Bike setup for Track day

I'm going through the motion of preparing my bike for August 3rd at VIR which is my first ever track day. The bike is a 2002 VFR in good shape and I don't expect there to be any problems when I get to the track, but I'd hate to show up and find out my bike won't pass safety inspection because I missed something.

What I've done so far:

• Checked all fluids for level and quality
  • confirmed there are no leaks anywhere
  • Installed new brake pads and bedded them in
  • Verified Chain and sprockets - These were replaced about 1000 miles ago and are in good shape
  • Tires have maybe... 600 miles on them and have not been ridden on aggressively.

A few questions:

• I have the original factory cover over the pillion section of the seat. Do I need to remove this?
  • Do I need to remove my mirrors?

Is there a checklist I can find somewhere that has all of this information? I have to think there is one out there somewhere but this was all I could find at the CSS site:

• Good tires (90% TREAD)
  • Good brakes and throttle action
  • No fluid leaks
  • NOTE: We will tape your mirrors at the track.

If that's it then I am good to go, but as I said it would be awful to show up and find out different.

For Safety gear:

• 1 yr old Bell Helmet (Qualifier DLX with MIPS)
  • Riding gloves with knuckle protection
  • Leather boots with 10'' upper

I'll be renting a suit so hopefully that covers my bases there.

My thanks out to the more experienced!

B

Oh, I did have one other question. My Wife wanted to come with me to spectate and take photos. She was hoping my 10 yr old son could come as well. Is that OK to do? I thought I saw something that said I could only bring one other person with me but now I can't find it again. If my boy can't go then the Missus will have to stay behind as well.

B

The pillion seat cover is not a problem as long as it is secure so there are no concerns about it coming off. You can remove the mirrors or just tape over them, or we will tape them for you during tech inspection. It will get you through tech faster in the morning if your mirrors and brake light are already taped.

It sounds like you have it covered - good tires (90% tread), check your throttle and make sure it turns smoothly and closes on its own when released, make sure your brake lever operates properly, that nothing is leaking. Make sure to bring your key, and fuel. 

We will have a mechanic on site so if your bike needs adjustment for something (chain tension, suspension, etc.) we should be able to help with that.

Gauntlet gloves that cover your wrist are preferred, so there is no gap between gloves and suit.

I always recommend an underlayer or undersuit for the leathers, something like UnderArmour, much more comfortable than a cotton tshirt and cooler. (Not a requirement, just a suggestion.)

You'll have to call the office to check on spectators at VIR. The rules will depend on what the track is requiring at the moment, CSS will certainly not mind your wife and son being there, but I don't know what protocols at that track are right now, things have been changing constantly the last two years with tracks all over the country.

Throttle and brake are great. Snappy on the throttle and smooth on the brakes. My gloves go up over the joint of my wrist so hopefully that will do the job. 

Under armor type shirt/shorts was what I was planning on using underwear the racing leathers. 

Thanks hotfoot. I definitely feel a bit better about my prep work now. I'm likely pulling off the mirrors. Is blue painters tape for the tail light OK? Should I tape the headlights as well? 

10 hours ago, Blackened said:

Throttle and brake are great. Snappy on the throttle and smooth on the brakes. My gloves go up over the joint of my wrist so hopefully that will do the job. 

Under armor type shirt/shorts was what I was planning on using underwear the racing leathers. 

Thanks hotfoot. I definitely feel a bit better about my prep work now. I'm likely pulling off the mirrors. Is blue painters tape for the tail light OK? Should I tape the headlights as well? 

Painters tape is great since it won't leave much residue when you take it off. I tend to tape over all front and back lights when I bring a street bike. For "bonus points" you can also pull the fuse for the lights, but not strictly required. I went and found some old pictures of when I took my street bike to the track -- I'm pretty meticulous, no need to be this neat if you don't want to be, but here's an example:

13691054_10101919866364547_4579143163685443836_o.jpg

13693032_10101919866324627_4403088390272063389_o.jpg

Just out of interest, would you recommend taping over the speedo as well?  I know it's covered on the school bikes but was unsure if it's suggested for personal bikes.  

13 hours ago, Vic said:

Just out of interest, would you recommend taping over the speedo as well?  I know it's covered on the school bikes but was unsure if it's suggested for personal bikes.  

The school will tape over it if you don't, for general track days I generally keep mine taped as well -- no reason to look at it.

13 hours ago, yakaru said:

The school will tape over it if you don't, for general track days I generally keep mine taped as well -- no reason to look at it.

Good to know, and makes perfect sense.  Thank you.

• 1 month later...