Gave Myself A Birthday Present...

I finally joined the liter bike club (I never considered the K1200R a "liter bike"). After 3 seasons of CSS classes on the S1000RR I just couldn't hold out any longer. I picked up a lightly used 2010 S1000RR this weekend!

I've been looking for a track bike for about a year (a fuel oil spill in my back yard last fall put the search on hold - nothing like a little hazardous waste to eat up you track bike funds). I had planned on buying a 600 and dedicating it to the track but just couldn't pull the trigger (most of the options around here are blinged out mall crawlers or rattle can painted IEDs). Ultimately I realized that with the saddle time I had on a CSS S1000RR, I should just suck it up and buy what I was comfortable on.

Of course, now I have a veritable catalogue of track supplies to buy...

post-16961-0-18243900-1342439927_thumb.jpg

Thanks guys. I'm looking forward to having a lot of fun on this one.

And thanks for the birthday wishes Rain!

Congrats.

sweet bike.

Question: Are the 2010 models affected by the rod bolt recall?

Jeff

Te recall was for bikes built between 9/1/2011 and 4/10/2012 so I'm good on this one.

Congratulations on the new ride! You need to bring that to VIR in Aug :)

I actually signed up for both single days at VIR before I bought it so I'm on the CSS bikes. I may have to call the office and see if there are any openings for personal bikes left (those usually fill up first though.

Are you going to be there? If so we'll have to catch up. We didn't get to talk much last time!

Congratulations on the new ride! You need to bring that to VIR in Aug :)

I actually signed up for both single days at VIR before I bought it so I'm on the CSS bikes. I may have to call the office and see if there are any openings for personal bikes left (those usually fill up first though.

Are you going to be there? If so we'll have to catch up. We didn't get to talk much last time!

Sadly I do not think I will make any of the CSS classes at VIR this summer. The consolation is the following week I get a VIR North track day and then a Marine Corps-sponsored STAR school at VIR.

I'm moving to New Orleans in September. You definitely should bring the new BMW down to NOLA, whether for CSS (in 2013) or a track day. That track is fantabulous :)

I'm moving to New Orleans in September. You definitely should bring the new BMW down to NOLA, whether for CSS (in 2013) or a track day. That track is fantabulous :)

That track is on the wish list for sure. A friend rode it this year and he is a big fan. CSS at NOLA next year...hmmm....

• 2 weeks later...

Very nice. cool.gif

Great that you were able to track test the S1000RR at CSS and decide that you like it! That's my biggest worry about the next bike I buy - a road test ride is hardly enough to judge how it will handle track laps.

• 2 weeks later...

sweet, how is she? Get ready for the spending to begin.... When I bought my Ducati, I vowed I wouldn't spend much... Ha, never stopped since. :rolleyes:

Bullet

1343448259[/url]' post='28574']

Very nice. cool.gif

Great that you were able to track test the S1000RR at CSS and decide that you like it! That's my biggest worry about the next bike I buy - a road test ride is hardly enough to judge how it will handle track laps.

I had been thinking about just buying a 600 for the track but I kept coming back to just what you said. I had 8 or 9 days on the S1000RR so I knew what it was like. And I think you are definitely right, a road test can not tell you what a bike will be like on the track (unless you have a serious disregard for traffic laws)

1344262168[/url]' post='28729']

sweet, how is she? Get ready for the spending to begin.... When I bought my Ducati, I vowed I wouldn't spend much... Ha, never stopped since. :rolleyes:

Bullet

She's awesome Bullet...maybe not as exotic as your Italian lady but probably more forgiving of my ham fisted attempts at making her purr. tongue.gif . And I said the same thing about the spending... but those Sato rearsets I had on the KR were nice, maybe the S needs a set...laugh.gif

ha ha, nice one. Yeah, its not as exotic as the lady, but doesn't come with the bills either no doubt. :unsure:

get them rearsets bought, you know you want to. dry.gif Let's have some video up of you riding her my friend.

Bullet

ha ha, nice one. Yeah, its not as exotic as the lady, but doesn't come with the bills either no doubt. :unsure:

Bullet, you do know about what they say of the Italian Ladies - they're pretty, but slightly crazy and erratic HMGs (High Maintenance Girlfriends) :P

Kai, wondering what Bullet's missus will say

Bullet, you do know about what they say of the Italian Ladies - they're pretty, but slightly crazy and erratic HMGs (High Maintenance Girlfriends) :P

Kai, wondering what Bullet's missus will say

She'd say I'm the high maintenance one in our life. (certainly with regards to bank balances anyway). :rolleyes:

Bullet

Get ready for the spending to begin.... When I bought my Ducati, I vowed I wouldn't spend much... Ha, never stopped since. :rolleyes:

I just bought a brand new Tuono V4R APRC, thankfully already with aluminum wheels, carbon pieces, CRG levers, Ohlins front/rear with damper and more...and I'm still looking at what I can spend money on!! A seat from raceseats.it and carbon side fairings sound like a good buy so far!

• 5 months later...

That's a sweet looking bike!

Thanks Franco. I managed to get a half a dozen track days in on her before the season ended and (no surprise) she was a lot of fun!

And way more competent that her pilot. :P