What doing in the downtime?

Anyone doing anything riding related in the downtime?  I've been threatening to dirt ride, should happen this weekend...finally.  And ideally taking my daughter to ride, first time--looking forward to it.

So, anyone else?  Polishing the bike?  Doing upgrades?  Watching old races?  Re-reading Twist?  Telling lies to your pals?  Hanging out on forums?

Hope your daughter will enjoy the experience when it happens 🤞👌

Pretty much do what I always do* since winter usually means no riding anyway. Now that Spring has just started to indicate it may happen this year as well, there will be less riding than typical, as we are asked to reduce risk whereever we can in order to put a minimum of extra stress on the highly occupied health care system.

* I read a lot of magazines related to motorcycles, pester forums, have read a lot on suspension and also experimented quite a bit with setting up my Deauville, watch YouTube for information and entertainment related to bikes. And just day-dreaming about bikes 😁

Watching some old races (MotoGP just put up the top 10 underdog races for free). Installing a few new parts/trying to support local parts retailers that offer online purchases. Pulled the rear wheel and gave that entire area a thorough cleaning. Gotta spread these things out so I’ll probably pull the front next week, then I’m due for an oil change.  Studying video of Barber in anticipation of May. 

I just ran across all my class/level notes from past schools yesterday and will spend some time looking over those. 

Super tempted to go for a spirited ride as we’ve had beautiful weather, but erring on the side of caution for the sake of unnecessary load on healthcare just in case/accidents happen. 

And staying in shape riding my road bicycle trainer and we have a Pilates reformer too. 

Sounds good, both of you guys. 

You both mention being a bit reticent to get too crazy (and get hurt).  Responsible fellows!  But (being part hooligan) I will ask how often do you boys get banged up?  Could a little hooliganing (unlikely an actual verb) be good enough for the soul to be worth the risk?

I've got one friend (very good rider) but knows he has no self-restraint, and so won't go dirt riding with me.  Do you boys fall in that category, or just generally responsible fellows.

Best,

Cobie

I trust my own ability to moderate my hooliganism, it’s the other people out there on public roads that I’m more fearful of. I might not be able account for their actions. 

That said, you’ve got me thinking about risk/reward - my mind, body and soul could really use some happy moto freedom. 

I'm not riding much, but I've started to spend some time cleaning up the garage to have some workspace for the bikes as well as started trying to exercise more to get in physical shape, which should help with riding as well.

I have consistently ridden above my skill level and/or the road conditions because I loved the imagined ability to control the bike at the limit of adhesion and/or cornering clearance more than I feared the risks. The result has been a multitude of accidents and a significant amount of injuries, some that are lifetime bothers. Now I do not find the same pleasure of riding on the limit, especially when visibility is limited, although I still enjoy throwing sparks every now and then. 

One weird thing that I have - and do - noticed is that the gentler I ride, the more often I end up in situations that would have been critical if I went fast. Like cars on the wrong side of the road, road blocked by cattle or tractors, oil or gravel on the road, drivers not stopping for crossing traffic etc etc. I would say when I ride very responsibly, there are at least ten times as many potential close calls/accidents than when charging, for whatever reason. But I do find satisfaction in that these incidents no longer represent any serious danger, since my speed is adapted to the conditions instead of based on luck.

23 hours ago, El Colibri said:

I trust my own ability to moderate my hooliganism, it’s the other people out there on public roads that I’m more fearful of. I might not be able account for their actions. 

That said, you’ve got me thinking about risk/reward - my mind, body and soul could really use some happy moto freedom. 

I'm SOOOO looking forward to getting on my dirt bike tomorrow!  Hope you get some moto time in soon :)

• Like 1

18 hours ago, yakaru said:

I'm not riding much, but I've started to spend some time cleaning up the garage to have some workspace for the bikes as well as started trying to exercise more to get in physical shape, which should help with riding as well.

Good use of your time (doing a bit of the same :))

14 hours ago, faffi said:

I have consistently ridden above my skill level and/or the road conditions because I loved the imagined ability to control the bike at the limit of adhesion and/or cornering clearance more than I feared the risks. The result has been a multitude of accidents and a significant amount of injuries, some that are lifetime bothers. Now I do not find the same pleasure of riding on the limit, especially when visibility is limited, although I still enjoy throwing sparks every now and then. 

Had a few close calls in the canyons...really didn't care for that!  I get enough time on racetracks that there isn't much interest in being silly on the street.

But the few times I ride in the dirt...I really need to wear all the gear (and I do :)).

Best,

Cobie

• Like 1

I've been getting out when the weather's nice. I have a buddy who just picked up a 2020 S1000RR and wants to get the miles in so he can get that 600 mile service so I've been riding with him a lot. When I'm not doing that or working I'm playing Ride 3 on my xbox one lol. I can't stay away from 2 wheels haha! I have that track itch so bad right now. 

On 4/17/2020 at 6:14 PM, Cobie Fair said:

I'm SOOOO looking forward to getting on my dirt bike tomorrow!  Hope you get some moto time in soon :)

Hope you had a great time. Did you get your daughter out there too?

We had a beautiful day today and decided to ride for a few hours... Yes, it felt really really good. My wife decided to take her bike out as well. 

So nice to be in the moment on two wheels.  

2 hours ago, El Colibri said:

Hope you had a great time. Did you get your daughter out there too?

We had a beautiful day today and decided to ride for a few hours... Yes, it felt really really good. My wife decided to take her bike out as well. 

So nice to be in the moment on two wheels.  

We made it out, about 2 hours north of LA in the desert.  Had a great time, daughter loved it--asking about going again this coming weekend!  

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

In Northwest Florida we've had great weather, and I've put over 3,000 miles on the K1200S and 2,000 miles on the F6B since early February.

Granted, finding a curvy road in these parts is quite difficult, so I broke a few legislative edicts and rode to NW Georgia more than a few times...    

A man after my own heart, good for you! (in breaking jackass edicts...oops, I did print that didn't I, it wasn't my inner voice?).

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Cobie Fair said:

A man after my own heart, good for you! (in breaking jackass edicts...oops, I did print that didn't I, it wasn't my inner voice?).

The Constitution is my guidance & friend.

Power possessed politicians?  Not so much...

Riding from Pensacola to Camden, AL today - AL hwy 41 is called the "Baby Dragon" or "Southern Dragon" - we'll see.... 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 53Driver said:

The Constitution is my guidance & friend.

Power possessed politicians?  Not so much...

Riding from Pensacola to Camden, AL today - AL hwy 41 is called the "Baby Dragon" or "Southern Dragon" - we'll see.... 

I will be really interested to hear if anyone hassles you about crossing the state line.

Nope!  Great ride today!
Of course, I was crossing the state lines on rural two lane roads - lol.

And while Hwy 41 is fun, classifying it with Hwy 129 is a severe mis-comparison!

Cheers,

Steve

Sunday went to the Blackwater State Forest and played cornering techniques at 65%.  What fun!

Didn't cross any state lines, but did find some really great BBQ!

Screenshot_20200504-101837.png

Got on the F6B and patronized a local restaurant that was opening backup - the Tin Cow.

The exuberance of the staff getting back to work was great to see.  

Screenshot_20200505-084104.png