Rear Brake

Luiz_Direito

Hey, guys! I am Luiz from Brazil , so my english is very bad! I have a modified Rz350 in honor to Wayne Rainey, and rided it a few times in the track, but still have a long way of riding skills to learn, however I always use the knowledge that I learn in Keith Code´s books, but I still have a doubt:

Approaching the turn I brake hard the front brake shifting down simultaneously, but I don´t Know how to use the rear brake and when.

In the right turns it is very difficult to use it, because there is no space between the motorcycle and the ground to put the right foot in the lever of the rear brake.

Here is me in my Rz trying to improve my riding alone, if you have any suggestion to improve my riding position or anything, it will be welcome, but I have to tell you that this leather suit is very hard , hurts a lot and makes difficult to down the buble in the turn.

http://www.trintaecinco.com.br/forum/viewt...=7844#pid151862

Thanks to all!

Hey, guys! I am Luiz from Brazil , so my english is very bad! I have a modified Rz350 in honor to Wayne Rainey, and rided it a few times in the track, but still have a long way of riding skills to learn, however I always use the knowledge that I learn in Keith Code´s books, but I still have a doubt:

Approaching the turn I brake hard the front brake shifting down simultaneously, but I don´t Know how to use the rear brake and when.

In the right turns it is very difficult to use it, because there is no space between the motorcycle and the ground to put the right foot in the lever of the rear brake.

Here is me in my Rz trying to improve my riding alone, if you have any suggestion to improve my riding position or anything, it will be welcome, but I have to tell you that this leather suit is very hard , hurts a lot and makes difficult to down the buble in the turn.

Thanks to all!

Dear Luiz,

Keith's books say a couple of things that can help you. For one thing, it is better to have the braking finished before you turn in for the corner. This way you can put all your attention onto your corner speed. So start braking earlier, finish earlier, and set your speed right for the corner! After you get your corner speed set ok, then you can think about braking later, but always keeping it smooth.If you finish your braking before the turn, then you will have no problem with no room for your foot on the brake lever.

Also, on the track, the rear brake is not much good for slowing down; if you are braking the front tyre takes most of the braking forces, and the rear tyre is sometimes in the air! Best to let the front do the braking and forget about the rear.

So that's a couple of things for you, remember your $10 of attention, and use it first for braking, then you can re spend it on the corner speed.

Good luck!

db

Thanks to all!

Dear Luiz,

Keith's books say a couple of things that can help you. For one thing, it is better to have the braking finished before you turn in for the corner. This way you can put all your attention onto your corner speed. So start braking earlier, finish earlier, and set your speed right for the corner! After you get your corner speed set ok, then you can think about braking later, but always keeping it smooth.If you finish your braking before the turn, then you will have no problem with no room for your foot on the brake lever.

Also, on the track, the rear brake is not much good for slowing down; if you are braking the front tyre takes most of the braking forces, and the rear tyre is sometimes in the air! Best to let the front do the braking and forget about the rear.

So that's a couple of things for you, remember your $10 of attention, and use it first for braking, then you can re spend it on the corner speed.

Good luck!

db

Thank you very much, Db!

I will do what you said!

In my last practice I practiced a lot the 60% on the rear with 40% on the front, and it improved a lot my riding. With this I increase a lot my speed turn even I entered in the turns slower I leave it faster than the other guys!

Thank you and have a good week!

Consider:

1.) The rear brake is very inefficient because of the weight transfer to the front wheel under braking.

2.) Consider using front brake only and stopping in 200' With the help of the rear brake you would

stop 8' quicker, 4% more efficient.

3.) Does anyone ever stop on a race track? Don't we just slow down?

4.) What is the risk vs reward? I would say more risk than reward on the track.

I saw Carlos Checa backing it in to one of the turns at Nurinburgring this weekend.

Can you brake like Carlos Checa?

5.) On the street in an emergency situation 8' might save your life

6.) Save the rear brake for when you run off the track, it then comes in real handy.

Rear brake..... rear brake..... I've heard of it and think I have one on my bike.....

Seriously. I'd say rear brake use on a track is more for advanced riders, and you should probably stay off of it until you get better (because there is so much more you can be learning that will benefit you more), if you choose to use it at all. Including commuting, I really can't remember the last time I used my rear brake. It was probably the last time I went off the track and was still on the bike. It will pay off more if you put your attention more on locking into the tank with hard braking instead of using the rear brake.

The only time I use a rear brake, and I do quite a bit actually, is on slow speed stuff, in paddock, or turning the bike really sharply (U-Turn's), things like that. Makes it much more stable, on track, never go near it.

Bullet

What will a rider go for in a panic situation? Go back to what he/she has trained? Is your foot or your fingers more sensitve?

What percentage of the braking will the front brake do, on just about any sport bike made in the last 30 years?

Some things to consider.

CF

broke my rear brake lever...don't need it so not replacing it off the git

...so what will you use to slow down if you end up off track and on the grass?

For example, did you see Neal Hodgson's last lap off track excursion at VIR?

Using your front brake on the grass can land you on your (gr)ass pretty quickly. Also, if you crash and break off your front brake lever, what will the corner workers rely upon to control the bike.

...just a couple of thoughts for you to consider...

Rainman

For example, did you see Neal Hodgson's last lap off track excursion at VIR?

Great points Kevin. I've known a few people who've gone on the track with no rear brake, and these points never occurred to any of us. Something I'll know from now on. And Hodgson was MOVING. Fastest part of that track, and he decides to do cross country.