Just A Poll!

steph1000

are you faster following trying to catch someone or being up front???.....follow or leader???

I spend a fair amount of time behind guys and watching them, but in the end, a little better on my own.

are you faster following trying to catch someone or being up front???.....follow or leader???

I prefer not to follow someone as I always tend to turn in sooner than I would like for some reason but if I'm following a rider that I trust their capabilities and I know what they are doing is correct like a CSS instructor for example, then I like to follow!

Either on my own or following. I like getting out and being able to take my lines without worrying what anyone in front of me is doing. They usually brake where they should drive through, or something like that. I can SOMETIMES find someone who is about my speed or just a little slower who takes similar lines, and I like to get behind them and just cruise. A lot of times if someone is faster than me, they're FASTER than me, and I can't even try to keep up past a couple of corners.

I like being in front. If there is a rider in front it distracts me from where I like to brake, turn, drive, etc. In the long sweepers all I'm thinking about is whether I'm going to pass him on the outsdie or wait 'till he drifts out and take an inside line to pass. If a faster rider passes me, all I think about is trying to keep up, instead of thinking about my riding, and that doesn't help me get faster. The only time I don't mind being in back is when a friend who I know is faster wants to show me some better lines through some turns, so we purposely go out to pratice those lines.

Unless I am following the person in front of me for a reason I prefer to be out front. It messes with my riding less.

Im w/ you Kevin. I like to chase. Its funny how sometimes when you are chasing someone, you are faster in sections than when riding by yourself. Even if the person is a few hundred feet in front of you. I was talkin to a friend I was riding w/ at VIR, and I told him how I had in some sections when I was following. He then told me that when he was following me he had me in those same sections. My bike has a pretty good magnet in it! haha

i started this poll i should at least answer my own question..lol...i am faster when i try to follow someone a bit faster than me..gives me a target to shoot for and a goal...

i started this poll i should at least answer my own question..lol...i am faster when i try to follow someone a bit faster than me..gives me a target to shoot for and a goal...

So far it is 7 for the lead and 3 to chase....

i guess we will never win a race if we are faster only when someone is faster than us....lmao

For my fastest lap times, I want a rider who is a second or two per lap faster in front of me. If not, I'll go it alone so I can focus on what I'm doing.

I do find that if I'm following someone with good technique who is a little faster, this helps me look at other options for that turn (brake points, entry speed, angle of attack, turn point, etc.). I know through trial and error I can solve these things on my own, but it speeds my learning to see other successful solutions to a corner.

Of course, this is quite picky. If the person is too much faster than me (stuman) it doesn't do any good, since I'm only going to be able to observe for a couple corners before he's gone. So by myself or with someone just a little faster is when I'm at my best.

Sometime you don't have a choice? But for me I like to take the opportunity to see where one is braking, turning in, lines and where I am slower. I think to get faster, following sometimes helps build confidence. I have been in my track organizatiions advanced class for two track days now and the opportunity to be in front is short lived. It is just incredible how fast some of these guys are.

I have been in my track organizatiions advanced class for two track days now and the opportunity to be in front is short lived. It is just incredible how fast some of these guys are.

Which Club?

Kevin

Kevin,

I belong to NESBA....Southeast Region