Shifting Poll, How Do You Do It?

I know we've gone over this a bit elsewhere, but I'd like to know what you guys do shifting, so all are invited to respond, even lurkers:

Shift with the clutch up and down.

Upshift without the clutch, but use it going down.

Downshift without the clutch.

Might be nice if you added if you are a street rider, or also do track riding.

I'll start:

I mostly track ride (at the schools) but also commute now and again. I don't use the clutch up or down, 90% of the time.

What do you do?

CF

Apart from trying it every couple of years just to make sure I still master it should the clutch cable/hydraulics fail, I always use the clutch for downshifts. Upshifts, I probably use the clutch at least 80% of the time. Clutchless upshifts often happen naturally when I'm fanging. They are also better when riding with a passenger because shifts are smoother. However, I find that low rpm shifts without using the clutch can get clumsy and jerky - when I'm the operator, at least.

I solely ride on the streets.

I always do clutchless upshifts no matter what I'm riding.

Downshifts:

• On the street I do clutchless downshifts
  • On the dirt I do mostly clutchless downshifts, although i do use the clutch in some corners
  • Supermoto - On a supermoto track I use the clutch for down shifts. However, I don't blip the throttle, I just grab the clutch drop a few gears and let the clutch out slow
  • Roadracing - a mix of clutched and clutchless downshifts, I always blip the throttle either way

Mostly street riding

Round town clutch up and down

Moderate to hard riding, no clutch up, clutch, blip throttle to change down

Hard to extreme riding, clutch up most of the time and clutch, blip throttle to change down

Street riding - clutch up and down.

Unless there's an opportunity for a bit of a squirt. Then no clutch up, and depending on the situation, no clutch down.

Generally I'll not use the clutch from 6th gear down to 3rd. If I have to change down lower, then I'll use the clutch.

Track days - no clutch up or down, but once again, from 3rd down I'll use the clutch.

Don't really think about it, just happens.

I figure it's got to be a little easier on the drive train at lower gears. And yes, I blip also.

I guess I'm still riding mostly on the road.

Until a couple of months ago, I hadn't even tried doing a clutchless downshift, but thanks to this forum, I am now able to do a clutchless downshift.

On the road, I mainly use the clutch both up and down, but I'm practising doing clutchless shifting for the benefit of the track riding (I've changed the gear lever on the road bike to match the racebike).

On the track, I predominantly use clutchless upshifting, but use the clutch when going down. Since I have to be at fair low rpm to make a nice, positive clutchless downshift without gearbox noises, I don't do them much if at all (haven't got the time, you know ;-).

Kai

Interesting, what some riders do in the different modes of riding. For around town riding, I find it very easy to leave the clutch alone on all the upshifts, accelerate a little, roll off and click. Downshifts at low rpm can be a little harder, and a while back I realized I blipping a little too much.

For me it has more to do with which bike I ride. I have a '98 VFR and it is a bit notchy without the clutch, so I generally clutch it both up and down. It doesn't take much clutch to do this and the shifts are pretty quick.

I also have an '02 CBR 954. The transmission on that bike seems to not mind clutchless shifting, so if I do lots of clutchless upshifts and some clutchless downshifts.

I always use the clutch, up and down. I can do it without the clutch either way but I don't see the point, don't see any advantage, and using the clutch seems smoother and less prone to error.

I also pretty much always blip on downshifts. I've noticed a lot of good riders who still haven't learned the blipping, and think it's a shame they are so resistant to learning it 'cos it makes downshifting so much easier, smoother, and quicker, and frees up attention span at the ever important turn entries.

I typically clutch up and down, unless maybe coming in hot on a short curve I'll take advantage of the slipper. I try to practice blipping as well, but on the street it's rare I'm pushing the rpm's high enough for it to really work.

From the sounds of it folks must go through dog ears like crazy! Can't imagine how many chunks o metal are floating around the crank case. :D

Very normal here I'm afraid. Clutchless up always, regardless of speed, and sometimes down, though only when going moderately quickly. When racing or when undertaking some enthusiastic riding, I use the clutch for downshifts.

Bullet

Bullet and others: Just exactly how to you do a clutch-less shift between first and second (either way)? I invariably find that trying to do that will end me up in Neutral (bummer!).

Kai

Yesterday I tried clutchless upshift while riding downhill and it didn't work. did i do something wrong?

Did you try to do this like Cobie?:

[...] I find it very easy to leave the clutch alone on all the upshifts, accelerate a little, roll off and click [...]

The "accelerate" part is very important but not so easy during speedy downhill riding...

-UFI-

Yesterday I tried clutchless upshift while riding downhill and it didn't work. did i do something wrong?

Did you try to do this like Cobie?:

[...] I find it very easy to leave the clutch alone on all the upshifts, accelerate a little, roll off and click [...]

The "accelerate" part is very important but not so easy during speedy downhill riding...

-UFI-

i got it. i was not accelerating since was going downhill. biggrin.gif will try again )

• 3 weeks later...

Can you explain, break down the correct rider input & control action to implement the clutchless down change

The clutchless downshift was explained in this thread: Clutchless Down Shifting?

Basically it's the same as with a clutchless upshift, with directions reversed: close the throttle, load the gear lever for a downshift, blip the throttle UP - and you're done. I've found that it wors best at low rpm and between the taller gears (since they are closer in ratio).

Hope this helps,

Kai

Hey everyone

As a club racer and track day regular, one of the best things I have invested in is a quick shifter. For about £300 I have improved my lap times by about 2 seconds as this reduces the necessity to having to close the throttle when upshifting. If I am racing someone at a similar pace I can literally see the effects as the bike leaps forward during gear changes. Downshifting, I use the clutch without blipping the throttle. As Stuman says, leaving the downshifting for just a moment minimises the wheel sliding around and puts less stress on the transmission.

Steve

Today, I went for a gentle 100 mi ride and worked a lot on upshifting under mild acceleration and low rpm without the clutch. I learned that I tend to be too abrupt; chopping the throttle more than I need to and then opening it too much too rapidly. My technique improved a lot during the ride, but it's still not consistent enough. When shifting during a steady pace or slow acceleration, I found I could hesitate a moment before gently rolling on the throttle after each upshift, which smoothed things brilliantly. More practice tomorrow.

I'm kinda playing with clutchless upshift right now, but with our offseason during the summer, am riding the EX 650 mostly. It feels weird on the twin. My ZX6R is smooth, and I'll start riding it to get used to it again before trackdays resume in mid-September. Haven't even tried the downshifting without clutch on either.