The Aye's have it

The Aye's have it  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Many discussions here and elsewhere about your vision and visual skills, little about the body part that makes it all possible. What are you doing for your riding eyes?

• My vision is perfect
    • My vision is better than 20/20
    • I wear eyeglasses (when riding)
    • I wear contact lenses
    • I had laser eye surgery
    • I use a homeopathic method of vision correction
    • Something else not listed
  2. 2. When was the last time you got an eye exam?

• I get an exam annually
    • I get an exam occasionally
    • I don't remember the last time I had an exam
    • I have no concerns that makes me get an exam
    • Something else not listed

Interested to see these results.  

As impressed as I am with modern medicine, the eyes are something that can't be transplanted so I tend to look after them.  Other precautions I take are to avoid riding with the visor up in anything more than 1st gear to avoid grit/dust blowing in (I just crack it open if I'm hot/fogged up).  Also use power tools in my job so always pop a set of safety specs on and use sunglasses on bright days to avoid sun damage ( I gave myself snow blindness once, which is actually sunburn of the eyes by not using eye protection to cut down the UV glare from the sun and the reflection from the snow - not pleasant)

Eye exams are recommended every two years (in UK) but I am overdue one at the moment because of, yep, you guessed it, covid.

Very light smoke tint on Rx glasses and darkest tint face shield for the blistering sun of Texas. I also put eyedrops pre-ride and post-ride, to lubricate and you would be surprise at the soothing effects. 

Eyes tend to get dry when I ride, especially when spirited, because you barely blink and the Texas dry hot air.

Watch the eye video of Professional riders on track at CSS. The eyes are wide open and you don't see them blink. It explains it for me.

I now wear glasses for distance. It’s a strange thing after a lifetime of excellent visual acuity. I sometimes notice some artifacts with depth perception in my periphery when driving. For example, a car or other passed object in the next lane seems closer than it is, distracting my eyes to look there. For this reason, I’m considering contact lenses so I can ride without the distraction. Last ride, I didn’t notice the problem as much, today I’m going to be keen on that observation.

Thanks to Red Baron, I’m also going to observe my ocular moisture post ride.

Red Baron, envious of your tinted visor - RainX is a good friend here!  

Thanks Jaybird.  Regarding contact lenses, I use glasses when driving at night however, legally, I don't need glasses to drive but find that it sharpens my vision (I also opted for lenses that cut down on light glare from oncoming traffic).  I did try a batch of disposable contact lenses ( a month's supply)  for riding but as I don't ride at night didn't keep using them after that initial trial period.  They were soft lenses, don't remember them being uncomfortable and another possible good use for eye drops.

I don’t street ride often but I did yesterday. I don’t like the way the stem of my glasses fit inside my helmet but once I snick into 1st gear it all goes away. No vision anomalies either.

I usually get an eye exam annually, and the dr always tells me my eyes are dry. I finally listened and started using artifical tears drops. Haven't had a chance to see the effect when riding just yet but my vision seems sharper when i use them so we shall see in about three weeks when I get back home and take the bike out got a spin. 

• 2 months later...

I’m now on Day 2 of trying out contact lenses and I’m on a schedule that will hopefully allow me to ride at my upcoming 2-day camp without thought about my eyes.

Any advice on if I should go with the contacts or glasses? My sole reason for contacts is to be able to ride comfortably.

I have never worn contacts but my first thought it this- if is is really dry out, desert dry, or windy or dusty, glasses might be better, so that your eyes don't get irritated from the dust or dryness, and if it is humid, contacts may be better so you don't have to deal with glasses that might fog up.

Which track are you coming to?