What To Exercise For Endurance Track Racing?

Sorry about flooding the forum today! he he!

I'm just thinking I need to shape up a little and I was wondering what I should focus on? So far this is a brief list:

Stomach muscles - to avoid putting weight on the bars and screwing the handling up

Leg muscles - for the heavy braking

back muscles - for some reason I can't think of.

shoulder muscles - as above.

At the moment I'm just going for brief (but sedate) runs and lifting weights for the purpose of rep's and not large weights. Also I'm doing stomach crunches, until it doesn't feel pleasant and then I have a rest and do it again when I feel better.

As you can tell, I really have not having a clue down to a fine art!

Any comment welcome and appreciated.

Cheers!

Chris

Here's a link to a conversation we had not too long ago, that might have something valuable to you: http://forums.superbikeschool.com/index.php?showtopic=1301

I'm tweaking my workouts more for track riding, and a large focus is all the muscles you would think you'd use. I have a regular workout, but when I'm "resting" I work out a few areas for endurance. Thigh, midsection, and shoulders.

Thighs are good to have fit for obvious reasons, and when I say midsection, I include lower back and abs. They both tighten up that region and believe me, I don't know how old you are, but I'm 38, and my back is already shot. I work this area hard, and have noticed improvement in the months I've done it. Upper back and shoulders also help for endurance racing because of all the repetitive use.

If you come up with a good general workout, you won't go wrong. Being fit overall is helpful during wrecks. Fat cushions, but muscle holds parts firm.

Run. Run. Run. Or swim, or anything that will get and keep your heart rate up. And we've been through it somewhere on this site, but while you're exercising, don't be that guy with the water bottle. Unless you're doing hours long activity, your body can manage 45 minutes to an hour without drinking. And on that note: stay hydrated. I work out 5-7 times a day currently, and am doing a weeks worth of 2 a days. Drink WATER. Drink WATER. Drink WATER. Very important. Unless you're actively doing LONG workouts, hiking, biking, what have you, stay away from Gatorade and the like. If you're eating a relatively healthy diet, your body will be able to replete those losses from the food you eat.

Thanks Cobie, a friend recommended cycling - better on the knees than running apparently.

hubbard - thank you very VERY much for your comments and the link you provided...kept me reading for some time! Incredibly helpful, seems the right person read my question at the right time :-)

A useful 'sub-link' is this one:

http://www.mensfitness.com/sports_and_recr...reme_sports/112

It was provided by stevo and refers to an article in Men's Fitness magazine about what Nicky Hayden does.

Thank you so much, I'm going to get cracking - last night I went jogging/running, only took 5minutes before I had to go to walking pace...I'm quite unfit. I am eating salad though instead of the usual errr...500g of chocolate I usually eat per week, cut that down to 50g now. I've been doing random 'weights without a clue' for a month now and it does motivate you when the blood starts pumping!

Well it's lunch here in the UK, so I'm going to get a sandwich!

Cheers again,

Chris

PS I'm 32 by the way

There is a book by Al Sears (he has a website, haven't visited it yet), that has some data on workouts that I have used with good results. He talks about shorter periods, but more intense, and it made sense to me.

At the schools, we have found that many don't get enough elelctrolytes, so we have them there (salt and potassium mainly). Veggies help with this, and tons of water as Hub said. Some of my guys wear Camelbaks when riding for long times (we all do dirt riding in the desert).

Hi Chris

Somthing that may help you at your fitness level is a beginners 5K running plan, if you go onto the BUPA website they have loads of plans available for free. Start with the beginners 5K training then move onto the beginers 10k plan and so on, be honest with yourself regarding your fitness level and pick a plan to suit, if you pick a plan thats too advanced it will get too tough then you wont want to do it anymore!

Swimming is another good sport for working on your physical fitness, it is non impact, works every single muscle in your body and it helps improve flexability! If you try to fit 2 X 1 hour sessions of swimming per week into your plan you will feel a massive difference!

resistance training or weight training is the way to go as far as strength is concerned, it is definitely worth getting advice in this area, and I mean professional advice since just about every guy in the gym will think that they are an expert at this. What you want to achieve is strength without muscle mass so there is no point getting advice from a bodybuilder! John Hopkins says his fitness goals are to be as strong and as light as possible, the people that I think achieve that best are martial artists! Maybe worth joining a club or just getting advice on their training techniques!

Hope some of this helps and good luck with your endurance race!

Bikerchris - your other post about fluids & salts was inadvertantly deleted cos the moderator thought it contained spam. I answered at length - if you want the detailed answer, pls ask again. the short answer - for me - is that fluids + rehydrating salts are an essential even for trackdays - otherwise I get cramps - I do sweat though, & some dont seem to.

all the best. ian

Bikerchris - your other post about fluids & salts was inadvertantly deleted cos the moderator thought it contained spam. I answered at length - if you want the detailed answer, pls ask again. the short answer - for me - is that fluids + rehydrating salts are an essential even for trackdays - otherwise I get cramps - I do sweat though, & some dont seem to.

all the best. ian

We have found that potassium helps with the cramps. Salt and potassium are the main electrolytes. If you can't get any, eat tons of veggies, really helps.

CF

Hi acebobby,

Thank you very much for your tips, by chance I have randomly started jogging - possibly not 5k but not far from it (i hope!). There's not a convenient local swimming pool near me, so to replace it (and don't laugh anyone!) I'm trying yoga instead - because of the flexibility side of it.

That's a really good idea about martial arts, never thought about that and will research. You're right though, I don't want to bulk up but more strengthen up and lean up at the same time! So far I'm just doing press-ups, weighted squats and curls - but not with heavy weights, only 20-30KG or so. A friend said to focus on number of reps rather than large amount of weights...hope that's right!

Hi documented,

That's very kind of you to mention that my post was deleted - these things happen I suppose...and I was mentioning a chemical the body uses! I would like the longer answer if possible though - or if you don't wish to re-type (i hate doing that!) then by all means point me to a source you consider to be correct ;-) I sweat like a ho', so based on that I'm guessing I definitely need the salt?

Thanks Cobie, I'm mainly eating salad at the moment because it's so easy! Muchos appreciated though :-)

Oh, one problem I have suffered during my vigorous new exercise, is what feels like bruised lower ribs? Has anyone else ever had this? So far I've net-searched and found that I may have bruised them by breathing so heavily - having not been entirely fit for 6-12months or so, what do you think about that?

I must admit though, even though it's really tiring, jogging really pumps ya' up! :o

Bikerchris - Fluids + salts - OK, the longer answer ........

at mallory one time I got really bad cramp in my left forearm - but I was on a 916, which do have a notoriously heavy clutch. My arm went into a spasm & really just seized up (hilarious for bystanders, apparently <_< ) - my brother had to put the bike back in the van & drive it back to his as I couldn't. I went to see his doctor next day who said that it was nothing to do with fluid loss, just the heavy clutch - so I basically forgot about it & the problem just seemd to go away for a while - just one or two minor issues. Then one time at cadwell (hottest day of the year @ 30 degrees !! ) & I got cramp in my left arm again, so pitted early, then next session in my right arm & right thigh as well = no way I could ride like this - it's extr painful - and obviously something "not right" here. So - just as flier, I got 2 ltrs of water with a few sachets of sugar + salt out of the canteen & downed the lot over 20 mins & after another 30 mins I was right as rain & carried on fine for the whole day. You really do need potassium as well though (ideally).

Nowadays I always take rehydrating salts in a 2 ltr bottle of water & make sure I drink it all, but I do sweat like a pig & noticed that some do & some dont. So much for doctors ! ........ I guess that he was just giving me his best opinion. Nowadays I basically dont have cramps at all - but I make sure I drink it all even if I feel like I dont need to - you can buy it at any chemist "rehydrating salts" - for both sports and for diarrhoea (replacing lost fluids see). hope it helps - for me they're a "must have". all the best. ian.

Hey doc... that's a good story!

Another little thing for the lazy of us, forget the clutch on the upshifs, good time to relax that hand :rolleyes:

bicycle riding, running everyday, and lifting weights 5 days a week along with a solid low fat diet and I'm 165lbs, lean, and even starting to turn green. LOL!!! Just a big Kawi lover my 10r can't get enough of me!

I think I'll start getting some exercise this year.

Oh yeah - forgot to mention that - clutchless upshifts are a doddle & downshifts easy too with a little practice - just maybe not "practice" the downshifts on yer brand new desmosedici ;)

ian

Hey doc... that's a good story!

Another little thing for the lazy of us, forget the clutch on the upshifs, good time to relax that hand :rolleyes:

i feel like im flooding the forum by responding to a lot of threads today. lol.. sorry about that..

anyway.. i recently lost 26 lbs. it took me 5 months to do it. the biggest factor i think is the diet. i used to be a heavy lifter but i decided to just focus on getting lean and not so much bulky.. i still do calisthenics and body weight exercises. what i do more now though is cardio. not just 20 minutes worth but a good 50-60 minutes 3 times a week. it seems to be working a lot. i try to keep my heart rate at or above 160 bpm. i feel so much better now and so much lighter.

also do a lot of core work. anyone know who Jason Statham is? i kinda follow his routine. very intense.

kawdude636 - lol thanks for the info on what you do, sounds quite a bit for me! I'd love to be lean though, not just my diet!

Thanks again document, I did clutchless upshifts on the straight - mainly because it gave me a break from the massive vibration it suffers!

bellevuetlr - lol that's how I've felt recently (flooding the forum!). Interesting you mention your heart rate, I'm sure mine doesn't go over 100, but i've been told that my blood pressure is quite low (at rest it's around 50). Is Jason Statham that Brit actor in transporter? Good report though matey, cheers!