What Makes A Good Student?

spthomas

I wanted to turn the question around, so I wanted to make a new thread to not confuse the other one... seeing as I'm signed up for Level 2 at VIR in a few weeks...

What are the component pieces that make a good coach, in this sport, or really any other for that matter?

Here is one piece that has to be there, and pretty darn fundamental: observing. And you might think to yourself, "Cobie, that's pretty obvious dude." Maybe it is, maybe it isn't. But that ability to simply observe what is happening in front of you, this is not a skill of minor importance.

What do you guys see as another skill in a good coach? (or comments on the above).

Best,

Cobie

What are the component pieces that make a good student, in this sport, or really any other for that matter?

There's a number of coaches on the board here, so what can a student to to make your day!?

Best,

Steve

I wanted to turn the question around, so I wanted to make a new thread to not confuse the other one... seeing as I'm signed up for Level 2 at VIR in a few weeks...

What are the component pieces that make a good coach, in this sport, or really any other for that matter?

Here is one piece that has to be there, and pretty darn fundamental: observing. And you might think to yourself, "Cobie, that's pretty obvious dude." Maybe it is, maybe it isn't. But that ability to simply observe what is happening in front of you, this is not a skill of minor importance.

What do you guys see as another skill in a good coach? (or comments on the above).

Best,

Cobie

What are the component pieces that make a good student, in this sport, or really any other for that matter?

There's a number of coaches on the board here, so what can a student to to make your day!?

Best,

Steve

How interesting. Is this an attempt to get us to say what really pisses us off about certain students? :P Well, I think it's probably fair to start by saying that the coaches all have different personalities, (obviously), have different coaching experiences, have different backgrounds in terms of racing/speed, etc, etc, so there ideal student does vary a lot as well, but in an attempt to try and generalise it a little of some over all things i personally enjoy in working with a student, we can use that as a starter for 10, and others can chime in when they see this thread.

So... here's my list of things that make s a great student.... : -

- Don't think you need to be a racing god, a trackday hero, or an aspiring racing weekend warrior. You can be a normal road rider of any level, and often we get incredibly great results from the most modest of riding abilities.

- Try, and I say this to those that are new, realising it can be hard, try and get a good nights sleep, try and keep of to many beers or whatever it is that floats your boat, it'll impede your ability to learn for probably the first half of the day.

- Arrive early, get yourself well prepared for the day ahead. It's a long day, rushing into the circuit 10 mins before the days starts is really not a fab plan for either you as the student, (sigining on, getting your kit checked, us checking your bike, you being late, can make our lives harder as well as your own).

- Come with an open mind, be prepared to take on the observation and input you get from the coaches. In your mind you're close to Valentino, that body position mid turn is awesome for those pics, that weaving mid corner is so damn exciting, but all joking aside, if your coach advises you it's not doing you much favours, take it pretty much as read they're advising you for your benefit.

-Don't think we have a magic pouch of pixie dust in our school kit bag. By just coming to the school, sitting in the seminars, going on track and progressing through the 4 levels wil not automatically turn you into a riding god. Much as we'd love to be able to sell you that one, I'm afraid it takes lots of dedication, practice and work to refine the skills we coach you on when you go away from us. You're dedication will be rewarded though. ;)

- Don't have an agenda, arriving having done many trackdays or other schools perhaps, thinking, well, I need to work on this aspect of my riding, and this alone, (usually body position by the way!), and just thinking, well, I don't need to work on any of these other aspects of the course, I know it all, I'm all good thanks. As essentially, you'll get frustrated, and we'll make little progress. I'm almost certain everyone can improve all aspects of their riding to some degree, arrive with that in mind, see what we can do for you, change or ammend, and you'll get a lot of out it. Remember, we coach all levels of riders, novices to world class level!

- If you're not having a the day you'd hoped for, you're not perhaps engaging/connecting with your coach, mention it, talk to the Cheif Riding Coach or your seminarist . We're very aware of it ourselves as coaches, sometimes it happens, we won't take offence if you want to swap and try another coach, we often reccomend it ourselves, so don't think you can't do that yourselves. We want you to get the very most from your day.

-Please don't crash, it's not ideal for you, and niether is it for us. So remember it's a school, ride at a level you can learn at, not thinking you need to try and stuff your mate up at the next race meeting or trackday.

- Last but not least ( and this a personal goal for me at a day at the school as well, baring in mind this is my vacation time), have fun guys. ;)

Hope this serves as a good starter for 10.

Bullet

Here's my take.

A good student...

... comes with an open mind.

... checks their ego at the door.

... focuses on one thing at a time. You won't fix all your riding issues in one session. Just focus on whatever skill they talked about in the classroom before your ride.

... allows the coach to be the coach and does not try to tell the coach everything they think they are doing wrong.

... pays attention in the classroom and tries that skill on track.

... is willing to try something different and work at it, even if it feels a little awkward at first.

... rides within their limits and is not concerned about how fast they are.

... and most of all tips their coach a large sum at the end of the day :)

This is a good question!

Bit of ground already covered, so here is something I like:

The student is willing to be in good communication with you. Some really just want to talk a lot, some want the coach to do all the talking, tell them everything they are doing wrong. If the student will be in communication, just about anything can be sorted out.

CF

I was at the school this weekend, watched a guy that had very limited riding experience progress through Level 1. I was blown away by how well he was riding at the end of the day and it seemed to me like it was all about being open-minded, listening closely in the classroom, really practicing/applying the drills, and not riding over his head. He had no expectations of "going fast" but by the end of the day he was going very fast. He clearly had a terrific time and told me he'd remember the day for the rest of his life. That's repeating some of the same points that Stuman and Bullet made... but I saw such a dramatic example, just yesterday, that I really wanted to mention it.

What makes a good student? Just look at my profile page...

Ai, you pedal alright for an old codger! ;)

Welcome back as well. Where ya been...?

Bullet

Doing your homework seems like it would help a lot. The TOTW books and dvds have the same information taught at the school. Seems like studying the info before gives a common ground to build on. Then the student/instructor can focus on understanding the lessons vs just teaching what the basic lessons are?

Studying the info after the school is also usually good for a few "ah" moments too.

Bullet

Bullet, speak English, will ya? LOL

I think you'll find old boy, that I most definitely speak the Queens english, not quite so sure what slang you lot speak myself, but I try and keep up. ;) Please find definition of codger.. http://www.thefreedictionary.com/codger :lol:

Bullet

... focuses on one thing at a time. You won't fix all your riding issues in one session. Just focus on whatever skill they talked about in the classroom before your ride.

I agree with everything Stuman said, but this one stands out for me. Learn one piece at a time, it's okay to get a bit "fuzzy" on a previous skill while you learn something new.

Bullet

I have been on hiatus...I would look in from time to time and found that it just wasn't the same without me! LOL!

Seriously.....you guys are great and I missed you. Thanks Bullet.

Bullet

I have been on hiatus...I would look in from time to time and found that it just wasn't the same without me! LOL!

Seriously.....you guys are great and I missed you. Thanks Bullet.

There you are, 'bout time! :)

CF

SO glad to see you back on the board, I missed ya.

think you need a new avatar.

CF