Power Or Handling

What brings you the most pleasure when track riding; massive power or nimble handling?

While a BMW S1000RR is nimble for a litre machine, it is still a tank compared to a 125cc GP racer. And in between there's a lot of different compromises to choose from. Which would you choose?

What brings you the most pleasure when track riding; massive power or nimble handling?

While a BMW S1000RR is nimble for a litre machine, it is still a tank compared to a 125cc GP racer. And in between there's a lot of different compromises to choose from. Which would you choose?

I want it all!!!

With a long torso, the 125's were cramped for me, but man, what a cornering load of fun, and really they do pull pretty hard coming off the turns.

CF

Handling.

The full throttle run down the straight only gets me to the next corner a little faster, the corners are what does it for me.

I race a Ninja 250 and just picked up a Moriwaki 250 for next season, so I generally gravitate towards the lower power end of the spectrum. When my motorcycle feels more nimble than my bicycle; that's what I like to see.

-Sean

I have a Moriwaki 250 and my husband has a BMW1000RR. I rode both, so I get both extremes... I get the biggest thrill from the Moriwaki but after a while I really start to miss the stomach-dropping acceleration the BMW provides. I don't care much about top speed, but being able to point the thing and take off like a rocket is quite an amazing feeling!

The BMW is remarkably nimble, it never feels like a tank to me, and it's a heck of a lot more comfortable to ride than the Moriwaki, which is rough-riding, cramped, and very easily upset by any excess body motion, wind, arm tension, etc.; however, the Moriwaki is much easier for me to handle and load in the trailer, costs a lot less in tires and gas, and allows (forces!) me to work on entry-speed, throttle control, cornering speed, and body position.

If I could only have one bike, I'd personally take the Moriwaki because it is teaching me more about riding and it costs a lot less to operate, so I can afford more practice time, plus it suits my small stature well, and it is very, very satisfying to pass a 1000cc bike in a turn. :)

But, if I was EVER planning to do any street riding, OR racing was my biggest priority, I'd pick the BMW, because it is street-legal, more comfortable to ride, and race classes are a lot more available.

Sean - congrats on your Moriwaki! It's gonna feel a LOT different than the Ninja, I'm sure you will have a blast. :)

For me it's the power!

I'm one of those folks who is uncomfortable leaning the bike. I don't naturally trust the physics, and I certainly don't trust the roads enough to just lean her in there and zip around like a wood sprite on amphetamines! So, I painstakingly tip toe through the corner like a junior high girl at her first dance, then get my kicks when I rocket out of the turn and grab a handful of 1/4 mile stomping acceleration!

Oh! Oh! Oh!

I'm with cobie on this: Both.

Massive mid corner speed is a different thing when you're cracking the throttle open on a 200bhp bike as is the unbelievable rush as you pile into your braking zone.

Nothing requires precision quite like a litre bike.

For every 10th of a second you miss your braking marker by at 180mph and you travel 1.5yrds further than at 150mph - that's the real difference between a 600 and a litre bike. Half a second out and you've missed your braking marker by 7.5 yards more than at 150 but here's the scary thing: you're doing 180mph and you've overshot your marker by 44yds.

Handling. It's good fun gassing it but if you have to slow down for bends because your bike's ######, believe me you get fed up with it a lot sooner than with people on bigger bikes getting away. There's something unmeasurable about suspension improvements, but for me they bring you the most pleasure.

• 1 month later...

I'm with cobie on this: Both.

Massive mid corner speed is a different thing when you're cracking the throttle open on a 200bhp bike as is the unbelievable rush as you pile into your braking zone.

Nothing requires precision quite like a litre bike.

For every 10th of a second you miss your braking marker by at 180mph and you travel 1.5yrds further than at 150mph - that's the real difference between a 600 and a litre bike. Half a second out and you've missed your braking marker by 7.5 yards more than at 150 but here's the scary thing: you're doing 180mph and you've overshot your marker by 44yds.

I have to agree with you my friend...at Road A this past year I used race fuel to clean the valves and tops of the pistons. I normally see about 170 mph on the speedometer down the back straight...with the race fuel I hit 180 mph. The brake markers were the same. The reaction time was the same but the forward momentum and speed carried me further into the corner than I expected...very exciting!

POWER! You can compensate for lack of handling (unless it's a carbon fiber frame). I'm on a 636 that comes out of the box with 110 HP. It's 6 years old and nothing internal has been adjusted or maintained, so it's probably at 80 or so HP. I watched Pridmore, Rapp and Greg White tearing up the track on literbikes yesterday and today, so of course I want power right now.

Who says you can't have both - the way they seem to be shrinking the new litre bikes to even smaller sizes...

I think electric bikes will be a whole bunch of fun when the technology matures. Smaller powerplant, small lightweight batteries, small dimensions no doubt and pretty much 100% torque from as soon as you twist the throttle... whoa!

For me it depends on where I'm riding - on a big fast track where you can get up to around 260km/h a big bike is still a real blast, that kind of speed always keeps you coming back for more. But that track I only rode once on a 600, it was just too boring. On the roads I'd prefer a 600 or smaller, too frustrating on a 1000cc when you can't legally shift out of 1st gear. laugh.gif

Archived