Tied Up On Tying Down

OK, I hear a lot of different things about tying down bikes. So I have some questions:

1) Is it bad for the suspension to tie a bike down tight, compressing the front forks? Is there any problem with leaving a bike tied down like that overnight?

2) If you think it is detrimental to compress the forks, what do you do instead? Do you use one of those fork brace things that goes on top of the front tire? Use a clamping front chock? Tie the back down?

3) Do you tie a knot in your tie-downs to lock them down? Have you ever had them slip and loosen over the course of a trip?

4) I usually use a Canyon Dancer but recently someone told me they "ruin your handgrips and can damage the throttle." Any truth to that? Have you experienced it (I've been using them a long time and haven't had any trouble) and if so, what do you do instead?

5) I never use ratcheting tie downs because I have heard they give so much leverage you can bend your bars, is that true?

FWIW, I currently use a Canyon Dancer, a front chock that cups the front tire but does not clamp it, I use 2 tie-downs in front and 2 in back, and I knot the front ones but not always the back. I did have a tied down slip once and that is why I use the knots. Haven't had any problems with this plan (so far), but maybe I am ruining my suspension and my handgrips. :) I look forward to hearing what others do, especially tips for quick, easy, reliable techniques.

OK, I hear a lot of different things about tying down bikes. So I have some questions:

1) Is it bad for the suspension to tie a bike down tight, compressing the front forks? Is there any problem with leaving a bike tied down like that overnight?

2) If you think it is detrimental to compress the forks, what do you do instead? Do you use one of those fork brace things that goes on top of the front tire? Use a clamping front chock? Tie the back down?

3) Do you tie a knot in your tie-downs to lock them down? Have you ever had them slip and loosen over the course of a trip?

4) I usually use a Canyon Dancer but recently someone told me they "ruin your handgrips and can damage the throttle." Any truth to that? Have you experienced it (I've been using them a long time and haven't had any trouble) and if so, what do you do instead?

5) I never use ratcheting tie downs because I have heard they give so much leverage you can bend your bars, is that true?

FWIW, I currently use a Canyon Dancer, a front chock that cups the front tire but does not clamp it, I use 2 tie-downs in front and 2 in back, and I knot the front ones but not always the back. I did have a tied down slip once and that is why I use the knots. Haven't had any problems with this plan (so far), but maybe I am ruining my suspension and my handgrips. smile.gif I look forward to hearing what others do, especially tips for quick, easy, reliable techniques.

So, answers quickfire.

1) Is it bad for forks, yes if you wind them down to the bottom, if you put just enough tension in (about half way), it seems ok. Ohlins forks have seals made from jello, and are a bit suscpetable for it, but if you're careful, its fine. Overnight, yeap, I've done it loads of times.

2) The rear "tyre down" gadgets are fantastic if you can use them, don't require any compression at all

3)I do in mine, and I do use ratchet straps. I ratchet them down enough to stop side to side movement and it won't slip, then just tie the ends up, stop them flapping.

4)I'm assuming that's a handlebar strap that goes over the yokes? If so, yes, they can damage the grips as the load is on them.

5) I never use the bar, if you can crash bungs are great, frames are good, etc, etc. On the Ducati I use only two, over the trellis frame, out at about 60 degress from the bike, down reasonably hard and voila, no probs.

Hope that helps Hotfoot. it's a personal thing, but it's what I do, and have done for years.

Bullet

Hi Hotfoot,

I use the tyre down ties down the rear and is great I'm also looking at a getting a front trailermate stand, locks in the front wheel, guess it will still need to be tied in to stop it bouncing out but no worries on suspension.

I dont use anything other than one tyre down and one strap to lock in the front tyre and have driven this configuration from one side of Australia to the other (Perth to Melbourne). No straps on bars or frame.

post-15771-128700054472_thumb.jpg

post-15771-128700063319_thumb.jpg

post-15771-128700065191_thumb.jpg

post-15771-128700080539_thumb.jpg

So many different variations out there but it all works smile.gif

Hottie;

I used the Canyon Dancer tie downs only once on a 3 hour trip to Pocono East. It was cold and rainy April track day and in the first session my throttle stuck WFO approaching the bus stop. I decided once I made it safely off the line that maybe I shouldn't use them anymore. ohmy.gif

Rainman

Although it can feel brutal to bottom out the suspension, I am not sure why it should damage anything. Yes, the internal pressure will increase with travel used, which will increase the force on the seals. But the force will be static and not rapidly changing as it would be while riding over bumps or when braking hard etc. The springs should not mind, it would just be like adding extra preload.

Still, if people have experienced problems with this, I am not about to argue - personal experience counts for more than theories.

Mr Wheelie king that is exactly what I have at home. Took the initial 10 minutes to install to the trailer and it's ready forever more... I spend too much time going to and from the track and this makes like a breeze.

Ready for it's first 600mi trip from Sydney to Victoria (Phillip Island) in a couple of weeks, but considering this is what is used by Mladin (I hear!) in AMA I'm sure it's perfectly at home doing such a run.

P.s. They were cheap to ship to Aus too... surprisingly!

Hi guys,

I was once told by my suspension guy that there is nothing worse that I can do to my suspension than to compress it using rachet straps for a multiple of reasons, not just seals, had something to do with angles of straps, suspension still trying to work whilst on the trailer, pressure on clamps/bars etc, etc. All I want is to get the suspension working properly whilst I am riding, I don't want to have to worry about if I am damaging it when I travelling to and from the track as well. Only so much brain capacity for suspension related issues!!!

Hence, this is where I bought my Tyredown from http://www.kyaracing.com.au/index.htm, couple of US dealers listed there too.

Just my 2 cents

Cheers

Ash

Wow, OK, lots of cool ideas, thanks! Holy Moly Rainman, what a story, glad you came out of that OK and that is quite a good reason to be scareful with the bar-end straps!

Thanks to those that posted about the Tyre-down, I had never seen that product before and it looks like a great idea, I think I'll give that one a try, at least on the rear. The cords don't do any damage to soft race tires? Do these straps actually prevent the bike tipping side to side?

Don't think the Pit Bull restraint is an option for me yet, AFAIK they don't make one to fit my current ride, an MD250H. Same problem with clamping front stands, I have one but it is too wide for the ultra skinny front tire, the wheel just twists out of it.

Do these straps actually prevent the bike tipping side to side?

They're brilliant, they don't damage tyres either. We have one of the school bikes strapped down with the tyre down and we do static paddock drills for students body positions on it, and it works a treat.

Bullet

Haven't looked at all the different options, but some over all data:

1. We have had seals blow back when we tied down 25-30 bikes.

2. We always went lighter on the front than the rear.

3. Never used ratched straps, can get too tight, and too slow.

4. Always used 4. If only using 2 and one brakes...you r screwed.

5. Currently use a strapless system in the truck where the bikes are chocked in front/rear, but not viable for most.

6. Keith's race bike was tied down once too tightly and ruined the springs.

7. If using straps, don't use the cheesy thing ones, spend the extra dough, get the good ones, they will last a long time if you don't leave them in the sun all the time.

CF

I've used a Canyon Dancer with no problems. Doing some internet research, I cut a length of PCV pipe in a size large enough to fit over the handlebar grips, then slide the dancer ends over that. That solves the binding of the strap on the rubber.

I've seen a "Condor" chock in action. Very sweet. Run the bike up into it; it clicks in, and the bike is stable. Perhaps when I've excess money and am doing track days more often I'll own one.

I am a cheap guy, and use tie downs without Canyon Dancer. However, I use it differently. I cut a length of strap only from a tie down (eliminate the metal parts). I wrap the pure strap around the handbar and then attach two ratchets-- one to each end of same strap. I can adjust and balance bike easily from both side with ratchets and not bottoming out the shock. It works fine with me and no metal pieces near the bike to touch the handbar or throttle. Worths trying if you forget your Canyon Dancer.