Track Fitness

Hi all, I'm Julian, a CSS coach from downunder.

I'm new to this forum, so my apologies if this has been discussed before.

I'm wondering what you all do to make sure that you will last the distance during a track day? And what about fitness generally?

Track days can be very taxing on the body and mind; they are physically demanding, and being out under the hot sun in a cow suit will dehydrate you very quickly. The high level of concentration that such an unfamiliar activity demands can also wear you out; combine the two (physical and mental), and it's easy to understand why we sometimes feel exhausted by the end of the day.

This is my own method, it's what I do to make sure I cope with the day:

- Build up fluid intake at least a day before. I will make a point to drink a lot of water the day before a trackday. During the trackday, I will drink 1/2 to 1 litre of fluid between sessions, more if it's very hot. Half of that is water, the other half is a mix of powerade/gatorade and water (50/50).

- Eat a hearty dinner the evening before. A good balanced meal.

- Eat a decent breakfast, usually cereal like muesly that will release energy slower than something like bacon/eggs/toast.

- During the day I will keep nibbling away all day rather than eat a large lunch (although I admit to not always sticking to this). This advice came from an ex-500cc world champion, and it works very well.

- If it's a hot day, stay out of the sun and conserve your energy as much as possible.

The other thing that is a 'must' - IMO - is to stretch well before and after.

Re fitness, well, whilst I am realtively fit and healthy, exercise has never been my strong point, and it's something that I need to work on.

What do you do?

Hi all, I'm Julian, a CSS coach from downunder.

I'm new to this forum, so my apologies if this has been discussed before.

I'm wondering what you all do to make sure that you will last the distance during a track day? And what about fitness generally?...

Hi Julian,

Welcome to the forum! It's always nice to have another coach here adding to the knowledge base.

As for track preparedness/fitness, I do much the same as you before a track day, hydration and proper nutrition in the days leading up to the event are critical. You can't expect to maintain during the day if you started out behind on either.

As for regular fitness, I "rediscovered" sport riding a few years ago and used it as a motivator to get back to the gym. I also started seeing a personal trainer so I would be able to get the most out of my time there. I do a mix of aerobic work on the treadmill and the elliptical as well as core work and traditional weight training.

It's been over a year I've seen a significant improvement in both my everyday fitness and improved stamina and even control of my bike. Nothing motivates like fun. :D

Best,

Carey

Julian,

There are some threads on this, you might have a look around and see, but you (and all) are certainly welcome to add anything on that point.

CF

Resistance training and combination of cardio and weights, the best one ride your bike more and condition the muscles being used, get the deadly treadly out and ride or like (cant remember who) Fossil or Pete? said the 'Thighmaster':lol:

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Julian,

I believe you were my on track coach for me last year in october. I use a few different things for fitness training. I try and do some form of exercise for 40-50 minutes 6 days a week. this will vary from going to the gym (i.e. classes like Spin on exercise bikes and weights are good. weights to build strength and endurance not size), other days I play a sport (in my case field hockey) which helps with aerobic fitness and hand eye co-ordination (an under rated aspect) and running other days.

On the day my plan is similar to yours, the first thing i grab between sessions is a sports drink and i have power bars throughout the day with a light lunch.

But i cant stress enough the importance of having a cold beer at your local at the end of the day: if you have come away shiny side up you deserve it; if you haven't, you probably need it!

hope this helps.

Archived