Earplugs?

Bones

Earplugs?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use Earplugs?

• Yes
    • No
    • Never tried them

I didn't want to use earplugs and fought it for a while - they made me feel claustrophobic and disconnected, like being on cold medicine. Then I bought a new helmet, same brand (Shoei) but better ventilated than my old one. I was astounded at the difference in wind noise, now I HAVE to wear earplugs or the wind noise above about 100mph is actually painful and a big distraction. So, the helmet itself makes a big difference. Recently someone told me that those headsock things you can wear under your helmet reduce wind noise, too, but I haven't tried it.

It took me about three track days to get used to the feeling of wearing the earplugs. I wear them on all superbike trackdays and when driving go-karts (they are very high speed also) but not on my dirt bike or on the street.

I wear cheap throwaways, would like something better - where do you get the custom/reuseable type? Or is there a type of disposables that you like?

I would recommend a marksmanship store or shooting range.

Great idea, thank you! Do you think I could go to one without getting pulled into another expensive hobby?? :)

There use to be some local shops/guys that went to the tracks and did them.

There was someone in Orange County, that did them, anyone know where to get custom earplugs in SoCal? Or elsewhere for that matter?

C

ps--hey, now that the smilies work, we need one with earplugs! :ph34r::blink:

I didn't want to use earplugs and fought it for a while - they made me feel claustrophobic and disconnected, like being on cold medicine. Then I bought a new helmet, same brand (Shoei) but better ventilated than my old one. I was astounded at the difference in wind noise, now I HAVE to wear earplugs or the wind noise above about 100mph is actually painful and a big distraction. So, the helmet itself makes a big difference. Recently someone told me that those headsock things you can wear under your helmet reduce wind noise, too, but I haven't tried it.

It took me about three track days to get used to the feeling of wearing the earplugs. I wear them on all superbike trackdays and when driving go-karts (they are very high speed also) but not on my dirt bike or on the street.

I wear cheap throwaways, would like something better - where do you get the custom/reuseable type? Or is there a type of disposables that you like?

I would recommend a marksmanship store or shooting range.

Great idea, thank you! Do you think I could go to one without getting pulled into another expensive hobby?? :)

I have confidence in your self-control.

Forum members:

What would you guys think of an equipment section on the forum? We aren't looking to clutter up the forum any, and in fact areas that aren't used much (if at all) we'll drop, keep it clean.

One thing that has come up lately is questions on equipment, and I wonder if that could expand to resources for gear, parts, leathers, shops too. We won't be adding classifieds or anything like that, but say for example, if Hotfood knew about the 1/4 turn throttle and could have gotten a better one, would have saved her some drama.

Or, how about custom ear plugs? There used to be a a number of places, even guys doing them at the track, but haven't seen or heard of it (maybe it's happening) but would be nice to have some kind of resource.

Let me know what you guys think--it's your forum too.

C

Forum members:

What would you guys think of an equipment section on the forum? We aren't looking to clutter up the forum any, and in fact areas that aren't used much (if at all) we'll drop, keep it clean.

One thing that has come up lately is questions on equipment, and I wonder if that could expand to resources for gear, parts, leathers, shops too. We won't be adding classifieds or anything like that, but say for example, if Hotfood knew about the 1/4 turn throttle and could have gotten a better one, would have saved her some drama.

Or, how about custom ear plugs? There used to be a a number of places, even guys doing them at the track, but haven't seen or heard of it (maybe it's happening) but would be nice to have some kind of resource.

C

Cobie;

There was an exchange awhile ago on Frank Thomas (I think) gear that demonstrated to me at least that separating opinions from objective analysis will be a challenge; that said an open dialogue on what works and more importantly what doesn't is always helpful.

I know that my helmet choice has allowed me to type this note and a lesser one may not have...

So let's give it a go.

Kevin

Forum members:

C

Cobie;

There was an exchange awhile ago on Frank Thomas (I think) gear that demonstrated to me at least that separating opinions from objective analysis will be a challenge; that said an open dialogue on what works and more importantly what doesn't is always helpful.

I know that my helmet choice has allowed me to type this note and a lesser one may not have...

So let's give it a go.

Kevin

I have to agree, I think it would be great to have a section like that for some of the more important or common things people ask about. So at least they get pointed in the right direction in their search.

Here is where I got my custom molded monitors done, they have a very good article on Motorcyles and hearing protection. From what I understand one could go to a local hearing center your city and have molds made of your ears and then send the molds to get the monitors made, they are just like a musicians.

http://www.azearprotection.com/mc_info.htm

Here is where I got my custom molded monitors done, they have a very good article on Motorcyles and hearing protection. From what I understand one could go to a local hearing center your city and have molds made of your ears and then send the molds to get the monitors made, they are just like a musicians.

http://www.azearprotection.com/mc_info.htm

I've e-mailed them to see if there is something similar in the LA area. I could use a custom earpiece for my Jawbone, it's not comfortable and the stock pieces (and some aftermarket ones) are not either, but if I don't use them, I can't hear.

OK, I e-mailed the AZ guys (Arizona), turns out I know the guy! He runs MSF training down in Phoenix, this is another business of his.

Sounds good, but I'm not going to be in AZ in the near future, and I'm looking for someone in the SoCal area that can do a custom plug for my Jawbone--anyone know some in the local area?

Best,

CF

OK, I e-mailed the AZ guys (Arizona), turns out I know the guy! He runs MSF training down in Phoenix, this is another business of his.

Sounds good, but I'm not going to be in AZ in the near future, and I'm looking for someone in the SoCal area that can do a custom plug for my Jawbone--anyone know some in the local area?

Best,

CF

Could try http://www.earplugs4u.com/ . They're in Diamond Bar. I have no experience with them, but have heard good reviews.

Personally, I tried the Jawbone 2, but could not get a comfortable fit. I replaced it with the Motorola H710 and couldn't be happier. The H710 over the ear is only $35 and conveniently turns on when you flip it open.

Could try http://www.earplugs4u.com/ . They're in Diamond Bar. I have no experience with them, but have heard good reviews.

Personally, I tried the Jawbone 2, but could not get a comfortable fit. I replaced it with the Motorola H710 and couldn't be happier. The H710 over the ear is only $35 and conveniently turns on when you flip it open.

Hey, I'll check that out. I can't get a good fit either, but the people on the other end like the noise cancelling--do you know if that Motororla has it?

C

Hey, I'll check that out. I can't get a good fit either, but the people on the other end like the noise cancelling--do you know if that Motororla has it?

C

It has noise reduction and auto-volume for background noise. Jawbone seems to be the gold standard for noise cancellation, but I did not have great results with it likely due to fitment. People hear me just clearly with the H710, if not better. With the jawbone, my voice would drop out if the sensor nub wasn't firm on my cheek. This happened on windy days when I needed it most. It'll be a while, but I'll likely be at Sears in March with the H710 if you want to try it.

And on the topic of earplugs, I just bought a new box. Howard Leight Max 200 pair boxes are $25 at amazon.com with free shipping. 33NPR and Howard Leight stuff has been the most comfortable earplugs I've tried. If anyone's interested, I think it's a solid deal.

Best,

CF

Apollo,

THANK YOU for this excellent recommendation, I checked out the link above, called the guy on Friday, got an appt for Saturday. Fitting was easy, pricing was reasonable, and Mark was a super nice guy and terrific to work with. The whole process only took about 30 minutes, I got earplugs and an earpiece for my phone. I'll try the earplugs out on the bike next weekend and let you know how they work. So thanks again, this was very helpful!!

After this, Cobie, I'm all for adding that equipment section on the forum, I can sure see how it would be useful!

Best,

CF

Apollo,

THANK YOU for this excellent recommendation, I checked out the link above, called the guy on Friday, got an appt for Saturday. Fitting was easy, pricing was reasonable, and Mark was a super nice guy and terrific to work with. The whole process only took about 30 minutes, I got earplugs and an earpiece for my phone. I'll try the earplugs out on the bike next weekend and let you know how they work. So thanks again, this was very helpful!!

After this, Cobie, I'm all for adding that equipment section on the forum, I can sure see how it would be useful!

I just caught on that you guys are talking about Bluetooth phone usage while riding! I thought we were discussing ELIMINATING noise and distractions :-)

No blue tooth while riding, this was while driving :blink:

FYI, Hotfoot, another rider and I all got plugs made from earplugs4u over the weekend.

Good guy, good product, I'm totally satisfied.

If you are in SoCal, he's got a pretty flexible schedule, has a wide range he willing to travel, and he did our plugs on a Sunday at Hotfoot's house. He charges a little more if it's a house call for 1 guy, but if there are a few, don't know that he even charges that. I paid $90 for the custom Jawbone plug, AND a regular custom set.

I've had other custom plugs over the years, and liked how he did these, they are more durabable and he had some options with/without filters too. I'd recommend him w/out reservation.

Best,

CF

I have the custom made ones too. I have them to filter all noise as I use them when riding but also when coaching at the MotoGP and other races. Would not be without them and wished I had some when I first started to ride, a few decades ago now!

Forum members:

C

This sounds like a good idea! We all need riding equipment after all so recommendations and reviews would be good!

As a casual observation. I have noticed that not all riders at the race track, use earplugs.

Can earplugs make much of a difference? For me? Yes. Why? I'll try to explain why it works for me.

Firstly, when I'm driving my car and looking for a street address; Why is it that I turn down the radio? Turning the sound down doesn't make my sight any better, does it? But it does. Well, my perception is that it does. And my perception is my reality.

By turning down the radio, it would seem to give me more attention, by removing the unrelated noise to the task at hand. I get more out of my $10.

My internal dialog when I'm wearing earplugs, is clearer and I have more attention to spare ($10).

Cheers

ok I know i jumped into this late in the game but i wanted to add a couple of things. At one of my jobs i deliver pizza (domino's, they won't let us deliver on bikes, bummer) and i found that if the radio is on it takes 30% longer to find an address aswell as i find myself driving about 10mhp's slower just to search. as far as hearing loss from riding i'm deaf in my right ear anyways, never wore hearing protection in the marines, and i opperated a .50 cal on a daily basis(bad idea i know). Head phones, a friend of mine came to me with a question of how to keep his earbuds in place and so on and so forth. what we came up with wasn't the best idea in the world but it was functional. he got a 200 dollar set of dj headphones and i cut them up leaving on the the sound canceling covers and molded them into the inside of the helmet. there was enough space for him to be able to hear traffic noises that were important (sirens) and canceled enough of the road /wind noise to allow higher levels of focus. plus the audio was perfect. I personally don't have the kind of money to through down on a set of dj headphones but i have what is called a G-bag that i hook my mp3 player to, all it is, is a back pack with a flat 10in subwoofer and two 3 1/2 in speakers built into it, and it has it's own battery powered app aswell it's about as loud if not louder than a bike stereo but the sound is coming from behind you instead of in front. but I think i'm going to try the earplugs next time i ride, i'm young and stupid so i don't sweat being a test dummy. but that makes me the dummy....doesn't it?

OK, here's the update on the custom earplugs - I used them this weekend on the track. They were great, the sound filtration was terrific. The guy we used (www.earplugs4u.com in CA) offers the earplugs with a filter, to allow some sounds to come through, or without, which gives a higher dB block but is too quiet for some people. I used the ones with the filter, and they were perfect - great wind and engine noise blocking, but I didn't feel totally disconnected, and could still hear someone talk to me in the pit area if they spoke loudly. I found them easier to put in correctly than the foam ones, and very comfortable, and they never shifted out of position like the foam ones sometimes do, especially when taking my helmet on and off. I highly recommend them. One small point, they are not really soft so you need to try on your helmet after getting them fitted to make sure they are slimmed down enough that there is no pressure on your ear between the helmet and earplug. I need to have one of mine trimmed down slightly - it became a little uncomfortable by the end of the second day. But, overall, they were great, I like them a lot better than the foam ones.

After reading some of the other posts on this thread, I want to clarify something - we had earplugs made for blocking wind noise while riding on the track. None of us were trying to make something to use for listening to music or cellphone while riding, or for use while street riding. I DID have custom earpiece made for my cellphone headset, to make it fit better, but that was not for motorcycle use, it's just another service he offers and we decided to try it, and it does make the headset fit more comfortably and more securely.