Rearsets

Hi everyone,

i just had a crash recently and my stock rearsets were completly wrecked on both sides so i figured out that it's a good time to buy some aftermarket ones but i can't decide which one:/

I'm thinking about sato's or gilles , vortex also seems to be good choice but they are not available here in uk.

I'm looking for something solid that won't fall apart after a crash and also have a wide range of adjustability( hope i'm not asking for too much:] )

Any advice would be highly appreciared:)

Oh no, They made in Italy and I'm sure you can get them on ebay or something like that.

Or look for a local supplier in your country.

Well worth it mate!

Hi Y4C4,

Have a set of Gilles VCR on my ZX6r.

Very well made and ever so simple to adjust. 1 alen key bolt adjusts the height and pitch, then you just have to readjust the gear lever.

Only gripe is heal plate a little small and i am scratching the swing arm on the left hand side.

But they feel realy solid, and give loads of grip when on the move.

Andy

@AryM

I've checked on ebay alredy , but only US sellers got them but i will keep on looking because i like them alot:)

@Easty

Gilles were my first choice but i read some mixed comments about them so i decided to ask here:)

Some people complain that they brake easily during a crash and heal plates get loosed.

btw I've got a Zx6r too:)

@AryM

I've checked on ebay alredy , but only US sellers got them but i will keep on looking because i like them alot:)

@Easty

Gilles were my first choice but i read some mixed comments about them so i decided to ask here:)

Some people complain that they brake easily during a crash and heal plates get loosed.

Y4C4,

I'm not planning on crash testing them to prove a point :rolleyes:, so I don't know if they can withstand a misshap.

and I've had no issue with heal plates coming loose. but then again I do tend to over tighten most things slightly.

Easty

Hi Y4C4,

I recently went with a set of Satos and have been very happy with the quality. I bought them for the adjustment and was pleasantly surprised with how much smoother they shift. I've also heard good things about Giles but apparently they aren't making rearsets for my bike.

Good luck and report back on what you go with and how you like them.

Best,

Carey

@boredcol

WOW , great price but they dont have them for my bike:/

@warregi

The only thing holding me back from getting Satos is the price , i think they're the most expensive ones but probably worth it as i haven't heard a single bad word about them.

@warregi

The only thing holding me back from getting Satos is the price , i think they're the most expensive ones but probably worth it as i haven't heard a single bad word about them.

They weren't cheap but they were the only ones we could get for my K1200R - one of the issues I have to deal with since my bike is not as popular as some. I cant speak to the Sato's quality as they compare to the Giles (which have a great reputation) but I do like them better than the Vortex rearsets I've seen.

Good luck finding a set you like, of course half the fun is the hunt.

@AryM

@Easty

[\quote]

I bought the very cleverly designed and cool looking Gilles rearsets for my ZX6R. BUT, I had one very low speed minor lowside, and the rearset snapped right off near the mount. It failed so easily (even my sliders were not damaged, it was a very minor crash) that I thought it was a manufacturing flaw and asked Gilles to warranty the part. No dice, they said that part was "designed to be the failure point" to break first to protect other parts of the rearset. It broke so easily that the peg was not even scratched - I would rather had had a ground down, usable peg than a completely broken off rearset!

I also did not like the heel guards, they were slippery and I couldn't get a grip on them.

I pulled off the Gilles and went back to Satos, love them, superior quality and great adjustability.

• 2 months later...

Hey Y4C4 - I don't think you mentioned what type of bike you have? If it's an older model you may just luck out and be able to find something like a runout deal, that's what I did on my Gilles. They're the older style rearsets, I don't think you can get them anymore but if you happen across a set of old stock for cheap, they are great! I must have spent at least 20 minutes just looking at the parts before I even started installing them. Haha laugh.gif They feel great, but I haven't really crash tested them. The bike had a slow drop but I'm not sure the peg even touched down. I haven't had any problems with parts coming off them (aside from losing one of the little plastic end caps that sit on the end of the peg, but I think that just popped out because of the way I move my foot around alot. I used some mild-strength locktite and torqued everything to spec because rearsets are one part I really don't want coming loose.

From what I hear it seems like people who buy the Vortex rearsets like them for the very agressive grip pattern. I've sat on a bike with Vortex rearsets and I'll vouch for the grippiness! Sato rearsets seem to be fairly similar grip parttern etc. to the Gilles I have.

Archived