Switching Tires

Hi everyone,

I just changed the tires on my bike for the first time. I went from the stock tire which was a 180/55 on the rear to a 190/50. I realize that it is a wider tire, but not sure if or how much this will affect the ride. So my question is, how will this affect my cornering? Will it have a big impact on how I'm able to corner? I know this may be common knowledge, but like I said, this is my first tire swap so I have nothing to base this on. Thanks!

Ozzy

Hey mate,

But now a question, why the change in sizing? Was it recommended by someone?

When I make changes like these I try not to gather to many preconceptions about what effects the change will have on the bike because then I go looking to see those changes and I have found that it can alter my thinking and then mask what is really happening. Recently I changed from a 160 rear to a 180 on my race bike and I ended up making a few squidly errors in set up due to preconceived effects and ended up back at square one.

My thinking for you would be jump on, try and feel for the different effects and take note of what they are (even write it down). Just when you get on know that it will feel different and it will take a bit of time to feel out the changes so don't go mad trying to ride it as hard as you were - track or road.

Let us know how you go with changes and what effects you feel.

Ash

PS: Sorry if this sounds like I am shooting your question down, its not meant to, I just feel dealing in hypotheticals can be more harmful than good sometimes and riding is always the best solution, for me anyway. :)

Hi everyone,

I just changed the tires on my bike for the first time. I went from the stock tire which was a 180/55 on the rear to a 190/50. I realize that it is a wider tire, but not sure if or how much this will affect the ride. So my question is, how will this affect my cornering? Will it have a big impact on how I'm able to corner? I know this may be common knowledge, but like I said, this is my first tire swap so I have nothing to base this on. Thanks!

Ozzy

Ozzy,

What bike?

What type of tire was the 180/55?

What type of tire is the 190/50?

Its very important to know this information. Every style of tire is different, so it is vital to know all tire styles and bike info to make a recommendation.

Hello again,

Wish I could say that I made an educated decision, but in all actuality it was more of a case that I needed some tires and got a great deal on these. The guy at the place I bought them told me about them so I decided to go with them since I have a good raport with them. Didn't realize the difference in size til after I had them mounted and back on the bike. By then it was kinda too late. I have yet to take them out due to the weather ( snowing here in the Pacific Northwest), so I don't know yet what difference I may feel.

The bike I put them on is a 2008 GSX-R 600. The previous tires were the OEM Bridgestone BT016(180/55 rear tire and 120/70 front). I replaced them with Pirelli Rosso Corsa (190/50 rear and 120/70 front).

Again, wish I would have payed more attention with what siz I had before. Now I'm afraid that I will be stuck with a size of tire that I'm not happy with and will pay for it in the long run if I dislike them so much that I have to again replace them :( . Thanks everyone for your help!

Ozzy

So here's an update. I downloaded a Pirelli fitment chart online and come to find out that a 190/50 rear sized tire is not recommended for my make/model bike. I can't believe that I made such a bad mistake! :angry: The good thing is that the place I bought them from will exchange it for the correct sized 180/55 rear tire. Only thing I have to do is take the wheel off the bike and take it to them. Oh well, lesson learned. I will be more careful in the future about making sure I do my homework.

Hello again,

Wish I could say that I made an educated decision, but in all actuality it was more of a case that I needed some tires and got a great deal on these. The guy at the place I bought them told me about them so I decided to go with them since I have a good raport with them. Didn't realize the difference in size til after I had them mounted and back on the bike. By then it was kinda too late. I have yet to take them out due to the weather ( snowing here in the Pacific Northwest), so I don't know yet what difference I may feel.

The bike I put them on is a 2008 GSX-R 600. The previous tires were the OEM Bridgestone BT016(180/55 rear tire and 120/70 front). I replaced them with Pirelli Rosso Corsa (190/50 rear and 120/70 front).

Again, wish I would have payed more attention with what siz I had before. Now I'm afraid that I will be stuck with a size of tire that I'm not happy with and will pay for it in the long run if I dislike them so much that I have to again replace them :( . Thanks everyone for your help!

Ozzy

So here's an update. I downloaded a Pirelli fitment chart online and come to find out that a 190/50 rear sized tire is not recommended for my make/model bike. I can't believe that I made such a bad mistake! :angry: The good thing is that the place I bought them from will exchange it for the correct sized 180/55 rear tire. Only thing I have to do is take the wheel off the bike and take it to them. Oh well, lesson learned. I will be more careful in the future about making sure I do my homework.

Ozzy,

You did do something right, and that was you pick a dealership that fixed the issue. This is valuable. A service provider that will take care of you when they goof is a good dealer. Everyone makes mistakes, its how you fix them that can separate them from the other vendors.

As a general rule the 190/50 size is a street oriented size. Used for larger street bikes (1000cc) to give a bigger center contact patch for straight line stability and traction. Again, this is a general rule and I am sure there are exceptions from manufacturer to manufacturer.

Just because you had 180/55 in one manufacturers tire does not mean that another manufacturer will make and recommend the same size for your bike. For example Dunlop recommends a 190/55 D211GPA for 600cc bikes (in fact they set track records with that tire).

Go here for more information: http://forums.superb...indpost&p=20730

Consider getting a Q2 for the GSXR600 of yours. It will handle great and stick better than anything out there on the street. :)

Consider getting a Q2 for the GSXR600 of yours. It will handle great and stick better than anything out there on the street. :)

Even better than the Sportsmarts? :)

Ozzy,

You did do something right, and that was you pick a dealership that fixed the issue. This is valuable. A service provider that will take care of you when they goof is a good dealer. Everyone makes mistakes, its how you fix them that can separate them from the other vendors.

As a general rule the 190/50 size is a street oriented size. Used for larger street bikes (1000cc) to give a bigger center contact patch for straight line stability and traction. Again, this is a general rule and I am sure there are exceptions from manufacturer to manufacturer.

Just because you had 180/55 in one manufacturers tire does not mean that another manufacturer will make and recommend the same size for your bike. For example Dunlop recommends a 190/55 D211GPA for 600cc bikes (in fact they set track records with that tire).

Go here for more information: http://forums.superb...indpost&p=20730

I have an RC51 which I may use for both street riding and track days. Would a D211GPA be a poor choice compared to the Q2? I was planning to replace my current tires with Q2's, but I'm thinking it might be worthwhile to get some real premium rubber on the bike. Would the D211GPA wear out significantly faster than the Q2?

Also, what size would you recommend, in either the Q2 or the D211GPA? The RC51 OEM was a 190/50 rear, but I've read most everyone goes to a 190/55 rear for track use. Given you recommend a 190/55 D211GPA as replacement for a 180/55 for 600's, would that suggest I need to go to an even larger rear for the RC51?

Thanks!

I have an RC51 which I may use for both street riding and track days. Would a D211GPA be a poor choice compared to the Q2? I was planning to replace my current tires with Q2's, but I'm thinking it might be worthwhile to get some real premium rubber on the bike. Would the D211GPA wear out significantly faster than the Q2?

Also, what size would you recommend, in either the Q2 or the D211GPA? The RC51 OEM was a 190/50 rear, but I've read most everyone goes to a 190/55 rear for track use. Given you recommend a 190/55 D211GPA as replacement for a 180/55 for 600's, would that suggest I need to go to an even larger rear for the RC51?

Thanks!

Since the RC51 has a 6.0 x 17 rear rim, Use the 190/55x17 Q2 or the 190/55x17 D211GP-A.

No tests (that I know of) have been done for tire life on the street with those 2 tires, and riding style has a lot to do with that (the rider may be hard accelerating off every light, every time, leading to very increased tire wear). The D211GP-A has a harder more durable strip down the center, I would expect it to be similar or within 10% of the Q2 in durability on the street.

One other factor to consider is how often are you able to warm fhe GPA up on the street, and if that is worth the trade off. Is it cool/cold where you are? If so, that is another factor to consider in this. Will the GPA even warm up?

CF

Since the RC51 has a 6.0 x 17 rear rim, Use the 190/55x17 Q2 or the 190/55x17 D211GP-A.

No tests (that I know of) have been done for tire life on the street with those 2 tires, and riding style has a lot to do with that (the rider may be hard accelerating off every light, every time, leading to very increased tire wear). The D211GP-A has a harder more durable strip down the center, I would expect it to be similar or within 10% of the Q2 in durability on the street.

One question about tire pressure for the 211's if used on the street- I know for track days with warmers it would be like 33/23, but for going out on the street for a ride, no warmers, what pressure should be set?

One question about tire pressure for the 211's if used on the street- I know for track days with warmers it would be like 33/23, but for going out on the street for a ride, no warmers, what pressure should be set?

Front 33, Rear 32 for the street. Set them like you would a street tire.

Archived