No Classified Forum?

Thanks! I just went to grab the title from my safe and realized I can't find it. My registration shows no lienholder so technically I could just fill out a transfer of title form and the buyer would get the title in the mail but I feel like it might turn off a prospective buyer so I've requested a duplicate and will wait until it arrives before I try to sell it. :( 

Anyway, I'll try out those boards when I get all the paperwork squared away.

I sold my track bike recently and for the foreseeable future, my track days will be on CSS bikes.

It will probably be cheaper overall. :) To anyone who hasn’t done much track riding that might seem unlikely but to those of us who have purchased and track-prepped a bike, paid track day fees, bought warmers and a generator and a trailer or toy hauler and numerous canopies (they break a lot) and tires and race fairings and paint and gas and laptimers... it doesn’t sound surprising at all!  :)

I've done 7 CSS days and 20 regular track days. For the vast majority of my time, I was slow enough that tires were not that expensive. Near the end of 2019, I was getting about 4 or 5 sessions per rear tire. So by then, it would definitely be more cost effective for me to pay the extra money and use a school bike for my CSS days. Plus, easier to get to the event (no trailer speed limit, no loading/unloading) and then saving tires and fuel. Not to mention the damage liability on my bike is 100% and on your bikes it's something like $2k. That's a lot of value for the extra $200.

The only thing I lost by selling my bike is the ability to do regular track days - something which I had grown to love. I did 7 btwn June and Nov in 2019.

Then Covid.

The thing is while I never got WERA fast or CSS instructor fast, I did manage to do 27 track days and wear out a lot of knee pucks without ever crashing. Not on the street or the track. I took my time and worked on technique and only added speed as I got better but always stayed within myself. Then I took over 12 months off and it felt like I'd be starting from scratch. I started thinking about the track fees, hotel costs, the trailer, tires, etc all while either being slower than I should be. I thought about how much money it would cost to get back to my Nov 2019 form.

One day I may change my mind and might want to recommit. But if I go back to the track at all, my next 5 or so trips will be with CSS to make sure I'm getting back up to speed under their watchful eyes and making sure I'm doing it right. But for the next year or 2 at least, I'll just riding to work and back. I kept my commuter bike.

That is a thoughtful and well-stated analysis!

Very well done on the no-crash record, in all those days. The philosophy of working on technique first and adding speed later is very smart. 

I bet you would be back up to speed faster than you think, if you start with a couple of CSS days. Personally I feel a LOT less pressure to "go fast" at a CSS school day than I do at an open track day, which makes it a lot easier to make improvements and get up to speed using good technique, with fewer distractions and errors, resulting in more gains and lasting improvements.

• Like 1

Thanks.

Same. I was in the slow end of the A group (not the slowest but definitely behind all the racers) but I rarely get passed in CSS classes. It's a lot less intimidating when the action is coming at you from one direction (even better if that direction happens to be in front of you). And there's no wild racers cutting people up in class - just better manners all around.

On 5/26/2021 at 9:13 AM, BikeSpeedman said:

Thanks.

Same. I was in the slow end of the A group (not the slowest but definitely behind all the racers) but I rarely get passed in CSS classes. It's a lot less intimidating when the action is coming at you from one direction (even better if that direction happens to be in front of you). And there's no wild racers cutting people up in class - just better manners all around.

A bit off topic but on the "wild racers cutting up people" -- I've said on more than one occasion that Trevor runs a tight ship in terms of course control and if there were orgs that followed his standards I'd go to them far more readily than some of the guys who think they need to ride at 110% to make sure they pass everyone even if it means they end up lowsiding or otherwise getting themselves and others in trouble every other track day.

there are clubs that for at least C if not B and C (can't quite remember) REQUIRE outside passing only. So you end up with people thinking that's safer and then they "grow up" to be A group riders who literally go onto the dirt to outside pass someone who's  rightfully on the edge of the track.

I'm not sure if expert coaches and racers agree with me but I think outside passes are awful. We don't have mirrors and it's very alarming to be surprised by someone right before you begin your turn. I'm expecting to be able to put my wheels on the outside edge without fear of someone competing for that real estate. And as soon as I get there, my eyes are looking inside. If you pull up beside me in the braking zone, I'll see you and won't turn into you. Your line will be shorter (than if you went outside) and assuming you are faster than me, you'll zoom past me with much less drama than if you had to ride a wide arc around the outside. You'll get to the apex first and I'll be able to use the full track on exit as well.

Add to that, if your exit is a little too wide, they can run into you or you into them.

Recently at Las Vegas, I got shitless scared on my nemesis corner #5. I usually run wide, and I got passed on the outside by a very fast rider. If I had ran a little wider than the usual, we both would've been on the ground for sure.

No names, but he had issues with every bike he rode that day (6-7). He was a very nice guy, very very fast, but too risky on track.

@BikeSpeedman I've had very good success with Facebook sales. Sold my beloved F4i in about 2 days and thinking I should have raised the price because the guy didn't try to talk me down and nearly forced me to take a $1,000 cash deposit🤣. PLUS there are plenty of TD orgs on there. A few years ago, I posted that I was looking and it only took a couple days for me to get a recommendation for the trailer that I eventually purchased.