

I am looking forward to move up to the Fireblade. Have you added any accessories? What color is it?

Absolutely will watch my speed, I drive a Rabbit 2.5 stickshift and before you know it you go 80 mph. LOL :D

Bis bald (See you soon).

Klaus

Hi Uli,

I was stationed in Giessen, which you know is not far from Friedburg at all. Had some friends that were stationed in Friedburg as well. Lots of great roads in Germany. Wasn't in Germany when I started to ride so can't really comment on it, but a friend of mine that was stationed there with me returned to Germany a few years later. He says the roads in the Black Forest are amazing! Some of the best he's ever ridden. Anyhow, welcome to the forum!

Ozzy

Hi Uli,

Thank you for the feedback. I'm 6'2" (so another 3" - have long legs) so want to make sure its still comfortable.

I am looking forward to move up to the Fireblade. Have you added any accessories? What color is it?

Absolutely will watch my speed, I drive a Rabbit 2.5 stickshift and before you know it you go 80 mph. LOL :D

Bis bald (See you soon).

Klaus

Hi Klaus, my Fireblade is pretty much like it came out of the store, just got a chainoiler and heated grips, that's all. It's a tricolor.

check it out: B)

kopievonpferdvmla.jpg

I don't think you'll have problems with the pegs, just give it a try, at my Honda dealer I saw some guy with a Repsol, he was 1.90 meters or so (I had to look up when I talked to him) and his bike looked totally original.

See you

Uli

Hi Uli,

I was stationed in Giessen, which you know is not far from Friedburg at all. Had some friends that were stationed in Friedburg as well. Lots of great roads in Germany. Wasn't in Germany when I started to ride so can't really comment on it, but a friend of mine that was stationed there with me returned to Germany a few years later. He says the roads in the Black Forest are amazing! Some of the best he's ever ridden. Anyhow, welcome to the forum!

Ozzy

Hi Ozzy

thank you for the welcome.

Hey, sure I know Friedberg, your name doesn't happen to be "Elvis" :lol:

Used to live in the Frankfurt area, too bad you guys left there, find it kinda boring now without the Abrams complex and all the taverns and places like Plantation club, Franks place, Al's (aka "Cafe Schauinsland" up in Berkersheim, that was my favourite hangout in the 80's) ...

See you

Uli

Hi Uli,

Ozzy

Hi Ozzy

thank you for the welcome.

Hey, sure I know Friedberg, your name doesn't happen to be "Elvis" :lol:

Used to live in the Frankfurt area, too bad you guys left there, find it kinda boring now without the Abrams complex and all the taverns and places like Plantation club, Franks place, Al's (aka "Cafe Schauinsland" up in Berkersheim, that was my favourite hangout in the 80's) ...

See you

Uli

Hey Uli,

Lol! I had forgotten that Elvis had been stationed there back in the day. Yeah, too bad they closed everything in Frankfurt. That would have been nice! Still made it to Frankfurt quite often on the weekends. Always a good time! They have been closing more and more places in recent years. The depot in Giessen where I was at is closed now as well as the one in Friedburg. As well as the ones in Dexheim, Hanau, and I believe Wurburg, if I remember correctly. I loved it there. Was there two years, and had some of the best times of my life in your country!

Hi Uli,

Bis bald (See you soon).

Klaus

Hi Klaus, my Fireblade is pretty much like it came out of the store, just got a chainoiler and heated grips, that's all. It's a tricolor.

check it out: B)

kopievonpferdvmla.jpg

I don't think you'll have problems with the pegs, just give it a try, at my Honda dealer I saw some guy with a Repsol, he was 1.90 meters or so (I had to look up when I talked to him) and his bike looked totally original.

See you

Uli

Hi Uli,

Super! Thanks for the tips.

Sounds like I should have no problem.

Nice picture of your Fireblade - HRC - nice!!! Like the colored wheels. ;)

Have you been to the US with your bike? I know some folks from GB are bringing their bikes to attend California Superbike School this year. If you ever do, let me know.

How's the weather in Freiburg? Do you have any snow? What type of rides do you enjoy on the weekend? Where do you ride? Do you ride with a group of friends?

Cheers (Prost),:)

Klaus

Hi Jasonzilla,

How are you? Are you getting ready for CSS in the spring?

I can relate to your post to Uli, started out late myself, after many years of pause. Now I am catching up, enjoying each and every time I ride and look forward learning how to become a safer, more efficient, spirited rider. :ph34r:;)

What are you doing to get ready for CSS?

Cheers and ride safe.

Klaus

Hi Uli,

Have you been to the US with your bike? I know some folks from GB are bringing their bikes to attend California Superbike School this year. If you ever do, let me know.

How's the weather in Freiburg? Do you have any snow? What type of rides do you enjoy on the weekend? Where do you ride? Do you ride with a group of friends?

Klaus

Hi Klaus, no, never been to the US with my bike, they'd probably lock me up for good after 10 or so miles with my teutonic driving style :lol:

I would love to take one or two levels at Silverstone, but I think I' ll fly there and rent a bike, otherwise it's too much hassle with the transportation (you know, 800 or so km's on the Fireblade, ferry, I'll be dead when I get there )

Have a nice weekend, don't do anything I wouldn't do B)

Cheers

Uli

Hi Klaus, no, never been to the US with my bike, they'd probably lock me up for good after 10 or so miles with my teutonic driving style :lol:

I would love to take one or two levels at Silverstone, but I think I' ll fly there and rent a bike, otherwise it's too much hassle with the transportation (you know, 800 or so km's on the Fireblade, ferry, I'll be dead when I get there )

Try 1400km each way, Copenhagen - Silverstone - but then I did put the trackbike in my van and drove in that, all for two days of training B)

I did get to meet Keith, Dylan and a couple of other US gentlemen that I've forgotten (Cobie might have been one of them, though I'm not sure).

MvG,

Kai

Hi Jasonzilla,

I can relate to your post to Uli, started out late myself, after many years of pause. Now I am catching up, enjoying each and every time I ride and look forward learning how to become a safer, more efficient, spirited rider. :ph34r:;)

Cheers and ride safe.

Klaus

I'm psyched about it, Klaus. I've been re-reading some stuff and going for some light rides. I hurt my back severely two days before I had a hernia repair, so I wasn't able to move, almost literally, for 3 weeks. I'm just getting better and will do a trackday a couple of weeks before the school. I'm trying to lose all the weight I put on also. Gained 25 pounds in 3 weeks, believe it or not. Thanks for asking.

Hi Jasonzilla,

Cheers and ride safe.

Klaus

I'm psyched about it, Klaus. I've been re-reading some stuff and going for some light rides. I hurt my back severely two days before I had a hernia repair, so I wasn't able to move, almost literally, for 3 weeks. I'm just getting better and will do a trackday a couple of weeks before the school. I'm trying to lose all the weight I put on also. Gained 25 pounds in 3 weeks, believe it or not. Thanks for asking.

Hi Jasonzilla,

WOW! I'm sorry to hear about your back injury - and - hernia repair - you must be doing some heavy lifting. :o Joke aside, hope you are recovering and getting back in shape - carefully.

Glad to hear and see your post on this board.

Please keep me posted on your progress and of course - on your CSS attendance. I'm stoked about mine as well, April is getting closer - each day and week :) .

Hang in there. You can do it.

Be safe.

Klaus

Hi Uli,

Klaus

Have a nice weekend, don't do anything I wouldn't do B)

Cheers

Uli

Hi Uli,

:P Yeah. Probably right about the teutonic riding style. LOL.

Flying here and renting a bike at CSS sounds like the smart thing to do.

Yeah, your fireblade needs a vacation too. B)

I'm looking forward to attending CSS in April.

Funny, you say that line - That's one of my favorites. Ha ha ha.

Stay warm and ride safe.

Cheers,

Klaus

Stay warm and ride safe.

Cheers,

Klaus

:) yeah, you too

And Jason, sorry to hear what happend to you , best wishes from me too (kinda late I know, hadn't followed the thread for a while)

Uli

Stay warm and ride safe.

Cheers,

Klaus

And Jason, sorry to hear what happend to you , best wishes from me too (kinda late I know, hadn't followed the thread for a while)

Uli

Hi Uli,

Quick question:

As far as great motorcyle boots are concerned, which do your recommend/use?

I am looking at both Alpinestars Supertech R Boots

and Sidi boots (Vertigo or the ST).

Any thoughts/input/feedback on either?

Thank you in advance.

Ride Safe,

Klaus

Stay warm and ride safe.

Cheers,

Klaus

Uli

Hi Uli,

Quick question:

Thank you in advance.

Ride Safe,

Klaus

Hi Klaus,

:unsure: now this is going to end up embarrassing for me since I've been driving around with some noname-boots from a motorcycle discounter (louis.de) for 2 years now. :lol:

Honestly, I have no idea... sorry

Cheers

Uli

Stay warm and ride safe.

Cheers,

Klaus

Uli

Hi Uli,

Quick question:

Thank you in advance.

Ride Safe,

Klaus

Hi Klaus,

:unsure: now this is going to end up embarrassing for me since I've been driving around with some noname-boots from a motorcycle discounter (louis.de) for 2 years now. :lol:

Honestly, I have no idea... sorry

Cheers

Uli

Hi Uli,

No worries. Did not want to put you on the spot. rolleyes.gif

Do you do your own maintenance or do you take the bike to the dealer for that?

Are you running full synthetic oil?

Cheers,

Klaus

Hi Uli,

No worries. Did not want to put you on the spot. rolleyes.gif

Do you do your own maintenance or do you take the bike to the dealer for that?

Are you running full synthetic oil?

Cheers,

Klaus

Hi Klaus,

dealer. I have no idea what oil they put in there, think it's synthetic alright. I only do things like tightening the chain, checking oil etc., .I prefer driving :P

Do you do maintenance yourself?

Archived