What Pro Rider?

stuman

I've been aiming for the smoother riding style.

Riders like :-

- Troy Corser

- Colin Edwards (especially in his Superbike days)

It may not always get the top results, but there is nothing better for me than when I've put in several fast smooth seamless laps. :)

What about you Stuman? Which pro rider(s) do you emulate?

Cheers

Shinya Nakano - In my mind his body positioning gives that "textbook" feel.

Colin Edwards - Anytime they ride, the one sticking his head out the farthest has to be Edwards.

Jorge Lorenzo - Also gives that impression of squared away riding, as most of the 125 and 250 graduates do.

If I had my choice, I'd go for a Pedrosa kind of style. He's consistent and promotes the bike to work better. The position that I've come up with isn't similar to anyones style though. I just want to get myself in the best position to hold the bike up, and allow the bike to perform as well as it can.

Nicky Hayden, for amazing control at the edge of traction.

If I had my choice, I'd go for a Pedrosa kind of style. He's consistent and promotes the bike to work better. The position that I've come up with isn't similar to anyones style though. I just want to get myself in the best position to hold the bike up, and allow the bike to perform as well as it can.

I'm interested in knowing more about what makes a Pedrosa fan. I don't see the consistency that you speak about. He seems to come unraveled when pushed and is prone to making many entry speed mistakes when battling for the lead. Maybe if I'd seen him in his 250 or 125 days...

Noriyuki Haga. He demonstrates an amazing amount of bike control and maneuverability. Give him the smallest gap and he'll stick the wheel, bike, footpeg or whatever in there.

Toseland's like that too. But James will beauregard his way in. Both styles are useful used appropriately.

every top level racers have fans, its all part of racing, wheather it be nationality, maybe your impressed with their style or maybe you met them and found them to be a genuinely nice guy, I dont think there is a model for what makes a pedrossa fan, Just fans choosing who they want to support! When I was at the catalunia moto gp earlier this year it was the first time I'd ever seen Rossi fans almost outnumbered about 50/50 pedrossa and Rossi fans, usually its a sea of yellow Rossi fans everywhere, and me with my 69 hat on. then that was pedrossa's home race.

I'm interested in knowing more about what makes a Pedrosa fan. I don't see the consistency that you speak about. He seems to come unraveled when pushed and is prone to making many entry speed mistakes when battling for the lead. Maybe if I'd seen him in his 250 or 125 days...

You're probably referencing something like the Sachsenring (?) ride last year when he ate it in the rain. Pedrosa takes chances probably more-so than most. You'll find that there are many more riders like him, most of whom I like. Haga is probably my favorite rider (this is his year by the way), and he's a risk taker, Toseland, Biaggi, ROSSI.

I like all those riders. Pedrosa can drop the hammer and take off on anyone when he hits his comfort zone. Of course, like in Sachsenring, you can't quite do that safely in the rain. But in most races Pedrosa turns fast laptimes repeatedly. He's a winner, and he's going to be in MotoGP for a long time. You don't place where he does without being consistent. And good.

You also may have him confused with Stoner. He showed last year that he is unable to handle pressure. LOTS of errors on Stoners part.

I was speaking of his BP though, when I referenced him, and noone leans the bike as far as he does. He flips the bike and drops into corners very well. He uses the entire track, and can change lines to get past people. I guess it's his size that allows him to do some of these things.

You're probably referencing something like the Sachsenring (?) ride last year when he ate it in the rain. Pedrosa takes chances probably more-so than most. You'll find that there are many more riders like him, most of whom I like. Haga is probably my favorite rider (this is his year by the way), and he's a risk taker, Toseland, Biaggi, ROSSI.

I like all those riders. Pedrosa can drop the hammer and take off on anyone when he hits his comfort zone. Of course, like in Sachsenring, you can't quite do that safely in the rain. But in most races Pedrosa turns fast laptimes repeatedly. He's a winner, and he's going to be in MotoGP for a long time. You don't place where he does without being consistent. And good.

You also may have him confused with Stoner. He showed last year that he is unable to handle pressure. LOTS of errors on Stoners part.

I was speaking of his BP though, when I referenced him, and noone leans the bike as far as he does. He flips the bike and drops into corners very well. He uses the entire track, and can change lines to get past people. I guess it's his size that allows him to do some of these things.

Entire Track??!?!?! Are you kidding? Go back and look at Stoner and Nicky riding one behind the other. Dani almost always doesn't need the same amount of room to corner because of his weight advantage, yet he enters at the same speed. He could enter faster IMO.

Stoner, well one could cite Laguna or any other race when he was against Rossi. Rossi has the ability to get inside a competitors head like you wouldn't believe. Biaggi, Gibernau, Stoner... Didn't get a chance to see if he could push Nicky like that. And I don't think he could mentally push someone like Bayliss, Corser, Vermeulen, or Toseland. But he could give Sofouglu fits....that would be hilarious.

every top level racers have fans, its all part of racing, wheather it be nationality, maybe your impressed with their style or maybe you met them and found them to be a genuinely nice guy, I dont think there is a model for what makes a pedrossa fan, Just fans choosing who they want to support! When I was at the catalunia moto gp earlier this year it was the first time I'd ever seen Rossi fans almost outnumbered about 50/50 pedrossa and Rossi fans, usually its a sea of yellow Rossi fans everywhere, and me with my 69 hat on. then that was pedrossa's home race.

True, we're all entitled to like who we want. I'm just at a loss on Pedrosa. I don't see what he does better than anyone else. He has size advantage, but that's being diminished with the 800 development. The 990 was wearing him out (LOL).

I say get Melandri on equal equipment with Pedrosa and let's have a race!

True, we're all entitled to like who we want. I'm just at a loss on Pedrosa. I don't see what he does better than anyone else. He has size advantage, but that's being diminished with the 800 development. The 990 was wearing him out (LOL).

I say get Melandri on equal equipment with Pedrosa and let's have a race!

I tend to agree with you considering his weight atvantage and the fact Honda have pretty much custom built the bike around him he should be better, though he was leading the championship when he crashed out at Germany. next year should be interesting since he will be alongside dovitsioso in the factory team, with his performance on a customer bike this year he will be worth watching next year.

I'm not kidding about Pedrosa using the entire track. In a close race he's holding defensive lines, but he will use every piece of track available when trying to keep pace with Rossi.

And I honestly don't think that Melandri and Pedrosa would be anywhere close to a tight race.

I'm not kidding about Pedrosa using the entire track. In a close race he's holding defensive lines, but he will use every piece of track available when trying to keep pace with Rossi.

But who wins?

And I honestly don't think that Melandri and Pedrosa would be anywhere close to a tight race.

Who's can withstand adversity better? Melandri hasn't been given the equipment that Pedrosa has. Pedrosa has had the fortune (probably well earned) of having the right people (HRC) behind him. This is what makes racing a team effort.

But who wins?

Who's can withstand adversity better? Melandri hasn't been given the equipment that Pedrosa has. Pedrosa has had the fortune (probably well earned) of having the right people (HRC) behind him. This is what makes racing a team effort.

The question wasn't who would win between Pedrosa and Rossi, or Melandri and Pedrosa, but who's style we'd like to emulate. I think Pedrosa has very good form, and can (it's been proven) ride with and beat the top riders in the world. But if you want to talk about who wins, Melandri is going to be a non-factor.

And with the equipment, they're not going to focus all their effort on supporting a rider if they don't believe he is or can be great. It's not logical or financially sound. Even if Melandri hasn't had the opportunities Pedrosa has. Poor guy was stuck on the Ducati for 2008. We all know that wasn't a good bike. Might as well have been on a Kawasaki.

But who wins?

The question wasn't who would win between Pedrosa and Rossi, or Melandri and Pedrosa, but who's style we'd like to emulate. I think Pedrosa has very good form, and can (it's been proven) ride with and beat the top riders in the world. But if you want to talk about who wins, Melandri is going to be a non-factor.

And with the equipment, they're not going to focus all their effort on supporting a rider if they don't believe he is or can be great. It's not logical or financially sound. Even if Melandri hasn't had the opportunities Pedrosa has. Poor guy was stuck on the Ducati for 2008. We all know that wasn't a good bike. Might as well have been on a Kawasaki.

As you say hub the question is not who wins races but who you emulate when riding, I said Nicky Hayden but in reality I dont ride the way he does, sideways everywhere, I would like to though, what I do is watch the body position of taller riders, Colin Edwards and James Toseland in Moto GP are about two of the biggest guys out there so I would try to copy their body position, the problem with moto gp is the bikes and tyre combination allow loads more lean angle so they dont stick out their knee as far as there is not much chance of dragging hard parts, I think that a better riding style could be found by watching supersport or superbikes where the bikes geometry is more like the bikes we all ride!

except for those lucky enough to get to ride desmocedici's stuman! lol

The riders who I think have great form are about half my size. A local rider at the track here has a very unique style. But again, he's 5'7. Jockeys is what they are.

But dont you think that it would be better for you to try and copy the body position of a pro rider closer to the same size as you?

The riders who I think have great form are about half my size. A local rider at the track here has a very unique style. But again, he's 5'7. Jockeys is what they are.

But dont you think that it would be better for you to try and copy the body position of a pro rider closer to the same size as you?

Sort of. I don't keep up with the riders stats much. The only rider I know is Mladin, who's in the 6'2 range, and he has pretty sloppy form. I would emulate someones form if I thought it would help, but I just want to learn how to get my body in the best position possible. Watching other riders helps but I, myself, don't want to mimic one certain person. I think the basic form is pretty similar though regardless of the height.