Leather Racing Suits?

I was wondering if anyone knew a place to get a decent suit without breaking the bank. I have a wife and kid that I support on one pay check so can't really pay thousands. Thanks for your help and input in advance.

Joe

I am kind of new here - but define breaking the bank?

You should be able to get into something very decent at the 1k or lower mark.

Have you checked any of the closeout sites? (i don't know the local policies - this is post #2 for me.. so i won't go posting links to commercial sites..)

There are a lot of good deals to be found.. I have a teknic speedstar kangaroo suit I picked up from a guy on ebay new with tags for 600 bucks.. Those are over 1k new

For sure can't beat a good deal on E-bay, someone that can't us them and needs to sell. We have been very happey with the off the shelf AGV Sport products, in particular the suits. They are durable, and we have seen them crashed in a lot. The prices are very competitive too. Here is there site: http://www.agvsport.com/.

Some other things that might not be well known: the owner, Michael, is a rider himself, and really does care that he gets a good product out at a very good price. He has also sponsored the school longer than anyone, it's over 20 years, pretty cool.

Since he is a sponsor, you'd of course expect me to say that, but I do like the off-the-shelf gear, and seen them do the job for many years. I've also got one of the brand new suits, and really like tthem leather feels great.

There you go, biased opinion. :)

best,

CF

I don't know if you have a Cycle Gear around, but they sell a brand called Frank Thomas. It's really inexpensive, and most of the quality is good, but you may as well buy a new zipper for it as soon as you buy the suit. They also have some deals on other suits that are close outs.

One other thing that's important is fit...

Your bodyshape - height and weight..

You may need your suit customized (you can take an off the shelf suit to a good leather repair place (there are places that specialize in racing suits - such as spyder leatherworks) and have them bring in part.

IE.. Dainese suits fit like Armani suits.. Vanson are cut more for "american" men (not including you california skinnys) :)

incidentally I have heard good things from some of the other big guys i know about AlpineStar trigger and charger suits (most suits are to small in the chest and big in the pants for a lot of us bigger guys)..

I used the school's suit and like it so much that I got an agv suit myself. But there are several decent suits at a variety of price points. I've talked to a lot of people that like the Celtic suits from sportbiketrackgear.com. I've also seen alot of suits for sale lately in the wera forum classified section. New and used both at good prices. I'd link it but I'm on my phone. Google Wera forum classified and look in the gear for sale sections. Might find some other good deals on gear if you are just getting started.

I was wondering if anyone knew a place to get a decent suit without breaking the bank. I have a wife and kid that I support on one pay check so can't really pay thousands. Thanks for your help and input in advance.

Joe

You can get a good brand new suit for $300~$400 USD easy, for around $600 USD can get a custom suit. They might be cheap, but they are by no means "no name" brands. Comfort is the key, if you can spend a bit more on a custom suit.

You don't HAVE to buy A*'s or Dai's, spend the money on track days instead..... :lol::lol:

I have a Frank Thomas suit... And have gone down on it...

The suit did it's job well... I still have it and ride it...

I would suggest by a decent back protector and good boots / gloves...

Luis.

• 1 month later...

How about caring for them? Does anyone do anything special? I wear it, let the sweat dry out, wash the liner, and store it. I've had my suit for 2 years now, have worn it a lot, am not nice to it, and have gone down twice in it.

I don't take care of the leather, and haven't noticed any problem in the leather, stitching, or zippers. I'm sure not caring for it is shortening the life, but by how much? Do any of you use the leather cleaner? Anyone know what the school does to get the most out of their suits?

If its a stinking hot day I'll think about washing the liner...when it gets wet and dries out i'll hit it with some leather revitaliser stuff, for my car seats, that seems to about do it, softens the leather back up and gets it nice and clean. Nothing special.

• 1 month later...