Which Type Of Motor Revs You Up?

Hotfoot

I like anything aircooled (at least if it is sporting...I am not talking cruisers here). GSXR1100 / GS1150 / Bandit 1200. Buells. R1200S. And of course, 2-V Ducatis. Not sure why really - something about the rawness and simplicity of an aircooled design. Plus, cooling fins look awesome.

The Guzzi MGS-01 was probably my favourite design ever, followed by the NCR Millona, and then the Bimota DB5. Of course I never got the chance to ride any of those...

I like 90-degree twins especially. It is pretty funny how my 90-hp bike can gap a modern 600 coming out of a tight corner....of course they eventually leave me for dead, but I do get that brief moment of glory.

Love singles for their simplicity and when they are in their sweet spot, but I prefer twins for most riding due to their wider powerbands and ability to chug a little without beating themselves to death. Fours are of course amazingly flexible, but usually without "soul" for lack of a proper word. They are more hectic. More efficient, better in any and every real world performance test, but they do not communicate with my like a low-stressed twin. Sixes can be fun with the right exhaust, but they are also quite stressful to ride, always egging me on to twist the throttle. If I were to enter a track day, however, I'd go for an inline 4 for their predictability and forgiveness (leave in one gear and ride it like an automatic while concentrating on my lines etc.).

I love the triple personally......great power all the way through the rev range, probably the closest thing you can get to a liter bike that's still in the 600 class category as far as how the power is delivered. My next two race bikes are going to be a 08 CBR1000RR and a 09 Daytona 675.

My first bike was a thumber - a 600cc single cylinder bike. I still have a nostalgic longing for the power character - driving around 1200-2000 rpm all the time. Combined with a soft and shot suspension, it taught me the value of throttle control.

I've tried V-twins a couple of times (SV650 and Duc ST2) and they have always left me decidedly underwhelmed, compared to my own IL4's. Basically a feeling of "no power anywhere" - sorry for stepping on the toes of the twin-lovers. I know you prefer it over IL4,and I have no problem with that - it's a matter of preference.

I like the predictable and strong power delivery of the IL4. Call me simple :)

Fourstroke inline fours because of good throttle control. My Blade is pretty much the perfect bike for me, maybe you have to ride it a little harder to get the same sensation as with other bikes but that's fine with me, I get my kicks from high lean angles and smooth roll-ons.

My first bike was a thumber - a 600cc single cylinder bike. I still have a nostalgic longing for the power character - driving around 1200-2000 rpm all the time.

That's why so many XT600s hammered 5th gear into oblivion :( You need to keep them above 3000 rpm at least, preferably over 3500 rpm in order for the crank to turn smoothly enough as not to hammer the drivetrain. Just rev the snot out of them like Hotfoot does :lol:

(Twins are generally also sensitive to low rpm. The harder you get on the throttle at low rpm, the higher the peak loads. Here's what can happen to BMW oilheads when ridden at too low rpm

)

Had only ridden I4, I2, V2, single (air cooled)

I4 is smooth but... souless (2012 FZ6R)

I2 .. i kinda like the train like pull at low speeds and torque character (2012 NC700 series (non DCT variants) )

V2 ... FZR , woah, the soundtrack is really to die for

Daily commuter is a single , pretty good powerband at legal street limits.

would really love to ride a triple to come to a conclusion (F3 agusta / brutale/ triumph street triple 675 R)

I really like the grunt of the Duc's and the sound, even the Harley riders at work wish their bikes would make the pictures in the office rattle B) . But my heart is still with the 2 strokes. When in the power they just have a sound of purpose!

An I4, well, hmm, maybe I just haven't experienced the right one yet. I will say that the MV saddle is the most comfortable that I have sat in yet, just haven't rode one. :( That goes for the F3 also.

Now for a really odd one. Suzuki RE5 with a custom made header. It sounds like a WW1 Biplane while on the throttle, and ring a dings down like a 2 stroke when off throttle. :D ( I really wish my friend would get that bike back on the road. If for no other reason, just the fact that there is no mirror vibration whatsoever!!!!! Smoothest bike I have ever road.

I was told by FBF that the fueling issues were straightened out. But that was not Eraldo, and was towards the end of last year. If it is not, then one would hope they get it straight soon. Looks like it could be a sweet ride.

@ Eirik. Thanks for the link on the BMW clutch issues. i sent that link on to a few friends that ride newer BMW's.