Conering - Foot Position Inside Foot Hurting

w0ngster

Hi guys,

I recently traded up and went from a cbr600rr to a cbr1000rr. The problem I encountered was that after a brief canyon cruise to feel the bike out, I noticed that my inside foot is KILLING me. I have aftermarket rear sets and lowered them to stock height and nothing has changed. It feels like all my weight is on the inside peg. To be exact, my foot where the peg sits. My outside leg is locked into the bike/tank however, the outside foot feels like it isnt locked into anything? (kind of get it?) I can't move my leg but my my foot and calf feels weightless no matter how i push or angle it into the bike.

I dont know if you guys can relate. I've taken a few 1 on 1 lessons and know my BP is ok and just requires more tweaking but i've never encountered my foot fatiguing and quad in something so casual as a canyon cruise. I was never fatiged with my 600. Also have not taken this new bike on the track yet.

Thanks!

While I have not had this exact problem I did suffer from knee issues on my inside leg until I took level 3. While I thought I was in good position I was too far off of the seat so my pivot point wasnt solid and I had too much weight on my inside leg. It would seem to me that if your outside foot is not planted then you don't have an effective pivot point. Weighting the outside foot allows you to drive your knee into the tank and use the strength in your quads to help support your weight.

For me, this was something that really didn't sink in by reading it. Having the coaches work with me on the static bike really helped. Hopefully one of the coaches can chime in and give us their thoughts.

I went from a 954RR to a 600RR and found the 600RR to be a much better fit for me. It may be that the 1000RR is putting your body in a position that is not ideal. Because of the different riding position, you may be moving your butt way too far off the seat when cornering. If that's the case, you might be really crossed up, which will make it difficult to lock on with your outside leg. THAT will cause you to put more weight on the inside foot.

About 2,000Miles on the 1000rr

Rode today... I noticed that turns that require more lean, it feels as if i'm floating above the bike when i'm entering/middle of the turn. No real lock on the bike. I tried sitting in different parts of the seat still no cigar... Friends of mine who vary from 5'8 to 5'11 say the bike feels fine for them. Me persaonlly, i'm 6'1ft

Does this happen for both right & left turns? So matter what, it's the inside foot of whatever turn you are taking?

You mention twice no real lock on the bike...this will be fundamental. Also (as mentioned above by several), having the lower body too far off, and the forward/rearward position of your butt/hips will be critical.

For many, 1/2 inch wrong on the seat with the lower body can be the difference. Normally too far forward and too far back, but some go too far back too.

Will we have you at a school this year, or are you close enough you can swing by and I can have a look at you on the bike?

Best,

Cobie

Cobie,

I'm out of Pasadena. I have had some questions about superbikeschool for some time... I think my problems on the bike are more so on the mental side. (you know after crashing -_-) I'm not new to track riding but just have lost a lot of confidence....

Cobie you are very close to me and would love to take you up on that offer :)

Just a bit of encouragement to go see the CSS... I'm 6'5" and ride a honda literbike (954RR). Prior to visiting the CSS I would leave the first session of a trackday with BURNING legs and a wonder of how I was going to make it through the next 7 sessions. After visiting the school for Lvl 1 & 2 (as I understand it Lvl 3 is focused on body position) just the few hints as to my body position made a night and day difference in my endurance and comfort at my next trackday.

I have found that myself and a few of my friends focus on 'getting off' the bike too much and not enough on the orientation of your body with relation to the bike. For example, prior to my CSS experience I was getting 3/4 of my butt off to the inside and found I had to support myself almost completely with my inside leg, which in turn burned my leg up in about 8 laps. After addressing how I get off the bike at CSS I am able to slide 1/2 or less of my butt off the seat and find myself in a far better, less tiresome, and more comfortable position in the corners. As a result I can rip up 8 sessions of 8-10 laps and still ride 40 miles home and go for a walk with the dog. Previous to CSS that would be some sort of super-human miracle.

The key for me was to "point my d!ck" into the corner. By turning my hips into the corner I can get my knee and upper body out as far or further than before and keep that VITAL lock on the bike with my outside leg. It also helps me look further into the corner for my mid-corner point and exit points as I don't have to crank my head/neck as much to see those points. It was a game changer for me. Try it and see how it goes.

td

• 1 year later...

Rearsets can help in a couple of ways - if you get adjustables you can play with the position until you find a spot that is comfortable for you, and I have definitely had good success with that personally.

They can also help you by allowing you to change the shape of the footpeg. Some footpegs are more aggressive than others, to give better grip, etc., but some of the shapes can end up putting an unusual amount of pressure in one spot on your foot. Some have a rounded end, making it easier to rotate your foot for an aggressive knee positions, and some of them also have little knobs or corners that can be uncomfortable if ONE little spot is taking most of the weight, and it can wear out your boots quicker, too.