School Gear Or Mine?

Hi there,

I'm trying to decide whether or not to bother packing my leathers and helmet on the plane when I come over for the camps in April.

I understand that gear rental is included in the camps, so that's not the issue, I'm wondering what people recommend when you have the choice of your own or the school's gear?

Has anyone ever had a problem with fit or, be honest, is it like climbing into a giant caesar salad as so many other people have sweated and . . . experienced fear . . . in the CSS gear?

Thanks!

Simon.

(and *cough* I'm not as prissy as I may sound)

Hi there,

I'm trying to decide whether or not to bother packing my leathers and helmet on the plane when I come over for the camps in April.

I understand that gear rental is included in the camps, so that's not the issue, I'm wondering what people recommend when you have the choice of your own or the school's gear?

Has anyone ever had a problem with fit or, be honest, is it like climbing into a giant caesar salad as so many other people have sweated and . . . experienced fear . . . in the CSS gear?

Thanks!

Simon.

(and *cough* I'm not as prissy as I may sound)

Hi Simon,

I asked the same question last year and the advice I got was that using your own gear reduces the possibility of distraction caused by unfamiliar gear. I ended using my equipment and I was glad I did. That said, some people might not have an issue, i.e. those who are easy to fit (I am not). If you fit well in off the shelf leathers it might not be a big issue. As for the "petri dish" issue, I'll have to let someone who has rented the school's equipment weigh in on that. ohmy.gif

Best,

Carey

also really interested in the answer to this question. Is the gear washed regularly??

Wow, I wrote a response, but don't see it...

Helmets, the liners are replaced now and again. Leathers, not so easy to get a good result washing them, and you don't want to dry them out (take all the oils out), so we have have used a disinfectant spray. One of the issues I understand with bacteria is to make sure the article has time to dry out, and we do pay attention to that.

CF

• 2 weeks later...

Unless you think it will be too expensive to travel with your own gear, I suggest you stick with yours vice the rentals. I did my first CSS camp using rental gear, and I did my second camp in my own gear. The rental gear worked fine, but it didn't fit me perfectly, and I had a few aches and pains from odd pressure points when the camp was done. My own gear fit so much better, especially the leathers, and it made me much more comfortable overall during my second camp. Also, I crashed during my second camp, and my gear protected me perfectly given the circumstances. I can't say I recommend this testing method, but I now have a whole new confidence my gear will protect me should I crash again.

• 2 weeks later...

I went to the school with a friend and wore my own gear. He however used the CSS gear. I wouldnt label him as prissy, but I would say he is picky about things. He had no complaints whatsoever.

I use school leathers - that's the UK school, btw. Why? Because I really don't want to be lumping a set of leathers on/off a plane. I find 'helmet+boots+gloves+ undersuit+ day clothes' is already enuf :) .

I find the school leathers (Alpinestars) fine. But I'm regular size; and, anyway, I'm pretty tolerant of things that don't fit quite 'Perfect'. But if you know you get distracted by unfamiliar things, take your own.

Just my 2 cents/pen'orth ... ;)

Craig

I'm within driving distance of the schools I attend, but think I would bite the bullet and wear their leathers if I needed to fly, save the helmet. The liners being replaced "now and again" just doesn't make me warm and fuzzy. Working in a downtown ER, you take the bacteria and infections one of two ways: you either freak out and become a germophobe, or just start ignoring it. I'm the latter. Except for the helmet.

I'm within driving distance of the schools I attend, but think I would bite the bullet and wear their leathers if I needed to fly, save the helmet. The liners being replaced "now and again" just doesn't make me warm and fuzzy. Working in a downtown ER, you take the bacteria and infections one of two ways: you either freak out and become a germophobe, or just start ignoring it. I'm the latter. Except for the helmet.

Oooh,

I reckon I can answer that, first though, are you going to be doing any other riding?

If not, you'd probably be better off using the Schools gear, saves the hassle and bulk of bringing your own.

More room and weight allowance to take souvenirs back to Scotland.

The highly organised trailers full of gear are a splendour to behold, they really do have good stuff,

Leathers,

IMGP0021.JPG

Boots,

IMGP0023.JPG

Helmets,

IMGP0022.JPG

and the skilled and dedicated staff take great pains to make sure its all well looked after,

IMGP0024.JPG

The food is really good , especially on the two day camps.

I fly over too, but as I go riding before and after the Schools, I bring my own gear.

So, yeah, use their gear, its good!

Cobie, you know you can wash leathers in a washing machine?

I do it with mine, never a problem.

Really, you can, turn them inside out (take the armour out first but) put the machine on gentle cycle, COLD WATER ONLY and use woolwash.

You can get special "leather therapy" type stuff, but woolwash is O.K.

Dry them in the shade , laid flat on an airing rack, good as new.

In between I use Lemon Pledge, that tip was given to me by the people at Vansons.

Carpet Shampoo works really well too.

• 2 weeks later...

Another question for the gear is.....what do I need to bring to make it more comfortable to wear under the leathers? I have a synth Joe Rocket (alter ego pants and phenoix jacket) that I wear and just wear shorts and a T shirt under it. What should I look for to bring with me that I can wear under the school leathers? Would just a pair of shorts and a T shirt work or should I look into getting something else. I am looking into getting a set of leathers so anything I purchase would be used in the future.

Another question for the gear is.....what do I need to bring to make it more comfortable to wear under the leathers? I have a synth Joe Rocket (alter ego pants and phenoix jacket) that I wear and just wear shorts and a T shirt under it. What should I look for to bring with me that I can wear under the school leathers? Would just a pair of shorts and a T shirt work or should I look into getting something else. I am looking into getting a set of leathers so anything I purchase would be used in the future.

Bart,

I have been using a PsycleSkin undersuit:

http://stores.sportb...ail.bok?no=8415

It's made of a moisture wicking fabric like Underarmor and it helps keep you cooler in hot weather and warmer in cold weather. Plus it makes the leathers eaiser to peel off.

Best,

Carey

Hey Klavdy,

I didn't know you could put them in the machine, I'll have to try that.

Ours get dried out and tons of use, like nothing else!

CF

I have always been advised by friends in the rag trade NOT to wash the leathers, as they will dry out. But having white leathers, they got so dirty that I didn't have a choice, so I laid them out flat and washed them with a sponge and some soapy water. I let them dry well, but when I tried them on the next track day I could barely fit into them; not only were they tight, they were very stiff - and very, very dry.

I then wiped them with a leather moisturiser/conditioner, and they're as good as new. So if I can give any advice, if you have to wash them, make sure that you moisturise them afterwards.

(another friend who works with leather gear tells me that ANY moisturiser that goes on your skin can be used).

I have always been advised by friends in the rag trade NOT to wash the leathers, as they will dry out. But having white leathers, they got so dirty that I didn't have a choice, so I laid them out flat and washed them with a sponge and some soapy water. I let them dry well, but when I tried them on the next track day I could barely fit into them; not only were they tight, they were very stiff - and very, very dry.

I then wiped them with a leather moisturiser/conditioner, and they're as good as new. So if I can give any advice, if you have to wash them, make sure that you moisturise them afterwards.

(another friend who works with leather gear tells me that ANY moisturiser that goes on your skin can be used).

Over the years I've tried everything from olive oil to Lexol, to neatsfoot oil. Recenlty, we've been getting so much sweat in coach leathers (non-stop 8 hrs a day, hot temps), they are getting use like nothing else, even racer's see.

Washing has been needed, tons of moisturizing, but nothing has been perfect so far. That was the 2nd time I'd heard about Woolite, and coming out nicely, so I'm going to that a go.

CF

This is the stuff I used, it's a "blend of Carnauba Wax, natural oils, and cleaners" ; I recall reading on the bottle that it can also be used as a cleaner (although that doesn't deal with the sweat etc on the inside):

balm.jpg

It's what was in my wardrobe, some clever shoe salesman probably convinced me to buy it when I bought a pair of shoes :D

I have a gear question... I'm planning on wear all of my own gear at the 2-day camp later this month. I'm pretty sure that my suit, boots and helmet are up to snuff, but I'm concerned about my gloves. They're only a couple months old, but they are in pretty good condition(broke in nicely). They are Alpinestars SP-2. Are these good enough? I do want to get some new gloves with a little more protection, but I'm afraid I've waited to long to get them and break them in by 24 March, I'm also not to keen on using the school gloves, but if I have to.

Thanks

-Brian

I have a gear question... I'm planning on wear all of my own gear at the 2-day camp later this month. I'm pretty sure that my suit, boots and helmet are up to snuff, but I'm concerned about my gloves. They're only a couple months old, but they are in pretty good condition(broke in nicely). They are Alpinestars SP-2. Are these good enough? I do want to get some new gloves with a little more protection, but I'm afraid I've waited to long to get them and break them in by 24 March, I'm also not to keen on using the school gloves, but if I have to.

Thanks

-Brian

I can't imagine a reason your own gloves wouldn't be just fine. I used school gloves for my 2-day camp -- nothing wrong with them, unless you have a sharing phobia -- and also I used a brand new pair of my own gloves during my 1-day course. All were just fine...

Archived