Tank Pads, Survey

Cobie Fair

We have been pushing tank pads for a while. Loved the original Stomp Grip, then we tried Tech Spec, now we have a newer version of the Stomp.

Here are the survey questions:

1. Do you use any kind of tank pads?

2. If so, which kind and why?

3. If so, what have you noticed with them?

4. If not, how come?

This is for both the track rider and street rider.

Like to know what you guys have noticed.

Best,

Cobie

(PS: Lurkers, ok to come out of the closet on this).

4. If not, how come?

1: Yes, only on my track bike at the moment tho

2: Newer style Stomp Grip

3: Control under braking and ability to lock onto the bike is vastly superior on my track bike as compared to my street bike

4: cause they don't make them for my street bike and I dislike the look of the generic square pads sad.gif

on a side note I was already planning on looking at the assortment you guys have for sale at the school this weekend for a set to put on the street bike biggrin.gif

4. If not, how come?

1- Yes - On all of my race bikes

2- Original style Stomp grip. Liked it the first time and haven't seen a need to change in the past 4 bikes! Only wish they supplied older bikes as my current bike has to use cut generic pads and they have started to lift a bit where I made the cuts. I also like them because they are clear (unlike techspecs), so keep the look of the original bike (which I think is important in classic/post classic racing)

3- I use them predominately for gripping the tank while braking hard and they work very well.

4- N/A

1. Do you use any kind of tank pads? Nope, but I'd like some real classic ones on my KZ650

2. If so, which kind and why? Classic ones for a combination of style and fuction. The tank is rather slim, and thick rubber pucks would make it easier to grab the tank. And the paint will be protected.

3. If so, what have you noticed with them? N/A but expect added friction will make it that much easier to stay in position.

4. If not, how come? N/A

4. If not, how come?

1. Yes. Both road and track

2. Stomp grips

3. They wear my leathers :) but I also feel that I am better anchored on the bike(s).

4. It's been 1 year, 15 days so memory is hazy...

I have used Tech Spec and now use Stomp Grip (I had them on the K1200R and just put a set on the new S yesterday!). I originally thought the Stomp Grip would be too aggressive for the street so I went with the Tech Spec however I didn't feel they offered enough grip. The Stomp Grip is more agressive and I do not find it uncomfortable (at least in leathers or jeans but if you ride in shorts you may not like them).

As for performance, I find I have a better lock on to the bike with less effort. I especially notice it under hard braking. At ~$50 they have to have the best ROI of any mod you can do to your bike.

By the way, the Tech Spec's were a little easier to install for several reasons: you can take them off and re-install if you botch the first attempt, and they are thicker and more ridged than the Stomp Grips which makes them easy to align. Also the clear Stomp Grips can end up with bubbles however if you use a heat gun and warm them up until they are very pliant, then you can easily avoid the bubbles.

I have Tech Spec "High Fusion" on my Speed Triple. It's thin and has a rough, pebbled surface. I picked this particular tank grip because it blends nicely with the style of the bike (at least the way I applied it) but still helps me get a more firm grip with my knees. I bought a generic sized sheet and cut pieces to the size and shape I wanted for my bike. I am happy with the appearance and feel but the durability isn't extremely good. I may switch to something a little more aggressive since I plan to add more track days to my schedule.

We have been pushing tank pads for a while. Loved the original Stomp Grip, then we tried Tech Spec, now we have a newer version of the Stomp.

4. If not, how come?

Best,

Cobie

1.Yes

2.Tech spec.I ve used Stomp grip which are better(they have more traction than Techspec)

3.Better traction on my legs that help when I ride specially on track.

I use Tech Spec C3, the new material. It is soft, grippy and great!!!

I would recommend to any and everyone, especially for the road, but if I had a track tool, I might try the Stomp Grips. I do not feel like I am missing out on grip levels by using the tech spec though, they are perfect for my needs.

I use Tech Spec C3, the new material. It is soft, grippy and great!!!

I would recommend to any and everyone, especially for the road, but if I had a track tool, I might try the Stomp Grips. I do not feel like I am missing out on grip levels by using the tech spec though, they are perfect for my needs.

I saw the C3 on their website (stopped by after posting on this thread) and I was curious how it worked. I had the Snake Skins and at first they were useful but after a year or so they seemed to lose most of their grip. The softer material seems like a good idea for a street machine.

4. If not, how come?

Best,

Cobie

1. Yes

2. Originally tried Tech Spec, based on good reviews, etc. Then switched to Stomp Grip.

3. Tech spec was decent, but I still never felt "locked in" when using it. Stomp Grip is definitely more aggressive provides a much more positive "lock on" during pivot steering and braking.

For the street rider that does not wear leather pants, the Stomp grips can be irritating, so Tech Spec might be better. But for the track, I much prefer the Stomp grip.

4. If not, how come?

Yes

Tech Spec - they were easy to apply, could be moved around and looked much better on my bike.

I noticed that they work without the "dragon teeth" feel of Stomp Grips. Those actually wore down the leather on my Joe Rocket pants and I could feel the numbs through my knees.

Rainman

4. If not, how come?

1. Yes

2. I bought Stomp Grip universal pads at CSS in August. Will be adding them to my new bike soon, too.

3. Much better grip.

4. N/A

Excellent info, thanks all.

I'd mentioned this at one point, but we had actually talked to them (Keith did) about the old style Stomp Grip. It was even more grippy...I do hope they bring that back as an option. The ability to get fully locked on with much less effort was ideal for track usage.

CF

1. Yes

2. Stomp; I like the additional strip they provide for the S1000RR to use below the tank for better grip for us short riders. Asthetically, I like how the clear version shows the painted tank on the '12 S1000RR motorsport.

3. Grippier than tech-spec

4. N/A

*I've used Tech Spec on my 1198 which initially provided adequate grip and enabled me to re-use the pad when I change the fuel tank. Unfortunately, the grippy surface became smooth and less grippy with age.

Whenever we do a flyaway School, we end up riding someone else's bikes. Priority for all of us is to pack Stomp Grips for the Coach Bikes in our luggage. Two, maybe three, days on track all day is exhausting enough but the Stomps help no end. Given the choice, I wouldn't ride without them!

1. Yes

2. Stomp Grips. They have the most grip.

3. The way they are engineered is excellent, they fit perfectly on the bikes they are designed for, often included tiny pieces that stick to the smaller crevices on the tank. I think i use the new model stomp grips. They stay on for a long time as well and they are offered in black or clear.