Sliding My (slow) Ass Across The Seat

Ayup, I recently did my level 3 and whilst I enjoyed it and learned a lot, one thing has been bugging me.

When sliding your arse (ass) across the seat what is the correct technique?

I was told by my coach to;

Press inside knee into the tank and use the inner knee/thigh to help slide my arse across in to position for the turn.

Have I understood this correctly? I found level 3 very hard as I learned techniques that were alien to me and I'm not sure if I misunderstood this technique.

Thanks

Ayup, I recently did my level 3 and whilst I enjoyed it and learned a lot, one thing has been bugging me.

Press inside knee into the tank and use the inner knee/thigh to help slide my arse across in to position for the turn.

Have I understood this correctly? I found level 3 very hard as I learned techniques that were alien to me and I'm not sure if I misunderstood this technique.

Thanks

That is my understanding as well. When I did level 3 that was the most unnatural and difficult thing for me to get during the class portion. As I've been practicing it, it is feeling more comfortable (or less uncomfortable) :-)

Thanks

That is my understanding as well. When I did level 3 that was the most unnatural and difficult thing for me to get during the class portion. As I've been practicing it, it is feeling more comfortable (or less uncomfortable) :-)

Can take a bit of getting used to, but the alternate is to come up, and is that really needed?

CF

Do you mind just clarifying this one point.....

"Press inside knee into the tank and use the inner knee/thigh to help slide my arse across in to position for the turn."

When you say "inside knee" do you mean "inside of the knee", or the inside knee (i.e left knee in a left hander), or something else?

May seem a minor point, but if there's been a misunderstanding there it would certainly make things harder than they need to be, so we'll just make sure.

"Press inside knee into the tank and use the inner knee/thigh to help slide my arse across in to position for the turn."

When you say "inside knee" do you mean "inside of the knee", or the inside knee (i.e left knee in a left hander), or something else?

May seem a minor point, but if there's been a misunderstanding there it would certainly make things harder than they need to be, so we'll just make sure.

I'm pretty sure they are talking about using your right knee for a right turn to help get into position. I never actually thought about what muscles/body parts I used to get slid off the seat and into the hang off position. I think I usually lift off the seat with my legs and slide off to the side of the bike. It would probably make it a lot easier to just slide yourself over by using your inside knee so you don't get tired as quickly.

I'm pretty sure they are talking about using your right knee for a right turn to help get into position. I never actually thought about what muscles/body parts I used to get slid off the seat and into the hang off position. I think I usually lift off the seat with my legs and slide off to the side of the bike. It would probably make it a lot easier to just slide yourself over by using your inside knee so you don't get tired as quickly.

There's kind of a slick way to practice this and get the idea of how to use your knee to pull yourself across the bike. Put your bike on its kickstand, so it's leaned over to the left (you should have someone standing by to keep the bike from tipping over in case you get too exuberant). Get in a hang-off position for a left turn. Now use your RIGHT knee but NOT YOUR ARMS (take your hands off the bars completely if you can) to pull yourself back into the middle of the seat.

Since you are leaned to the left, and have to pull yourself up against gravity to get back into the seat, you can REALLY feel the muscles required. If you have someone supporting the bike for you, you could then try using that right knee to pull yourself over toward a right-side hang off position.

This was shown to me at the school, and doing it that way made it a LOT more obvious than trying it on a bike that's straight up on wheel stands.

I used to always lift up, scoot over, then sit back down, but as I got faster that action became more and more abrupt (almost a bounce), upsetting the bike and loosening my grip on it enough that a rough spot in the track would launch me up out of the seat a bit. When I started using my knee to pull myself across, it took less time, was more secure, and didn't upset the bike as much; it definitely worked better.

I rekon your seat profile could have a lot to do with it (or I could be proved wrong...) for example your Ducati or GSXR has little more than a padded slide to perch your cheeks on, but other bikes with considerable abilities yet a slightly different take on proceedings (I am obviously referring to my speed triple as an example here) have a seat that one can comfortably tour on due to good padding and comfortable profile, but those very attributes makes it nigh on impossible to lever one's derriere by use of the inside knee, imho. It'd have to be an up and over I'd say! Having said that I've seen blokes on the same bike as mine knee down on the track, whilst I haven't attempted it myself just yet, still focussing on other factors. Well I suppose there have been the odd occasions where I might have dangled the knee toward the track, only to be sadly disappointed by the lack of proximity between the road surface and the hopeful limb. Getting off topic I guess!

Yes mate inside of inside knee and inner thigh of inside leg.......So the way I understood what I was taught would be (for a left hand turn).

• Press the left knee into the (left) tank scallop and use that knee inner thigh to slide my ass across the seat to the left.
  • So I'm pulling my ass left across the seat with my left leg.

It feels weird for sure, but like Cobie said the alternative is to lift off the seat and unsettle the bike. Keep the bike stable, right?? ;)

Thanks for the help

Oh and by the way, I met Keith and Dylan Code and Bullet from this parish.

Slow'Name dropper'Ass

Yes mate inside of inside knee and inner thigh of inside leg.......So the way I understood what I was taught would be (for a left hand turn).

• Press the left knee into the (left) tank scallop and use that knee inner thigh to slide my ass across the seat to the left.

It feels weird for sure, but like Cobie said the alternative is to lift off the seat and unsettle the bike. Keep the bike stable, right?? ;)

Thanks for the help

Slow'Name dropper'Ass

Thats exactly right mate, you got it clear there for sure.

And it was nice to meet you! Keep us posted on your progress mate!

Bullet

Thats exactly right mate, you got it clear there for sure.

And it was nice to meet you! Keep us posted on your progress mate!

Bullet

Cheers you too mate. I'm trying to get some trackdays in to practice what I learned, but my damn shifts keep getting in the way <Grrrr>

I had a great if knackering day and the track was excellent.

Thanks for the help

Slow'Name dropper'Ass

I also did my L3 recently and the impression I got in this subject was that its ok to lift off the seat very slightly, as in basically just enough to ulnload the pressure on the seat pad! by doing this I find that you can move knee to knee quite smoothly.

Can take a bit of getting used to, but the alternate is to come up, and is that really needed?

CF

I haven't taken CSS yet, but I watched some youtube videos on the subject by Andy Ibbott. I take it sliding helps the bike not upset the suspension. A question I had on this was watching the Moto GP guys, they still lift off the seat to get over to the other side. Is this due to the timing or lack of time to get from one side to another? I've seen Rossi and others do this.

Also, I hope it's not off topic, but with quick turns to get the bike leaned over to the proper lean angle, technically how quick can you flick it? I'm still skeptical to do this, but I've read in TOTW, pages 74 & 75, Keith states: "The second rule of steering - as quick as possible." On page 75, Keith goes on "I don't think you could ever turn the bike quick enough to lose the front unles it was setup wrong or there was something on the track."

Thanks,

Harry

A question I had on this was watching the Moto GP guys, they still lift off the seat to get over to the other side. Is this due to the timing or lack of time to get from one side to another? I've seen Rossi and others do this.

Also, I hope it's not off topic, but with quick turns to get the bike leaned over to the proper lean angle, technically how quick can you flick it? I'm still skeptical to do this, but I've read in TOTW, pages 74 & 75, Keith states: "The second rule of steering - as quick as possible." On page 75, Keith goes on "I don't think you could ever turn the bike quick enough to lose the front unles it was setup wrong or there was something on the track."

Thanks,

Harry

With how crazy fast the moto GP riders can flick the bike I wouldn't be surprised if they were just getting lifted off the seat because of the flick. When I flick my bike from one side to the other on some fun sections of street riding I feel like I get pretty light on the seat and they flick it twice as fast as I do from much lower lean angles. If you think about it its the same motion that happens in a high-side wreck. The bike stands up quickly and you get thrown off the top.

I was kind of nervous about quick turning my bike from a somewhat low lean angle as well, however, like Keith said "I don't think you could ever turn the bike quick enough to lose the front unles it was setup wrong or there was something on the track." Sense I don't have any track experience either (on-road anyway) I haven't reached the full lean potential of the bike and tire, but it has to be true otherwise there would be a lot more wrecks in sportbike racing. I don't think it would be a good idea to try a quick turn while on the brakes but I could be wrong. Besides that the bike wont turn very quick on the brakes anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks

There are videos on youtube if you need to review. Search on California Superbike School.