Rossi And Lorenzo = Amazing

lwarner

The lean angle on this pic is ridiculous. I'm not sure what track this is... Catalunya?, not sure. Any guesses about their corner speed?

I was also kind of curious if anybody had a guess as to how many G's they'd have to pull to lean it over that far and pick it right back up.

Hahah, it looks like Lorenzo is dragging his whole thigh!

3844964284_086769d5c5_o.jpg

Yeah, I'm pretty sure both of them have those titanium elbow armor that Dainese uses.

I HATE it when photographers take pictures at angles like that! He must have been holding the camera about 30 degrees from level and its so much harder to really see how low of a lean angle they are getting. I don't think I could even get those tires up to temp but I'd love to ride one of their bikes even if its just for 1 lap.

This is my favorite picture of a low lean angle. Its a different type of bike and I'm sure it isn't exactly faster in this case but it looks like fun :lol: .

Supermotolowleanangle.jpg

post-15559-1251092142_thumb.jpg

Yep, they use sliders on their elbows.......

That is a great picture! I don't think he could tuck his arm in anymore then that and its still rubbing on the rumble strip. Even his head is only about a foot off the ground! That has to be an interesting view of the track, I wonder if he can even judge his exit by vision or if he just goes for it knowing its there.

I guess this is a little off topic, but I love those gloves. I thought maybe I'd get a pair but they were over 400 bucks! That's enough for gloves AND new rubber.

• 1 month later...

That rossi picture is very deceiving. The curb is very raised in relation to the part of the track that he is riding. Look at the angle change where the curb begins. He would not be in anything like the same position, if the curb was say, just painted, and the same continuation of the track he's riding on.

Still an amazing picture.

It's not deceiving, it's amazing lean angle. The track is banked. His knee is lower than his contact patch. Plus the GP bikes are thinner and taller providing the ability to lean much farther than ours can.

It was my screen saver for a while.

Fajita Dave-

What's the record?

Haha actually I have no idea. I just found that picture on another forum :P . I looked for it but I couldn't find it anywhere. It looks like a good 75-80 degrees to me though.

I don't think it can be that far. Pedrosa gets over 65 degrees, and he probably gets over farther than the others.

OK, anyone catch the GP this weekend--another Lorenzo high side I saw.

Now, what does he keep doing that keeps pitching him over the bars?

(I have an opinion).

(I have an opinion).

Cobie;

I thought it was because he damaged his front brake when he ran into the rear tire of Nicky Hayden's Ducati and went into T1 without complete control of his bike...No?

Rainman

(I have an opinion).

Death gripping the bars? Poor throttle control? The suspense is killing me!!!!!!!

Watched it though, sorry to say it was one of the less interesting races I've seen.

P.S. I think the poster that mentioned the 80-ish degrees of lean angle was referring to the pic of the motard?

It wasn't a highside. Lorenzo knocked into Hayden going into one and the bike shuttered. After that the bike slid sideways kinda, and then it slammed him to the ground. He wouldn't have been able to finish anyway. There had to be something wrong with the bike for it to do that.

I'm thinking it's the TC. Rossi had more control of the bike, and Stoner was sliding all over the place. He had control over the bike, but that's how highsides do happen. I'm thinking Lorenzo rides with his TC dialed way down. It doesn't look like it though from watching him.

It looked to me that after he hit Hayden (Lorenzo's left/ Hayden's right), that he tried to keep going. He steered and QT'd it down to his right knee. A few moments later, there were sparks and he was off the bike.

My theory is that he had a malfunction with the front end, which caused the collision and subsequent lowside. It didn't look like a typical power-slide on the side of a cold tire.

Once he was down, there was a violent tumble and considering the bike was in front of him and sliding away from him also confirms a lowside. I think the bike then snagged on the curbing and basically self-destructed.

OK--have a look if you can at the video.

Next, what's a highside? Back end slides, then hooks up and snaps back in line.

Lorenzo hits Nicky, then turns the bike in, all OK for a little while. Then the back end comes around as the first thing, then hooks up and pushes the front, min-high side, no?

I don't know about Lorenzo's bike, you guys can add that info here for all, that would be good.

But Lorenzo has had a number of highsides in the past 2 years, hasn't he?

Has Rossi had that many? Same bike and tires (more or less).

CF

If you have access to it, watch the vid. It was a highside! It was funky looking and I can see why it could look like a lowside, but (and I may regret saying this) I'm positive it was a highside.

(I have an opinion).

OK Cobie, I will have a go at this!

Just watched the twist 2 DVD and got the idea from that, as good a rider as lorenzo is (I'm a big fan) it looks to me that whenever he gets into trouble he does not use a smooth roll off with the throttle!

I have read the book loads and I missed this, associating rolling off with chopping the throttle, it seems that good throttle control works both ways, rolling on smoothly and when necessary rolling off smoothly!

Bobby