Pivot Steering

lebedo

Hi guys,

I hope you're all doing good. My name is Olivier, and I'm a riding instructor in France. I never took a CSS class, as we don't have a French CSS. But I read the books, watched the videos and been lurking on the forum. This one is the best I've ever seen on motorcycle riding. I trully believe that the techniques described by Keith can be used on the road. I had a flash yesterday. Correct me if I'm wrong, but PS is not rotating around your knee: it's all about pushing your body forward, isn't it?

Thanks and have a good day.

• Like 1

"Push" might be not the exact words I would use.  Part of the technique is to use more of the torso, but it also requires bracing with the outside leg (into the tank) so you are also gaining the advantage of the leverage going across the body (as opposed to pushing on the inside leg and arm at the same time).

Make sense?

• 2 weeks later...

@Cobie Fair IIRC when I did L3 and we did Pivot Steering, I tried it at a 2 turn section that can be run as a double apex turn using PS in the second portion. As I recall, we didn't add a second steering input but instead changed the body position to alter the steering geometry.

34 minutes ago, Jaybird180 said:

@Cobie Fair IIRC when I did L3 and we did Pivot Steering, I tried it at a 2 turn section that can be run as a double apex turn using PS in the second portion. As I recall, we didn't add a second steering input but instead changed the body position to alter the steering geometry.

This sounds like the hook turn more than pivot steering to me.

On 11/6/2020 at 1:04 PM, lebedo said:

Yes it does! Sorry for the wrong word. Press would be bxetter, wouldn't it?

Thanks

Hi Olivier,

Bienvenue!

With regards to Pivot Steering/Power Steering; in Twist II video, the analogy of a fencer using their rear foot as a solid foundation describes the technique well.  As Cobie said, it is more about "bracing" the lower body and engaging the core - not to push the body forwards, but to prevent it being pushed backwards when we add steering input.

Hope that helps a little and maybe see you at school in the future!