Changes In Your Riding Style

Hotfoot

How have the newer bikes with better technology, lighter weight, and more power changed your riding style? If you moved up to an S1000RR, for example, has the greater horsepower changed the way you ride? Did the high power output turn you into a point-n-shoot rider, or does it actually feel lighter and handle better than your prior bike, so you corner faster? Do you use the traction modes and ABS, and if so, has THAT technology changed anything about the way you ride, or how you think about approaching a turn?

Let's hear what you've noticed has changed about your riding when you got a newer, or just different, motorcycle!

Interesting topic B) .

I started out on an '03 CBR954RR. It had lots of power (WAY more than I was capable of using at the track), but I was initially comfortable on it. As I started to get faster, I felt like I was fighting with the bike (wheelies, head shake, and I never found a comfortable body position). I always thought it was me and my bad form.

Then I did a 2 day camp and spent 2 days on the BMW S1000RR. What a difference. I felt much more comfortable on the bike and the handling was so much better. It was great to be able to recognize the difference and what felt right for me.

I sold the 954 and picked up my current bike, an '08 CBR600RR. Fast, light, narrow, handles like it's on rails, and once I installed a set of rear sets, body position felt good.

I don't know if my riding style changed, but a bike that is 5 years newer, lighter, LESS powerful, and better suited to my riding position has absolutely helped me become a much faster rider all around. The quick shifter is a boatload of fun, too :D .

How have the newer bikes with better technology, lighter weight, and more power changed your riding style? If you moved up to an S1000RR, for example, has the greater horsepower changed the way you ride? Did the high power output turn you into a point-n-shoot rider, or does it actually feel lighter and handle better than your prior bike, so you corner faster? Do you use the traction modes and ABS, and if so, has THAT technology changed anything about the way you ride, or how you think about approaching a turn?

Let's hear what you've noticed has changed about your riding when you got a newer, or just different, motorcycle!

Interesting post!

I did the opposite and my bikes are getting older! I raced an 06 Triumph Daytona 675 for 2 years and then switched to an '89 Honda VFR400R for the past 1.5 years. Power-wise, it has gone from about ~100bhp to ~60bhp and weight from about 175kg to 160kg.

Few things I noticed initially:- Lower top speed meant that I could brake later into a turn, despite the brake/suspension technology being that much older. Also interestingly, my mid-corner speed is up in almost every single corner (datalogged) at my regular track. I think this is me altering my lines to hold onto to as much speed as possible through the corner-> exit as I just don't have the same power. However, my best laptime on the 400 is still about 4 secs slower than the 675, which is mainly down to the 3 straights on that circuit and that is purely down to power. On the logged graph where the Honda top speed plateau's, the Triumph keeps on accelerating.

I have to say though that I am enjoying riding the smaller bike much more. I'm more competitive and feel like I am riding the bike closer to it's limit than the 675.

I noticed on my first trackday on my K2 GSXR 1000 that it felt heavier and less willing to turn-in than my old S1000RR. Subsequent to this I had the front forks rebuilt and the rear shock replaced as it has done nearly 20,000 miles and probably hasn't had the suspension refreshed in that time. I did another trackday after having it fitted and it felt a lot more compliant, but I still had to work on being a lot more forceful at my quick-turns, this really helped and by the end of the first session I was feeling a lot more comfortable on the bike. This carried on throughout the second session and my cornering speeds and confidence in the bike were all building, until I strayed over a slippery patch, the rear spun up and I lowsided, ending my day.

Should have the bike back tomorrow and I'll be back out on track when I can, but in summary I'll say that the older bike is a lot more physical to ride and I've got to be a lot more pronounced with my inputs, braking and turning are the two places where it simply can't match 10 years of progress.

I think the improvements in my riding abilities that I've been able to make over the last few years (thanks to the school, of cousre!) far outweigh the bike change. I would love to jump back on my '03 954 now and see if I still struggle as much with body position, quick turns, throttle control, etc.

I noticed on my first trackday on my K2 GSXR 1000 that it felt heavier and less willing to turn-in than my old S1000RR.

Seems a bit strange to from an old S1000RR to a K2 Gixxer :huh:

I agree with that! I'm still trying to process the phrase "old S1000RR"! :)

I noticed on my first trackday on my K2 GSXR 1000 that it felt heavier and less willing to turn-in than my old S1000RR.

Seems a bit strange to from an old S1000RR to a K2 Gixxer :huh:

You know what I meant though surely, my old bike was the S1000RR, my new bike is the K2. Returned the BMW so I could free up the money for a house deposit.

I think the improvements in my riding abilities that I've been able to make over the last few years (thanks to the school, of cousre!) far outweigh the bike change. I would love to jump back on my '03 954 now and see if I still struggle as much with body position, quick turns, throttle control, etc.

I'm with this I think!

I used to ride a Harley V-rod along with some sport bikes. After going to the school - actually had to sell the Vrod as practicing quick turns on say highway on-ramps got quite dangerous. I found myself regularly scraping the exhaust and pegs for turns I didn't even think the turn angle was that "aggressive". So, rather than have an "event" where the exhaust would contribute to braking traction on the rear, I sold the bike and now just ride sport bikes (although safely) on the road.

May be because I don't ride to my limits in the street, but different motorcycles and HPs' have not made me notice any changes in my riding.

Brake performance has been the most difficult thing to learn and get used to from each bike.

Personally, I fail to fully take advantage of the current radials. I do not get the sensation I need to understand what's going on down there where rubber meets road. I find it much easier to ride old bikes on narrow bias ply tyres hard than more modern stuff. I know it's me and not the bikes, but for road riding the old bikes and tyres have enough performance, anyway. And the old bikes looks better and are simpler to work on as well, so I'm happy riding relics :lol:

I am a bit both ways... new technology has helped to improve my riding. But old technology has also helped to improve my riding!

After I put the Bazzaz system on my Gixxer I started to rely on the traction control as a bit of a "mental crutch". Not that I was really pushing it enough to constantly engage the TC (doing so with this type of TC is actually a slower way to ride), I was wondering if it was really turned on at all because I still had plenty of small rear wheel slides and even then occasional rear wheel stepping out of line. But I still rode with the thought of the TC safety net in the back of my mind. Combined with learning quite a bit more about cornering at CSS I have made much more progress on this 1000 than I did on my 600! Also I know the TC is actually working because a few weeks ago I took off from a set of lights and heard the exhaust popping and spluttering. Strange sensation, sounded awesome. biggrin.gif Now I also find myself on the streets at low 1st gear speeds (20-40km/h) being able to crack on the throttle just the right amount to feel the rear tyre really dig in and grip up. Not sure how much of that is down to the TC or just plain old throttle control & feel, but I've never been able to do that before. I actually had to check myself on that because it seemed like I was starting to get a bit "racey" for street riding... huh.gif

On the other side of things, I've also improved since I have been riding my old beaten-up XR400 motard. Nothing fancy there, air cooled and relatively low power - but sticky tyres... It's been much less intimidating to push the limits on the motard, and I feel like I've been able to use it to develop my feel for grip and learn more about earlier throttle opening in corners. I think that anything to help a rider understand tyre grip etc. is cumulative, so whether the latest superbike or an underpowered dirt bike, it can all add up to have quite a benefit.