Body Position To Knee Down Advice Please

ozfireblade

Hi Guys,

I've been going around out of the way roundabouts trying to sort out body and head position for corners and I find the more i drop my shoulder and move my head around the screen the more twisted and out of place I feel I become. plus I think the roundabout may be a tad small, speeds around 50 km/h round the roundabout, I have about 3 mils of rubber on the rear to scrub away, and about 10 mil on the front, countersteering problem?. My knee still wont get down and Im wondering if my short little legs might be the problem. Im off the bike to the point my groin starts hurting. any advice?

Thanks

Hi Guys,

I've been going around out of the way roundabouts trying to sort out body and head position for corners and I find the more i drop my shoulder and move my head around the screen the more twisted and out of place I feel I become. plus I think the roundabout may be a tad small, speeds around 50 km/h round the roundabout, I have about 3 mils of rubber on the rear to scrub away, and about 10 mil on the front, countersteering problem?. My knee still wont get down and Im wondering if my short little legs might be the problem. Im off the bike to the point my groin starts hurting. any advice?

Thanks

My advice would be to not worry about dragging your knee just yet. I'm not that tall and I wondered if I was at a disadvantage compared to guys with long legs but I don't think it's that big of a factor. I'm the same height as Stoner, Lorenzo and Biaggi and I too eventually figured it out, but I wasn't after a half dozen track days and a school session. I don't think trying to drag your knee on public roads is a great idea with things like sand, gravel, animals, etc. around- wait till you get to the track.

For countersteering I'd suggest finding an empty road or big empty parking lot where you can concentrate on just this one thing. Go slow, 50km/h is OK, an just gently push on one side of the bars, then the other. Then you can more clearly see that if you push on the left, the bike goes to the left etc.

Hi Guys,

Thanks

My advice would be to not worry about dragging your knee just yet. I'm not that tall and I wondered if I was at a disadvantage compared to guys with long legs but I don't think it's that big of a factor. I'm the same height as Stoner, Lorenzo and Biaggi and I too eventually figured it out, but I wasn't after a half dozen track days and a school session. I don't think trying to drag your knee on public roads is a great idea with things like sand, gravel, animals, etc. around- wait till you get to the track.

For countersteering I'd suggest finding an empty road or big empty parking lot where you can concentrate on just this one thing. Go slow, 50km/h is OK, an just gently push on one side of the bars, then the other. Then you can more clearly see that if you push on the left, the bike goes to the left etc.

I am not a expert but have something to tell you:

I always worried about dragging the Knee, but actually when I give up of dragging it and worry about improve the riding I dragged the Knee with no inttention of doing it.

Today I see thet not touching the Knee on the ground I do the turn better that when I want to drag the Knee! My legs are very short like yours, so when you want to drag it, hang off a lot and leave only the back of the leg (not the butt) on the seat and lean a lot that you will touch the ground! But see if the tires are already warm and do it gradually !

Good lucky!

Hi Guys,

My knee still wont get down and Im wondering if my short little legs might be the problem. Im off the bike to the point my groin starts hurting. any advice?

Thanks

It is possible to be hanging off in a way that makes it harder to get the knee down. Are you right up against the gas tank and sorta rotating around it to get in your hang off position?

It is possible to be hanging off in a way that makes it harder to get the knee down. Are you right up against the gas tank and sorta rotating around it to get in your hang off position?

Not too sure I'm a fist away from the tank and hang one cheek off,maybe further back off more? I dont think Im rotating around (just moved states so no riding buddies at the moment) so im not sure if Im turning my knee back into the tank. Im on the ball of the inside foot, on the peg. Shoulders dropped, head out and around looking into the turn.

Im not too bothered about the knee down Id rather be faster and safer, just reckon its a waste of a pair of sliders I reckon!!Im sure a few track days and the school will sort me out.

Thnanks for the help

If your current riding position is your avatar, you're going to need much more work than BP to get faster, and more to concern yourself with to help the bike perform better. The knee dragging will come. Keep working on getting your BP down, and it will all fall into place.

If your current riding position is your avatar, you're going to need much more work than BP to get faster, and more to concern yourself with to help the bike perform better. The knee dragging will come. Keep working on getting your BP down, and it will all fall into place.

I have a picture ? I dont have any freinds to take one ;) will get one from my ride day and post that so you guys can 'correct' my BP . Cheers

Oz,

There is a bit of technique involved in the correct body position, and how it can effect the bike and rider well, or poorly (in some cases very poorly). A few pieces will be addressed in Level 1, the next big one in Level 2. Are you doing 1 or 2 days?

CF

Hi Coby,

At the moment Im just doing level 1 but if I can convince the minister of war and finance(wife) Im doing 2 days!!! Im already putting things into practice from the forum and like you guys say the smoother it is the faster more confident you become...makes it harder to get off the bike than before.

Hi Coby,

At the moment Im just doing level 1 but if I can convince the minister of war and finance(wife) Im doing 2 days!!! Im already putting things into practice from the forum and like you guys say the smoother it is the faster more confident you become...makes it harder to get off the bike than before.

Remind the minister that this is a school, and we GUARANTEE you will leave a better rider (at least here in the US we do :)). AND she is protecting her investment.

CF

get a roadracing world mag...look at all of the worlds best riders and their postitions. Get that BP look burned into your brain. My first track day and the few there afterwards I never was even trying and I dragged knees on 10 of the 11 corners. I was even draggin on my first lap turn 2-11 except for 4 which is a kink!!! It will come, it might just skip lightly, but don't abuse it, cause I did going down real far got on the gas too soon on my exit and lowsided...it will come in due time and everyone has their own speed of learning...I will say its an amazing feeling and if it wasn't for the track I wouldn't be riding anymore..The police have it out for me on the street...