Greetings From Oz

Hi one and all, my name is James and I'm from Sydney Australia.

Been trying to put together the right combination of bike, gear, time and money to attend a CSS class since mid 2009 - finally I'm a few days away from doing Level 1 and 2 at Eastern Creek this Thu & Fri (Feb 10 & 11). I had my mechanic gve the bike the 'once over' while he was doing some warranty work last week and while he did state he thought it was all good for a day or two at CSS, I am a bit concerned about the tread depth of the front tire. I'm running Pirreli Super Corsa front and rear and the front tire has little more than 2mm tread on the side of the front from new and I've already put 6000 well rounded k's on this set , so now I have 1 day to decide if I should swap it out or not.... what to do :unsure:

When in doubt change them out. You do not want to go to the school and find out there, that you do not have enough tread to ride or spend too much thought about traction of your tires when you should be learning all the great info while there. Have a great time!:D

Glad you are finally going :).

I don't know what Steve and his lads have available--I'd give them a call right away, see if they have tires (maybe at a good/great price) and if they can install at the track.

We have that option here, we just like to know in advance so we can be all set at the track.

If Jason sees this, he should be able to let us know.

CF

The Aus school does do tyres and a bunch of other stuff, through Madaz, and they can sort it out on the day (they carry some stock) but when I did it I called ahead to make sure they would have the tyres I wanted ready to go. Took them no more than 20mins to do (they took the rims off the bike as well, so no work to do) and I was ready for the first session with new Tyres. Reasonably priced too.

In the past they used to have a deal that if you did a school day, they gave you a voucher for next time you do a school day and purchase a set of tyres and get a free ride day. Not sure if they are still doing this though.

Madaz contact details on their website www.madaz.com.au

The Aus school does do tyres and a bunch of other stuff, through Madaz, and they can sort it out on the day (they carry some stock) but when I did it I called ahead to make sure they would have the tyres I wanted ready to go. Took them no more than 20mins to do (they took the rims off the bike as well, so no work to do) and I was ready for the first session with new Tyres. Reasonably priced too.

In the past they used to have a deal that if you did a school day, they gave you a voucher for next time you do a school day and purchase a set of tyres and get a free ride day. Not sure if they are still doing this though.

Madaz contact details on their website www.madaz.com.au

Just check your tyres are on the right way and the bead is complete seen this happen to a couple of people with tyres there

Bugger, glad mine were OK as I walked straight out of the class room, jumped on and went out doing the first level 2 drill!!! :o

Lesson learned!!! I always check now anyway as I have to take the rims off and take it down to the shop for them to fit!

McDuc you'll have a huge selection on Monday morning, but I love the line "When in doubt, swap them out"! Mainly because I've seen the damage to person and property that can happen with tyres that are worn.

It's a good thing to check not just the tread depth but also the shape of the tyre, i.e. stand above the rear tyre and look straight down, do you see its retained a nice symmetrical shape or do you see a band of wear? e.g. the centre is worn, or a certain angle of the tyre worn... Why is that important? If you have bands of wear then you'll have varying (reduced) sized contact patches as you roll to and past that band of wear... not good for traction even on tyres that have plenty of tread depth.

Consider trailering the bike, you can then take the old tyres home with you and you can use them for later road rides to finish them off later.

See you there tomorrow,

Jason (JB)

Thanks for the welcome and good advice all!

I agree, 'When in doubt change them out' is good advice.. so much so I replaced the front tyre this afternoon, keeping the old one for another day and while I had/have no complaints with it for general use its always a great feeling to get out and about with new tyres and I can feel the difference....

Gday James, I wasn't your coach but I got to see you riding around on track with that goldish McDuc numberplate of yours, well done on your riding!!! How do you feel your riding has changed?

Archived