Tech Spec Gripsters Unexpected Benefit!

After attending level 2 at Eastern Creek 17th March, the hire bikes there had Tech Spec Gripsters on the tank. Being 6 foot 6 tall on a 1050 triumph speed triple, I'm looking for ways to make it easier to hang on to the little mongrel, so I went ahead and placed a set on. Now prior to this I had a tendency to seem to run too wide in tighter corners, resulting in lower corner speeds, and not a small amount of frustration! So anyway after the first ride with the gripsters being easily contacted with the knee, I noticed an unusual feeling, that being the feeling of the bars turning or dropping into the corner in my hands, resulting in much tighter and faster cornering, and a much improved feeling of confidence!

Some reflection on this phenomenon revealed this possibility - that by having a decent thing for me to grip onto with my knee/s rather than the bars had allowed me to relax my (unintentional) death grip on the poor thing! I mean, I knew that I had to relax from level one and two - indeed if you were to see me approaching Mt Keira or Macquarie Pass you would probably think I was trying to fly away, such was the waving of elbows a la level one. But subconciously I guess that without the extra grip afforded by the gripsters, I was still holding the bars tighter than I would have liked to out of necessity!

Has anyone got any similar experience, or could offer any further advice?

I can't wait for level 3 now, and also for the next ride day......I can thoroughly recommend this product!

Great post!

When you really get away from the bars, it's amazing the feeling you get isn't it.

The Tech-spec pads are a great product, no doubt.

That phenomenon you've found is the basis of the level 3 day. If you like that feeling, I think you'll enjoy level 3 alot!

Come say Hi on the day and introduce yourself.

Cheers Adam!

I hope to be doing the level 3 early next year - I usually trade xmas and birthday presents for a Superbike school. I have heard that the level 3 day is quite a physical day. As Steve Brouggy put it, level 1 people are walking around in amazement - "wow the throttle stabilises the bike", level 2 people have a puzzled look as they increase their visual abilities, level 3 people are just physically shattered! Can you recommend any specific training to prepare for the rigours of level 3, other than just general fitness?

Steve's right on that one! Level 3 is pretty physical, but the rewards are huge if you can nail the drills.

From what you've discovered so far, which part of the body do you think would do the most work in an ideal riding scenario? Upper body and arms, core, or lower body and legs? Think back to the relax drill...

FYI - There is a whole section of Twist of the Wrist II dedicated to this very point. Section 2, it starts on page 32.

Well.....Core strength is the basis of most sports these days, so I'd say that along with the lower body and legs would have to be the key. My embryonic attempts at moving my arse off the seat seems to put a fair bit of stress on the thighs - I'm not sure the seat on the triple is really ideal for sliding from side to side. Seems more like an up and over type of thing which takes some effort.

But I keep trying!

Exactly!

The legs anchor you to the bike, and your core keeps your upper body from just flailing around. So in terms of some form of preparation, cycling is a good place to start. It's no coincidence that many top level motorcycle riders are also high level cyclists. Anything that improves your legs strength or endurance will help for sure.

Oh, and we'll help you with how you're moving across the bike. There's a couple of drills on how to get that done as effectively as possible.

Well.....Core strength is the basis of most sports these days, so I'd say that along with the lower body and legs would have to be the key. My embryonic attempts at moving my arse off the seat seems to put a fair bit of stress on the thighs - I'm not sure the seat on the triple is really ideal for sliding from side to side. Seems more like an up and over type of thing which takes some effort.

But I keep trying!

Hi dbtriple, you may want to make sure your leather is good fit---(especially the pant not baggy, 1 piece leather is highly recommanded and a must for me at drills). it will help you hangoff with 1 leg locking the bike with ease-- and the inner foot off the inner peg, and with both hands completely off the handlebar at same time. You will find this exercise helpful at level 3, especially in the hook turn drill. You will have fun and new skills at level3.

But I keep trying!

Hi dbtriple, you may want to make sure your leather is good fit---(especially the pant not baggy, 1 piece leather is highly recommanded and a must for me at drills). it will help you hangoff with 1 leg locking the bike with ease-- and the inner foot off the inner peg, and with both hands completely off the handlebar at same time. You will find this exercise helpful at level 3, especially in the hook turn drill. You will have fun and new skills at level3.

Wow, I never thought about this detail, but I'm glad you mentioned it - I am hanging off more and having a bit of trouble locking in securely. I have plenty of Stomp Grip on my bike - but my leathers are a bit loose and it never dawned on me that my knee/thigh might be sliding within my leathers. I bet that is part of my difficulty, and of course that would not be easily observed. I'm going to watch for this on my next track day, you may have cleared up a little mystery for me! Thanks for that clever idea.

But I keep trying!

Wow, I never thought about this detail, but I'm glad you mentioned it - I am hanging off more and having a bit of trouble locking in securely. I have plenty of Stomp Grip on my bike - but my leathers are a bit loose and it never dawned on me that my knee/thigh might be sliding within my leathers. I bet that is part of my difficulty, and of course that would not be easily observed. I'm going to watch for this on my next track day, you may have cleared up a little mystery for me! Thanks for that clever idea.

Glad that we all find something to blame when not able to hang-off easily and well----our leather, and it is valid.

If we do not need to break-in the leather, or we can standup comfortably without lowering the zipper, the leather is too big.

See how nice fit Keith is in his leather:

http://www.superbikeschool.co.uk/keithcode.php

Looks less comfortable when standing but will be perfect at riding position. I learn something from this picture.

post-8291-1246863479_thumb.jpg

When getting measured for the leathers, the bloke (DBT leathers at Yagoona in Sydney) specifically mentions tailoring the leathers for the "crouched" riding position. Similar to the fit of keith's leathers from the photo, my leathers are sort of uncomfortable when walking around with them zipped up, especially across the chest, but on the bike when riding they are a perfect fit, which is what you really need from them I suppose - the primary purpose is for protection when riding, not comfort when you are walking around the joint. I'm sure that plenty of guys can get a perfect fit off the rack, but for me it was custom made or nothing. Cost $2000 aus but money well spent - I wish I'd done it years ago instead of mucking about with 3 other sets of gear.

I reckon it's worth getting measured in person - I see some leather places get you to send in your measurements on a form, but for the money you spend, you'd want to get it right - you'd be spewing if you sent in the wrong measurement and got poor fitting leathers for the money.......

If leathers are too big and drop down, when one tries to hang off, they bind. I had this problem--long torso, short legs, the leathers were too long in the legs. For some, off the shelf fits just fine, but others, nothing like a nice custom set.

CF

• 3 months later...
If leathers are too big and drop down, when one tries to hang off, they bind. I had this problem--long torso, short legs, the leathers were too long in the legs. For some, off the shelf fits just fine, but others, nothing like a nice custom set.

CF

CF: I have a similar proportioned build and I think your answer would contain some relevence. What is meant by the term "binding"?

CF: I have a similar proportioned build and I think your answer would contain some relevence. What is meant by the term "binding"?

6--simply restricting motion. When they would drop down, and I woudl try and hang off, they keep me from moving my leg easily. It was a realization to me at first to think that leather that were too LARGE were actually inhibiting my movement. It wasn't until i had some that fit properly, and followed the line of the leg up to the groin, that i realized this. Make sense?

CF

6--simply restricting motion. When they would drop down, and I woudl try and hang off, they keep me from moving my leg easily. It was a realization to me at first to think that leather that were too LARGE were actually inhibiting my movement. It wasn't until i had some that fit properly, and followed the line of the leg up to the groin, that i realized this. Make sense?

CF

CF: yes, totally. Thankyou again01_thumbup.gif

This sparks another question about the bikes that will be provided. While my bike is STILL in the shop, I'm trying to keep up with my BP on my wife's bike, but don't feel comfortable without stomp-grip. Do the schools bikes have it? I've been riding with it on my bike for almost 2 years, and even though it's similar to the schools bike, I don't know how comfortable I'll be able to get not having it.

Hey DB,

Good topic!! As a personal trainer I may finally have something to offer :) strength and endurance, lots of squats, lunges, step ups, abs and as adam said the spin classes or getting on the bike is a good, try and get one with adjustable seat and handlebars, and keep your rest periods down to 60 seconds or so.

Thanks Cobie for explaining the same trouble im having with my leathers, Im constantly adjusting my legs.

Jason I think you'll like the tech specs on the school bikes, after riding the school bike I went out and bought them for all my bikes (well 2 anyway) the rest still exist only in my dreams.

Jason I think you'll like the tech specs on the school bikes, after riding the school bike I went out and bought them for all my bikes (well 2 anyway) the rest still exist only in my dreams.

I just bought some this weekend since CSS were selling them at the track. I don't know how I managed without them. I'm able to completely let go of the bars every turn now which has reduced the lean angle required and allowed me to carry more corner speed. Also, I was much less fatigued surprisingly enough. Much less fighting myself and the bike.

• 2 months later...
When getting measured for the leathers, the bloke (DBT leathers at Yagoona in Sydney) specifically mentions tailoring the leathers for the "crouched" riding position. Similar to the fit of keith's leathers from the photo, my leathers are sort of uncomfortable when walking around with them zipped up, especially across the chest, but on the bike when riding they are a perfect fit

What you just described is affectionally known as "the gorilla factor", since you get this slightly hunched over position while off the bike :lol:

I'm sure that plenty of guys can get a perfect fit off the rack, but for me it was custom made or nothing. Cost $2000 aus but money well spent - I wish I'd done it years ago instead of mucking about with 3 other sets of gear.

I reckon it's worth getting measured in person - I see some leather places get you to send in your measurements on a form, but for the money you spend, you'd want to get it right - you'd be spewing if you sent in the wrong measurement and got poor fitting leathers for the money.......

I couldn't agree more. I had a set of leathers made-to-measure in 1998 (for road riding) and it was just fantastic. My current Dianese 1-piece that I use for track riding is a standard size 56, but it's 4" too short in the legs and 2" in the arms. I guess that at 6'6" and 190lbs, I'm just not measuring up to EU-standard sizes :huh:

After 12 seasons of riding the leather on the tailored suit is deteriorating and the colours doesn't look as nice, so just before Christmas I had measurements taken for both a 1-piece (for the track) and a 2-piece (for the road). Christmas 2010 should arrive around February 1st :):):)

...After 12 seasons of riding the leather on the tailored suit is deteriorating and the colours doesn't look as nice, so just before Christmas I had measurements taken for both a 1-piece (for the track) and a 2-piece (for the road). Christmas 2010 should arrive around February 1st :):):)

Nice x-mas present indeed!

One thing that we have found with used leathers is the salt that can accumulate. We started to wash the leathers, then recondition them.

Washing in the tub with a mild soap. Rinse repeatedly, (until the water no longer is dirty), dry, then condition. Has worked quite well. Don't dry too fast, like not in the dryer. I did use a fan at one point when they were taking a while to get dried.

Nothing like a new set, but a way to keep the older around and in good order.

Best,

CF

ps--I g

...After 12 seasons of riding the leather on the tailored suit is deteriorating and the colours doesn't look as nice, so just before Christmas I had measurements taken for both a 1-piece (for the track) and a 2-piece (for the road). Christmas 2010 should arrive around February 1st :):):)

Nice x-mas present indeed!

One thing that we have found with used leathers is the salt that can accumulate. We started to wash the leathers, then recondition them.

Washing in the tub with a mild soap. Rinse repeatedly, (until the water no longer is dirty), dry, then condition. Has worked quite well. Don't dry too fast, like not in the dryer. I did use a fan at one point when they were taking a while to get dried.

Nothing like a new set, but a way to keep the older around and in good order.

Best,

CF

ps--I g

Nice to get this cleaning info-- I always worry about leather may shrink a lot when wash and dry fast.

Wondering anyone has also sent their leather for professional leather cleaning or dry cleaning, with good result?

When getting measured for the leathers, the bloke (DBT leathers at Yagoona in Sydney) specifically mentions tailoring the leathers for the "crouched" riding position. Similar to the fit of keith's leathers from the photo, my leathers are sort of uncomfortable when walking around with them zipped up, especially across the chest, but on the bike when riding they are a perfect fit

What you just described is affectionally known as "the gorilla factor", since you get this slightly hunched over position while off the bike :lol:

I'm sure that plenty of guys can get a perfect fit off the rack, but for me it was custom made or nothing. Cost $2000 aus but money well spent - I wish I'd done it years ago instead of mucking about with 3 other sets of gear.

I couldn't agree more. I had a set of leathers made-to-measure in 1998 (for road riding) and it was just fantastic. My current Dianese 1-piece that I use for track riding is a standard size 56, but it's 4" too short in the legs and 2" in the arms. I guess that at 6'6" and 190lbs, I'm just not measuring up to EU-standard sizes :huh:

After 12 seasons of riding the leather on the tailored suit is deteriorating and the colours doesn't look as nice, so just before Christmas I had measurements taken for both a 1-piece (for the track) and a 2-piece (for the road). Christmas 2010 should arrive around February 1st :):):)

I think the Dainese suits, without wishing to reinforce any ethnic stereotypes, may be suited to your shorter southern European style of person, that being a bit shorter in the arm and leg per waist size than your lanky northern european...

Roll on Feb 1 for you, nice going!

regards

db

Seems like new leathers are all the rage for christmas presents.I just bought the Shift SR1 1 piece, really comfortable soft leather and designs like Astars used to be afew years ago. I did try on dainese, astars, teknic, rst for thin and long people and berik suits fit pretty well but they were all to too short in the torso or to massive in the arms and legs.

Unfortunately I dont have the money to lash out on a new pair of custom leathers so I chose the best fitting and am taking them to MARs leathers in Melbourne to get them altered, the suit cost $600 and the tailoring shouldn't be more than $250. Its as close as I'll get to a set of custom leathers.

Bought the tech spec grip and what a massive improvement that made, no longer sliding into the tank when braking hard our slipping off the side when tipping in. It has let me be more confident in my body position because Im holding onto the tank better and letting me relax my upper body more. Great piece of kit that I wished I'd known about years ago.

D

• 1 month later...

Well, Christmas 2010 came a little late, but still in time for the season - picked up both of my suits today and they look and feel awesome.

The photo of the 2-piece road suit is pretty bad due to the reflective material fooling the light sensor on the camera.

The yellow 1-piece is of course inspired by the Yamaha Laguna Seca 2005 team colors (a tribute to the "bumblebee" colors used by King Kenny in Ye Olde Days).

Woo-hoo!

Kai

post-15296-1267129877_thumb.jpg

post-15296-1267129946_thumb.jpg