2012, Where We Are, What We're Doing

I know that Dylan sends up some tweets to the site, that's one place to check, but figured we'd get this older thread idea some use.

Just finished a 6 week tour, complete with a new track (NOLA). Overall, went very well. Dodged some real weather. The best story there was in NJMP, students showing up, astonished we weren't soaked to the bone, as they had just finshed driving through 2 hours of rain. Dry at the track (OK, we got maybe 25 drops for the literal of you).

NOLA was interesting...fast and grippy! The coach tires got a real work out, amazingly so. Nice facility, long track in perfect condition, it was a little warm to be true, but students seemed to enjoy it quite a bit (as did we).

More to come...or, if you were there, feel free to chime in.

Best,

Cobie

NOLA was interesting...fast and grippy! The coach tires got a real work out, amazingly so. Nice facility, long track in perfect condition, it was a little warm to be true, but students seemed to enjoy it quite a bit (as did we).

NOLA was totally awesome :) I have a nice picture of you following me into turn 3. Actually it is almost embarrasing, because I look like I'm working, and you look bored :P

Monday was hot, humid, and I felt it at the end of the day - heck, I felt it by lunch time. Tuesday was just a bit less hot and much less humid and for me it was a really great day to ride. I can't wait to go back :)

Did the two day with you guys at VIR. Enjoyed it immensely. Need some remedial training - so going to meet up with you guys on some of the west coast tracks next month.

VIR was a first time for me - that roller coaster was pure fun and a great experience. Still couldn't quite get to throttling up on the last turn into the straight when it felt like the bike was bottoming out as you were barreling down that hill and around that last turn.

I was one of the many that drove down through central NJ in POURING rain to NJMP, only to find a dry track :blink: . The weather actually turned out great because it was cloudy & somewhat cool.

It did rain overnight & Tuesday morning the track was a little wet, but it dried out by the 2nd session of the day.

I'll be down again for the July 30th & 31st sessions B) .

I don't really have a favorite track, but that one is getting to the top of my list...what a load of fun to ride there!

I don't have experience on many other tracks (the only other two being Pocono in PA & Monticello in NY), but Thunderbolt really seems to have a lot of great qualities. It is appropriate for all skill ranges, forgiving, challenging, and requires the full arsenal of CSS skills B) .

If I can swing it next year, I'd like to try CSS at a different track. Any recommendations?

If I can swing it next year, I'd like to try CSS at a different track. Any recommendations?

I suggest these:

1) VIR

2) NOLA

3) Barber

Thanks Brad! VIR should be doable for sure B) .

• 2 months later...

Where have Cobie and the guys gone lately? I feel like I haven't heard from them in a month or so.

Has the San Andreas fault finally given in at sent them into the Pacific?

Kai (too oldschool for twitter and FB. Besides, they're blocked here in CN).

Where have Cobie and the guys gone lately? I

Kai;

They are enroute to New Jersey Motorsports Park on the east coast of the US for Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday; the end of the eastern schools for 2012. My guess is they're on the road.

Rain

The trucks are already there as of Friday as I saw them when I was just doing a regular track day. Wish I was able to stay any of these days for the school but kids start school on tuesday.

• 2 weeks later...

I need a tutorial on how to use the forum on an iPhone, can't edit, and can barely read this frigin small font!! Where's Hotfoot, I'll ask her.

I'm here. I am replying from my iPhone. Cobie... have you tried "readers"? :)

Actually I think the iPhone access is pretty decent - if you have good eyes - but editing a long post is tough.

The very best thing about the mobile app is that you can view new content - which shows only posts you haven't already read. Love that.

I did find one thing, Cobie, that could have happened to your reply. When you are done typing, you hit "Done" on your keyboard to make it go away, then you ALSO have to hit the "Add reply" button below the edit box to actually get it to post up.

Sounds to me like Hotfoot needs to follow Cobie around the forums for a few posts, little professional coaching should have him sorted out in no time tongue.gif

The darn font was tiny, and only showed the current post, no earlier posts appeared...I'll talk to Hottie this weekend.

Sounds to me like Hotfoot needs to follow Cobie around the forums for a few posts, little professional coaching should have him sorted out in no time tongue.gif

Coaching humor! I like that. I can guess how that debrief would go..."How did 'The quick brown fox' drill feel? What areas on keyboard do you feel went well?"

The darn font was tiny, and only showed the current post, no earlier posts appeared...I'll talk to Hottie this weekend.

Cobie - The fonts will only get smaller....

Coaching humor! I like that. I can guess how that debrief would go..."How did 'The quick brown fox' drill feel? What areas on keyboard do you feel went well?"

Repeat after me: "One the quote box is turned on, its used evenly and smoothly throughout the remainder of the thread"

Ha ha... :) How about this:

Do you ever feel a bit rushed when you are trying to reply to a forum post? If you were to give yourself a bit more TIME to get it posted, so you weren't having to hurry through the control actions, would that make it easier for you to find the right buttons?

;)

Just back from 4 excellent days at the Streets of Willow Springs. 2 single days and a 2-day camp. The camp is extra enjoyable as we can run that track in either direction, and did so. The weather, though a bit warm, was very dry, no wind to speak of, and crysttal clear blue skies...pretty nice overall really.

It's been a while since I've had another profession, and I was just reviewing one of the things that makes this one rewarding...no, not just the riding :). The riders.

We get a pretty interesting cross section of riders, really a pretty bright and lively bunch. I didn't make any effort to ask background, so this is just from casual conversation:

Multi time student from Michigan I think, partner in his own business, pretty fast, lots of fun good sense of humor. Another multi time student, just started hanging off, enjoying that next step in his riding. A stuntwoman. A Scandanavian, making this part of his trip from Europe. A local from Orange County. A trauma surgeon that had been riding only 2 months! An ex-motorcrosser, coming to terms with asphalt riding (and did very well). And these are just some of the characters I personally had some interaction with.

The riding is fun, but working with and watching the change in the riders...that's the real payoff.

So, thank you, all of you, for coming!

Best,

Cobie

Great post Cobie. That's one of the thing I love about motorcycles as well. The attraction crosses all socioeconomic boundries. You can meet all types on a motorcycle (and on a mortorycle forum come to think of it :P ). One of my favorite parts of a CSS trip is the night before. I like to stay at the track when CSS is at VIR so it is fairly easy to meet people who are there for the next day of riding. Last May we ended up with six of us eating together and a more diverse group you could not imagine. We had such a great time I was worried they were going to ask us to leave. I haven't laughed that hard in years. I've made some good friends at the track, friends I would never have met otherwise. And that is priceless.

A little something in common can bridge a chasm of differences.

Charles de Gaulle once said "How do you govern a country with 246 varieties of cheese?" but I have to ask, who would want to live in a country with only one?

Ride safe,

Carey

• 3 weeks later...

I think that was about the best CODERACE we have ever had. A number came from different parts of the country/world, and it might be the first school entirely of Level 4 students. The racing was excellent, weather perfect.

Not sure if anyone else will post regarding this, but I did part of a seminar...and didn't say word!

It was good to have Kai and some of the other characters there...they are now becoming part of the CSS history.

Joe doing a 16.2 on the 1000...he comes by you pretty fast, just when you think your corner speed is high.... But, Will did film him for a few turns.

Loads of fun, good gains on the riding, tight racing in the race, no bad dramas...great way to spend a weekend!

CF