What About After You Ride?

Hotfoot

We've had a few discussions here on the forum about what you do to physically prepare for a trackday or racing - what sort of exercises and fitness routine, and even what to eat that day - but what do you do AFTER a day of riding or racing?

Do you have a routine for the evening after a hard day of riding, or the next day? Do you eat or drink anything in particular (I suspect a cold beer might be a popular choice! :) ), or take any sort of recovery vitamins or electrolytes? Is there anything you do to prevent sore muscles?

We've had a few discussions here on the forum about what you do to physically prepare for a trackday or racing - what sort of exercises and fitness routine, and even what to eat that day - but what do you do AFTER a day of riding or racing?

Do you have a routine for the evening after a hard day of riding, or the next day? Do you eat or drink anything in particular (I suspect a cold beer might be a popular choice! :) ), or take any sort of recovery vitamins or electrolytes? Is there anything you do to prevent sore muscles?

If it was a hot ride (Utah rider here), then I try to get fluids and electrolytes (Gatorade or a Nuun tablet) in me ASAP. Failing to be diligent about that leaves me feeling pretty wiped out for a while. Priority #2 is some stretching. If I rode so much that my legs/hips feel wobbly or shot, I'll make sure to get some good quality carbs (a nice beer counts as part of this, of course) and protein. I usually end up eating that way soon after any duration motorcycle ride anyways - I only carve canyons and I never stop for lunch, etc. while I'm out riding.

I'm in my mid-30s, so I need to stretch after a few hours of serious riding, otherwise I'll tighten up and have stiff muscles the next day.

After a full day of track riding, I am ready to eat like a horse - pretty much anything in sight. That and a few beers (providing I'm not riding the next day) really hits the spot. The following day, I don't do any type of workout at all - I just take it easy and recover. Then I just jump right back into to my normal workout routine (weights, cardio, etc).

Maybe I'll take an advil that night for leg soreness if I'm feeling anything, but I generally consume about 150 grams of protein each day and that seems to keep my muscles happy.

Do you have a routine for the evening after a hard day of riding, or the next day?

Nope, no routine of "after-riding". I don't know if it's because I'm getting lazy on the bike or just better at being relaxed (maybe a combo), but I have no problems going riding 2-3 trackdays in a row without getting sore.

Well if you want to reduce or remove sore muscles, you can do what the top athletes do and do an ice bath. It's about 10 minutes in ice cold water right after the physical exercise. In motorcycles, probably full body immersion to cover the shoulders and arms as well. . . Not the most pleasant experience I must say (only once) as its very very cold and almost to the point of unbearable if you have never done it.

However, its perhaps the single most innovative way to get muscles back to top level performance that they have "refined" over the last 5 years or so (before they only localized ice for certain muscle groups). It reduces swelling afterward and really does seem to reduce inflammation and muscle soreness but boy does it come at a comfort price :-).

Hey Cobie - not the most comfortable as I've only done the legs ever and it wasn't the most comfortable that I coud take. . . It's used by many pro athletes and even college athletes in football, etc.

Anyhow, here is a wiki on ice therapy

Wiki on Ice Therapy recovery

interesting read, even the studies of it helping depression and sleep.

I'm surprised not to see more feedback on this topic. No one has any special lotions, potions, or secrets to prevent sore muscles or refuel after hard exercise, or exertion on really hot days? No special supplements or vitamins, jacuzzi soaks, or Advil?

I sometimes use a hot bath or Jacuzzi soak to prevent sore muscles. That seems to work well, when I have the time/opportunity to do it. However, my biggest challenge is getting properly rehydrated after really hot days at dry-climate tracks; it seems like I stay thirsty (and cotton-mouthed) for a couple of days, no matter how much I drink (water or Gatorade). I've started taking some potassium at the end of the day, to see if that helps - so far it seems like it does.

For my horses I feed an electrolyte supplement that can be given before and after exercise, it's a powder. Anyone done anything similar for yourself, with good results?

This doesn't just have to be about riding, whether you climb mountains or run marathons or work in construction, if you have ideas that work, I'd like to hear them!

However, my biggest challenge is getting properly rehydrated after really hot days at dry-climate tracks; it seems like I stay thirsty (and cotton-mouthed) for a couple of days, no matter how much I drink (water or Gatorade). I've started taking some potassium at the end of the day, to see if that helps - so far it seems like it does.

For my horses I feed an electrolyte supplement that can be given before and after exercise, it's a powder. Anyone done anything similar for yourself, with good results?

I'm curious Hotfoot, when do you Start hydrating for hot days in dry climates ?? are you drinking lots of water and gatorade two days prior to prepare for it or do you wait till the morning of to do it ?

When I was in the Marines some guys raved about the effectiveness of Pedialyte for recovering after especially grueling P.T. sessions, tho if you can get it a few bags of Lactated Ringers works wonders too

I can honestly say that I just don't have this problem. So long as I drink water and gatorade all day while at the track, I finish feeling pretty much the same as when I started, except for being tired in the legs (thighs). It's much cooler here than in California, but some of our track days will be in the low 30s (celcius) and humid. I actually tend not to sweat that much anyway. I usually even keep my leathers on at lunch because I am perfectly comfortable in them!

I am used to the sore muscles the next day from weight training anyway - it is sort of a normal condition for me, so I guess I just tough it out. Maybe take an Advil if it is really bad, but it generally isn't. I don't stretch before or after riding - it is just not really exercise in that way. My brother on the other hand, he pops Advil all day at the track as a prevetative measure.

I have a sketchy back, and once or twice going to the track when it wasn't 100%, I wondered how it would affect me. One time this July I had spent a whole weekend single-handing a small sailboat (designed for two people!) in high winds. It was a blast but my back was truly toast and I was worried about the track day on Thursday. My back actually got *better* during the track day - some how it was therapeutic!

• 4 weeks later...

It seems like most folks have some kind of regular exercise routine, I'm sure that helps a lot.

I don't do anything special after a track day. Depending on how often I ride, sometimes I'll do a track day and then afterwards discover that I'm not quite as "bike fit" anymore... but I just look at that the same as the day after a hard or new weights session.

I haven't really had much opportunity to test this out myself - but I think some kind of active recovery could be beneficial. I have always found that if I have muscle soreness in my legs, it improves the next day if I have been walking around a bit or doing some other light activity to increase blood flow. If I just sit around not doing much, the muscle soreness remains longer. Next time I wake up with some soreness I think I'll go for a light ride on the bicycle.

Usually I'll drink anywhere from 3-4 litres of water a day, so on a track day that goes up. I drink Powerade/Gatorade/etc. on a track day, but never considered drinking it after the track day... maybe I'll mix up an extra batch next time and try that out.

Now I'm wondering what the MotoGP/WSBK/racers do after a race weekend? Could probably take some lessons from them, but they truly are top level athletes, if a regular person had to do what they do, I'm sure they'd be recovering for weeks!